Drought exposes lost 200 year old boat in North Carolina...

ballbuster

Sep 27, 2006
Its certainly hasn't got the flare of a treasure ship or the romance of a pirate ship. But its a glimpse into a time period in American history. Really enjoy the post. Thanks for the additional info.

Jim

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
I think the Professionals??? involved need to look at the so called anchor more closely. It is actually a tree stump. I do not believe that tree stumps were used as anchors.
Peg Leg

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
pegleg,

Anything heavy or attached to the bottom of a body of water can be used as a anchor.
"State archaeologists plan to study the frame but will be hampered as scavengers have taken souvenirs."Where are the looters?

Attachments

• soontobfirewood.jpg
    soontobfirewood.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 565

privateer

Dec 4, 2006
Paquiwock
Detector(s) used
6 senses
during the civil war there were a few captains who took their vessels into back creeks and would sink them till after the war to keep Confederate or union forces from acquiring their vessel's usually did this were there was a high level of tannic acid in the water.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Privateer,

What effect does tannic acid or brackish water have on aluminum,say aircraft grade like T-6?

privateer

Dec 4, 2006
Paquiwock
Detector(s) used
6 senses
the tanic acid would have a preserving effect on wood-on aircraft alum-i really don't know-we used to dive a old plane wreck in lake drumming in the dismal swamp-and as i remember the alum. on that wreck which had been down many year was in really good condition-there are a few aircraft wrecks which we dive in the sound and off shore here which have been down many years and alot of the alum. is still in fairly good condition-i have some air induction duct off a corsair and part of canopy latch-i will try and get some pic. and post.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
After looking at the phot several times this is what I see.
Upper right is a dirt road.
What appears to be a buch of wood trash is actually what is let of a dock or ramp connected to the wreck.
I think that is boat was left just as it sits. I also believe that it was tied to the rap or dock and just rotted and sank.
I also do not believe that LOOTERS would even be interested in anything there.
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread