Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Gang,

Well crazy man Jeff and I went to the big field again today. We just can't help ourselves. The weather was icy this morning and many here were on two-hour delays. We went to KFC first the digging about 1:00pm.

The fog and drizzle turned to rain but Jeff and I hung in there for 2 hours.

I was digging iffy signals in hopes of getting an old coin or ring. I got a +47 VDI, which should have been a large man's ring, so I dug but there was nothing in the hole. I used my Bullseye pinpoint and heard it beep on a spot on the wall of the hole. As I was getting ready to dig out something, I slipped on the wet grass and heard a coins scratching--sickening sound.
To my surprise, I dug a greenish/copper looking coin. It was hard to read but I made out--1889 Indian Head Cent (with a scratched back) and in poor condition. Hard to tell the feathers apart.

Later I got a +14-16 VDI and it turned out to be a Buffalo nickel. Sorry, but not date on it. Nickels seem to deteriorate really fast in this field. Maybe just that nickels do that.

The big field
100_0779.jpg

Both Coins
100_0781.jpg

Indian Head Cent 1889
100_0783.jpg
100_0787.jpg

100_0784.jpg

Buffalo Nickel - No Date
100_0785.jpg

100_0786.jpg

SKD

Upvote 0

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice, Icy hunt Terry. Glad you got out and found something. I've been stuck in front of the computer looking for work so I haven't been out since sunday. :coffee2:

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like some great finds to me. I'll take her even with the scratch. :thumbsup:

S

seger98

To bad about the rian, but you got yourself some nice finds!

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Way to hang tough in nasty weather.

Nothing worse to me than cold weather and icy rain, but you guys hung in there. You sure earned those finds. :coffee2:
Mike

Ohio Jerry

Feb 20, 2008
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Nice post SKD!! Ground's still soft here in east Ohio too but freezing drizzle kept me in today :icon_study: ..keep swinging bro,you know we're due for a hard freeze and snow cover right?..i just hope it's brief. HH,Jerry

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohio Jerry said:
Nice post SKD!! Ground's still soft here in east Ohio too but freezing drizzle kept me in today :icon_study: ..keep swinging bro,you know we're due for a hard freeze and snow cover right?..i just hope it's brief. HH,Jerry

Same here Jerry, cold and freezing rain in NW Ohio today, so didn't venture out. Glad you guys got out Terry,
that sure looks like a good site to hunt. Like the IH and Buffalo. Good finds!

The Buzzard King

Mar 29, 2005
N.E.P.A.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-5, Fisher 1280-X
Nice finds! At least you could dig. Looks like a cool spot.
Yeah, the Buffalo's come out horrible here too.
V-Nickels come out WAY better here.
Your Buffalo's in much better shape than the one I dug today.
Congrats on the finds, and congrats on just getting out!

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
Terry, I'm thinking if you cleaned the Buff Nickel around where the date is you'll be able to read it.. it maybe faint an need mag glass to read it tho.. I was messing around with photoshop an I could see a 1 an 9 but looked like dirt was covering the other numbers... Good hunt btw!

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
congrats again my friend...... IH's are always fun to dig...... you might try soaking the buffalo in olive oil for a bit..... I have triued the salt and vinegar scrub thing before.. it will work.. but you hafta be careful with it.. you might at least get a date that way.....

Randy

OP
OP
SoreKneesDayton

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for kind remarks about getting out in the rain/drizzle. My wife thinks I am .... can't say words but "nut case" comes to mind.

I bought some naval jelly cleaning compound and will try that on the Buffalo nickel this week. I will post a pic of what it did, if it doesn't eat it up...lol

SKD

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
SoreKneesDayton said:
Thanks all for kind remarks about getting out in the rain/drizzle. My wife thinks I am .... can't say words but "nut case" comes to mind.

I bought some naval jelly cleaning compound and will try that on the Buffalo nickel this week. I will post a pic of what it did, if it doesn't eat it up...lol

SKD

Know what you mean, Terry. I've been getting some strange looks from people as well. Who in the heck is that on there knees in the middle of winter digging in the dirt :o

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
very nice job on the buffalo nickle and the indian head penny!!! I hope theres more to come! :)

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SKD, Very nice finds indeed ! My 2009 wish list has both a buffalo nickel and an indian head

cent on it as I have found neither one . Great looking place that big field ,and its treating you

right. Argentium.

The Master Chief

Jan 10, 2005
CA
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Equinox 800/Mine Lab Gold Monster 1000/ Mine Lab Pro Find 35/Garrett GTI 2500 and Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great pics to go with great finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread