Dry lakes

Parisdakarbmw

Sep 30, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just an Idea I'm sure you guys have considered, but I'm a member of the Rolexforums. I have heard many sad stories of men fishing, or skiing and losing their Rolex. They always think of jumping in after it, but realize it's gone. The watches are made to handle being submerged in fresh water for a very long time (hence the name oyster on the case) The next time your local lakes are low, and you get a strong signal....It could be a valuable hunk of wrist candy.

If you ever find a Rolex, they have serial numbers. Those may have been listed as lost after the incident, but most likely just sank to the bottom to be forgotten. If you find any from the James bond 1959 style all the way to the current models they can fetch a sweet price.

I'm watching the lakes around here for a good day to look myself!!

Upvote 0

texan connection

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2006
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minlabe SE, ace 250, fisher 1280x
they are so dry here now its a possibility. we are finding loads of good stuff.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dry lakes are a treasure trove of junk usually as anything that nobody wanted was tossed in the water to be hid from view. Lots of stuff was also just lost over board. I get told many times that someone lost their Rolex, "over there." They just want to see the nerd look for the thing. But expensive watches and jewelry are lost in the water all the time so they are able to be found then when the lake level lowers. Some of our lakes can get very dangerous with the thick muck and even if the top looks firm, it isn't underneath. I know of only one guy that found a Rolex and he found it in a restroom at a visitors center on I-75.

Cool Hand Fluke

Bronze Member
Nov 28, 2006
In the Heart of Wine Country in Northern Californi
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ6, CZ5, Coinstrike, Fisher CZ20, Fisher 1235X, Tesoro Conquistador, Whites Surfmaster P.I. ,
, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sandman said:
Dry lakes are a treasure trove of junk usually as anything that nobody wanted was tossed in the water to be hid from view. Lots of stuff was also just lost over board. I get told many times that someone lost their Rolex, "over there." They just want to see the nerd look for the thing. But expensive watches and jewelry are lost in the water all the time so they are able to be found then when the lake level lowers. Some of our lakes can get very dangerous with the thick muck and even if the top looks firm, it isn't underneath. I know of only one guy that found a Rolex and he found it in a restroom at a visitors center on I-75.

My hunting partner found a men's Rolex buried in the sand on Pismo Beach Calif. He sold it for $1,200.00. So it's a rare find, but still possible!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread