enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The NF have been that way here, You can pan and if you if you hit the right spot do well. Most land is private and you can dredge with permission, no problem. The new woman liberal they put in charge over the district thinks a shovel isn't a hand tool. My understanding is the majority of the rangers think she's gone overboard and don't enforce it. But it's my understanding that she personally changed the rules for the district. Still can't figure that out.

placertogo

Aug 25, 2010
Maine USA
There is a wide variation of "rules" for prospecting in National Forests and this makes it very confusing for prospectors. There seems to be no rhyme nor reason on why and how the rules were promulgated.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Walt with PLP agrees that the rules should be the same across the board and wants to set standards to apply the mining laws to apply equally everywhere. I agree with this. You can actually get a detecting permit in Uwharrie as long as you hunt in the boundries they designate.Again, I don't think any rangers will say anything if you use a shovel. After all, it has to be considered a hand tool. Anyone know how to use one without your hands? I don't! A district manager was put into her position with the attempt to prevent people from exercising their Constitutional rights!

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
man, glad I dredge on private land when im down there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread