Dredging idaho

Scoutdude

Jan 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all! New member here. Been lurking here for awhile now. Great place ,glad to be here.
I live in Colorado and have family in Idaho. I've done a few highbanking trips to my uncles claims around
Featherville - rocky bar. I acquired a few claims on the Middle fork of the Boise River.
I understand I need
water permit for highbanking, settling pond etc.
suction dredge permit from the state of Idaho
Permit from epa (boo-hiss)
My claims are up river ,from the off limit areas specified on the idaho blm site. However the EPA site (BOO-HISS) , doesn't have a clear map of what is off limits. Does it fall under scenic waterway( blablabla).My simple question is - can I dredge the Middle Fork of the Boise River?

Underburden

Mar 22, 2012
Idaho
Detector(s) used
Gold Hog Stream Sluice
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Submit your request for a permit to EPA and you'll find out post haste:dontknow:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
https://www.idwr.idaho.gov/streams/recreational-mining-permits.html
map; Stream Channel Alteration by Recreational Mining

no permit from the EPA fish & wildlife agency means you don't need one? :dontknow:
map; http://www3.epa.gov/region10/pdf/permits/npdes/id/ssdm_allowed_sw_map.pdf
Idaho Small Suction Dredge Mining General Permit

do not file a NOI or POO with the Forest Forest service it's not a "significant disturbance"
if you do they will say it is and then they will have to have federal consultations an environmental impact assessment
and would take 9 to 14 years to complete, just get the Idaho permit and go, if you are harassed call the sheriff.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

Scoutdude

Jan 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Idaho says I can, partial year, epa says no. Go figure. :BangHead:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like you have lots of neighbors, I would get the skinny from some of the claim owners in the area.
the purple in the lower left is the end of the BLM area. lot of people have been getting just the IDWR permit with no problems.
MF_Boise.jpg

Last edited:

ebuyc

Jan 17, 2012
Spokane, Washington
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
EPA never responded to my first dredge permit 2 years ago. I thought by law they had to...

Had no issues the second request filing though. EPA process sucks - just wanted to be punny.

OP
OP
S

Scoutdude

Jan 17, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll file for the permits, and I'll look up some of my neighbors as winners58 suggested. I'll update when I here something.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions