Dry and Dusty Missouri

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
In the early 1900's, men of the Union Army used to gather at the post-office in Brush Creek to await the arrival of the mail train from which they would receive their government checks. Many were the stories told and retold by the "Old Soldiers" as they exchanged memories.

Most of these men were native residents of the community. However, a newcomer by the name of William Brannick, one day asked: "How did Dry and Dusty get that name?" Sol Hopkins, Henderson Selvidge and Jim Moore were the "old-timers" present at the time, and this is the background story they told in answer to Brannick's question:

Supply headquarters for the Union armies were at Rolla and Springfield, Missouri. As supplies were sent from one headquarters to the other, the road used was the "Old Wire Road" through Laclede County. This road was later known as the Springfield Road.

At a point about eight miles southwest of Lebanon was located the Stage Coach Inn and the relay horse and wagon stables. This point is now known as the Bert Benton farm. A portion of the Inn still stands, but all evidence of the barns have long since gone. Springs of very fine water were located near-by for use of man and beast.

As wagon-trains were enroute to Springfield from Rolla, the road led through this particular section and many times, in extreme wet weather, passage through was something seldom accomplished without much help.

The soil was of such consistency that, when wet, there seemed to be no bottom to the mud. The army wagons would mire down. The men would cut brush and trees and fill the trail in an effort to pull through. Often lead scouts would be sent on horseback ahead to the relay stables for fresh horses to help the wagons through. So this stretch of road became known as the wet muddy holes.

Likewise, in dry weather, the dust seemed equally deep and disagreeable and was known as Dry and Dusty. In later years it was known as Hurd Flat and was located immediately back of the Specialty Print Shop and the former Glen Kelley home.

Eventually the early settlers organized a school district and a log building was erected. Naturally, a name was discussed and since this particular area on the Springfield Road was about the center of the proposed school district, and was well known and easily located, the name Dry and Dusty was chosen.

Earliest records of the school date from 1903. (--Mrs. W.T. Moye, in Lebanon Daily Record, Vol. XLV. Date not shown.)

Once she reported a freak rainfall at Dry and Dusty during one of the drought periods. Newspapers from coast to coast carried this report under the heading, "It's Wet and Muddy at Dry and Dusty."

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
Thank you.......Gypsy. When I get a chance I will look into this. Lebanon is approximtely 15 miles from me. I'll let you know if anything comes from it.........greg

spghollow

Tenderfoot
Feb 4, 2013
Mo. Ozarks
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a really old post,but I enjoyed reading it. My Dad was from Dry and Dusty, I live just north in Spring hollow. Do you know anything about the old rail road beds not completed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread