Dry Washing For An Income

Dry Digger

Banned
Feb 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am interested in hearing from the experienced prospectors on the forum on the subject of drywashing. I have a claim & have done some testing via small batch samples. The claim was worked by old timers but I think there is still good gold left behind by them. My testing has shown just shy of a gram per yard with some hot spots showing double that. The problem & possibly the reason I think there is still gold on the claim is lack of water in close proximity. I read an article last year written in a mining journal stating that many dry areas on claims are not worked because of this reason. The writer went on to state that with the advent & improvement in drywashers these abandoned areas can now possibly be worked profitably without water. I have no experience with them but with rising gold prices now around $1600/ounce I am seriously thinking about taking a shot at trying this processing system on my claim. I am undecided as to using a puffer or a gas powered Keene like the 161 which is enclosed for low dust. Possibly one of each - I don't know. I do like the idea of working in solitude with a battery powered puffer but not sure if enough gravels could be processed to make any money. Do you guys have any thought as to the drywashing idea & if a gram per yard could prove worthwhile? I'm not talking about getting rich LOL. But possibly producing an ounce a week would be great. Also, i'd like to say hello to everyone & this is my first post. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pretty sure it's a highbanking rule not a drywashing rule. The settling pond must be at least 300 feet from a waterway at normal level or something to that effect.
I haven't prospected Cali but once since the ban so I'm not positive.

I have hauled water to the spot before, filled a holding tank, & pumped water 100 yds with an electric pump to a recirculating sluice system. Way too slow & too much work to be able to process a yard a day. It was good for testing the ground though. I'd be happy to get 85% recovery from a drywasher but not sure if that is feasible. The gold there is mostly fine.

One post was talking about hauling water to a holding tank then pumping it 100 yards to a recirculating sluice system.
Made no sense.

Then he came back with..............
Kind of off the subject of drywashing but the Forest Service said the state water authority required me to be at least 300 yards from the creek when drywashing. So that's why I hauled water to the dig area.
Made even less sense, unless he meant to say highbanking instead of drywashing.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol at least its getting caught quicker!!

This has been a thing for a while now.

Same person each time?

Montana Fish Oil and Burlap Farm LLC.

From the makers of Tuolumne Todd. Fabricated in Oregon by Assembler.

Cause the intrawebs aren't weird enough already

Last edited:

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Same person each time?

Bonus points for a short story version of the SEPA saga. Well done! :thumbsup:

Heavy Pans

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no such rule that I know of in Commiefornia, but if they read these forums, we can likely expect it in the near future.

Mike, please end the political comments.

ClaimStake

Jul 27, 2015
Oroville CA
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug 2 (sold it)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Same person each time?

still assuming things I see, too bad bullying isn't better handled here. assembler and I have decided to refrain from associating with members from Tnet for obvious reasons. we only check around now and then for technical information.

we were not banned, and we only have one account. we're doing very well with our newfound methods.

for the curious here's one of the materials we're working, crush and drywash. fine gold with pyrite.
fine gold and pyrite.jpg

I should also point out that pushing away potential donors to Tnet isn't in anyones best interest.

Last edited:

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
still assuming things I see, too bad bullying isn't better handled here. assembler and I have decided to refrain from associating with members from Tnet for obvious reasons. we only check around now and then for technical information.

we were not banned, and we only have one account. we're doing very well with our newfound methods.

for the curious here's one of the materials we're working, crush and drywash. fine gold with pyrite.
View attachment 1804851

I should also point out that pushing away potential donors to Tnet isn't in anyones best interest.

My living room floor looked similar to that when my daughter spilled glitter everywhere, then tracked it around the house :) Luckily it was pure gold without pyrite. Still some stuck in the cracks of the boards.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mike, please end the political comments.

Personally Treasure Hunter, this is no more of political comment as it is fact for those of us who live here. And it once again, is far less political than what you display on a daily basis. So if we must abide by the same TNET rules, then ALL of your politics MUST be removed before your can judge what others post. Otherwise you're just another hipocrit. Ban me if you like. Not my first rodeo

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Well I'm comeing in late to this sooooooooo , If a person wants to get 1 OZ. a week he needs to go big or go home . By that I mean a big multiple hopper / blower powered by a gas engine or generator away from all the dust it would kick up , and then maybe depending on the make up of the ground. And then use a small front end loader to keep it filled with pay . You lost me in the dust when someone said use shovels ! ugh what a dirty thought !

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 1804851

:laughing9:

Cactus

Feb 12, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was down with Gold Tramp in southern Cali we would run into material that was too wet to run. All the duff on top would be dry as a bone but getting down into the cracks where we wanted to be we'd have to let it dry out for a day. If you're in northern Cali I would gamble you'd run into this far more often.... especially if you're trying to move volume.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions