Dredging in North Carolina

ywevis

Feb 24, 2013
Albemarle, NC
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

We had a quick outing, because the winter temps hit in the 70's so we all wanted to get into a creek. We had 4 floating dredges, 2 combo highbanker dredges and 1 highbanker.

Home | Uwharrie Prospectors

This is the forum we all share and joined the GPOC club. Was pretty fun, everyone left with some gold. Everyone is still doing cleanups, so the gold pics will be on the site.

PYRATE

Jun 24, 2012
Cackalacky
Detector(s) used
arrr, just need me nose
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Have you tried dredging the pigeon river I was thinking about it

Very bad idea.

The Pigeon is much cleaner than it once was and thus it you might be surprised that it wasn't too long ago that the river was a stinky brown toxic cesspool with "no water contact" signs posted along its banks.

The sediments still contain dioxin, mercury, aresenic and a whole bunch of other chemicals that were dumped into the river by the Champion Paper Mill for 70+ years and dredging would just be a good way to collect a bunch of the heavy metals and possibly a good case of the mud butt.

Sidenote: I was a raft guide when the river was finally declared clean enough for recreational use in '94, but while water contact was considered "safe", we were instructed not to take more than 2 raft trips per day (each lasted an hour or so) and only 3 trips in two days because of the pollution that remained. I soon discovered that if I took more than one trip in a day I'd be on a toilet for twice as long as I'd been on the boat so I told my boss I'd never run the Pigeon again. (I also made far bigger tips on the Nolichucky, Ocoee and Watauga)

I'm sure it is much cleaner now than it was 19 years ago, but the heavy metals and dioxins don't just disappear.

davidb

Jan 7, 2013
Thanks for the info so maybe I will try nolichucky I use to drive bus for the rafting trips in Erwin

charlotte49er

Jun 2, 2011
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, DetectorPro Pirate Pro & Headhunter Wader, Fisher F2, F4, F75, Tesoro Compadre, Silver Umax, Vaquero, Cortes, Nugget Snoop & Falcon MD20
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Y'all ought to think about joining the Matthews, NC Chapter of the GPAA. Home Page

We have access to 3 (and growing) private properties that are gold rich and they are perfect for Dredging and/or Highbanking!

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Y'all ought to think about joining the Matthews, NC Chapter of the GPAA. Home Page

We have access to 3 (and growing) private properties that are gold rich and they are perfect for Dredging and/or Highbanking!

You tell em Brian! Great club and growing like gangbusters.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread