Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if a lake is not a state park or national park lake, and it is dry due to drought or whatever conditions, it is allowed to wander that dry lake bed and detect right?

just wondering

we have a lake in hickory area that is always down. always. water is being diverted etc. to handle other drought areas and such and that lake is just never up to a high level. I am wondering if it is ok to just park, walk the lake and detect? Should be ok right?

you can see I just dont know these things lol

Upvote 0

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on who owns the lake.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hmmm...I have to assume the city of hickory. but of course I will have to go find that out now

edited to say I found this real fast: Duke Energy provides five public access areas on the lake in cooperation with the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission.

It said the power company created the lake with a dam and that would mean they own it?
now off to find more lol

Last edited:

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It said the power company created the lake with a dam and that would mean they own it?
l

Likely; that's a good place to start looking for ownership. Then you can ask if they even care if you go out.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since they have access sites I would just go hunt it if there is no rule against metal detecting. Have fun and watch out for deep muck. If swimming was allowed, check there first. Asking for permission usually gets a solid no from someone that doesn't have authority to grant it in the first place.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yea that is what I thought. if I call anyone at Duke etc. they wouldn't know and just say NO to be safe :)

well I am going to do it. next day I get a chance I will drive up to the acess area, park and get out in the dry lake area and detect. I am going for it. worst is I get booted out for some reason. oh well, it happens

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
dried lake is the best possible place to hunt, hurry, u dont have much time, others are aware of it too. Just go by night and hunt it empty.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks--yea I was thinking where to hunt and all of the sudden I thought of this stupid dry lake area. I have a feeling it could be prosperous also!

I'll post finds is any :)

mjc_lakedweller

Nov 14, 2011
Kzoo County, MI
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro,
Garrett ACE350,
Fisher CZ-20,
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You've definately got a sweet opportunity. Hit the swimmin' holes hard first then branch out from there. Don't forget the launch sites-sometimes people can struggle loading their boat and loose a ring (yours truely). You'll come up with some junk but don't let it discourage you. Good luck!

Acquisitor

Jan 6, 2011
let me repeat myself: no place is better for us than a dried lake, NO place can be better.
there will be lots of trash there, but you can easily find $5000-1000 or more worth of gold.
do not tell anyone about this place, hunt it empty, all of it, dig all the trash, dont discriminate, come back as many times as necessary. Another opportunity as this one may never come in your life.
forget about owners and all that garbage, go by night, dont use any light, just hunt it empty.

Shambler

Aug 18, 2008
Under the Trees
Going at night would be tough to explain, if you were questioned. I'd just go in the day, and have fun. If someone says something, just be humble and leave. No sense in conceding that you're doing something wrong by sneaking around. Plus, you said the water was "down", so I'm assuming there's still water there and that means mud in places. Getting stuck in the mud at midnight would suck. 8-)

Last edited:
OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree it is a golden opportunity and I kick myself for not thinking of it before...why I will never know lol

start in day. if I get in trouble, and if I had found ANYTHING good I would probably still go back at night. I would bring hubby tho. he could pull me out of the muck/mud.

edited to say I will drive up tomorrow cause hubby is off from work. we are checking out one lake and he said there is another in the area that gets low, but not sure if it requires more drought time to get lower but we shall see. expedition tomorrow and will bring detector (just in case) :)

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread