Dry Washing For An Income

Dry Digger

Banned
Feb 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am interested in hearing from the experienced prospectors on the forum on the subject of drywashing. I have a claim & have done some testing via small batch samples. The claim was worked by old timers but I think there is still good gold left behind by them. My testing has shown just shy of a gram per yard with some hot spots showing double that. The problem & possibly the reason I think there is still gold on the claim is lack of water in close proximity. I read an article last year written in a mining journal stating that many dry areas on claims are not worked because of this reason. The writer went on to state that with the advent & improvement in drywashers these abandoned areas can now possibly be worked profitably without water. I have no experience with them but with rising gold prices now around $1600/ounce I am seriously thinking about taking a shot at trying this processing system on my claim. I am undecided as to using a puffer or a gas powered Keene like the 161 which is enclosed for low dust. Possibly one of each - I don't know. I do like the idea of working in solitude with a battery powered puffer but not sure if enough gravels could be processed to make any money. Do you guys have any thought as to the drywashing idea & if a gram per yard could prove worthwhile? I'm not talking about getting rich LOL. But possibly producing an ounce a week would be great. Also, i'd like to say hello to everyone & this is my first post. Thanks in advance.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
D

Dry Digger

Banned
Feb 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree. It's a lot pf pick & shovel grunt work. If gold stays up or goes higher less shoveling needed LOL. What's your opinion on drywashers?

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm an "in the Water" kind of guy so can't give you an opinion. However quiet is good if you gotta bust a hump all day. Maybe look into battery and a solar panel to extend the life.

leadnugget

Jul 29, 2006
arizona
Detector(s) used
gpx6000
gp extreme
gold monster 1000
nokta simplex
i enjoy dry washing and nugget hunting and all gold mining, as a hobby.
i would probably not enjoy it as much if i had to rely on it for income.
if i were you i would do it on your days off to see if you can make it work
before you quit your day job.
what would you do when its too wet to dry wash and not wet enough to wet process.
puffers are nice but i would get a gas operated just so you can also use the blower
as a vac. most of the time all the good gold is on or in the bedrock.
the keene 161 is a nice unit, $1200 kind of pricy. i like that its comes with a 4 cycle blower.
you might check craigslist for small dry washers it would be cheaper, some of the gold buddys
are like 11 pounds vs the 161 at 44 pounds. as for dust, stand up wind.

OP
OP
D

Dry Digger

Banned
Feb 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks leadnugget. I only work part time at this point in my life. What i'd like to do is drywash during summers when the weather in my mining area is hot & dry. So probably June, July, August, maybe September. I have looked at videos of the Keene 191 but that is too big for one guy to keep up with. That's why I was thinking on that 161. There are creeks but they are over 1/4 mile from where I want to dig. I think I might lose a little gold drywashing but make up for it & then some not having to deal with water issues. If gold keeps moving up it's going to be hard for me not to take a shot at it. I don't mind hard work & solitude.

Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
What state and county are you in ?
I have a Keene puffer and like it -- no gas and noise.
Welcome to the forum
Mike

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Alternative idea.....A quarter mile is not far to transport enough water to operate a recirculating unit if you have a 4wheeler and when the ground is wet you can still run dirt.:thumbsup:

Whatever you do, good luck.

OP
OP
D

Dry Digger

Banned
Feb 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The claim is in northern Cal. Not too far from Reno.

OP
OP
D

Dry Digger

Banned
Feb 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was reading Goldwasher's ordeals with the Thompson on the drywashing forum. I actually talked to Mr Thompson a couple yrs back about the drywashers. I remember looking at one in The Prospectors Shop in Oroville a few yrs ago. Almost bought it - it was sitting right in the window for $600.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i love my drywasher,but its only dry enough to run it about 7or8 months a year in so calif, try it for for 6month as a hobby and you will know what to do next.
good luck brad

OP
OP
D

Dry Digger

Banned
Feb 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really couldn't do it for a hobby. I'd need to get close to an ounce a week or so. I think my ground would do it but could I LOL. I'm thinking i'd need to process 25 - 30 yds a week. Bill Thompson said just feed the drywasher directly without classifying. I know I could never classify that much material per week but I might be able to shovel it into a drywasher. The key would be doing it day after day. I'd love to try it. There's something that makes you feel good about a hard days work & having a couple beers at the end of the day.

OP
OP
D

Dry Digger

Banned
Feb 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Goodyguy, can you run about 1/2 yd (20 buckets) through a drywasher in an hour. The big Keene 191 is rated at 3 yds an hour. I could never keep up with that. The 161 is supposed to be good for close to a yard an hour. If I could run 5 yds a day 5 days a wk that's 25 yds. Then process cons on Saturday & have my hospital room ready on Sunday LOL.

OP
OP
D

Dry Digger

Banned
Feb 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have hauled water to the spot before, filled a holding tank, & pumped water 100 yds with an electric pump to a recirculating sluice system. Way too slow & too much work to be able to process a yard a day. It was good for testing the ground though. I'd be happy to get 85% recovery from a drywasher but not sure if that is feasible. The gold there is mostly fine.

OP
OP
D

Dry Digger

Banned
Feb 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kind of off the subject of drywashing but the Forest Service said the state water authority required me to be at least 300 yards from the creek when drywashing. So that's why I hauled water to the dig area.

mikep691

Aug 6, 2015
Northeastern Sierra's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Reno....You're in my Ballpark now, and not far from Rail Dog's. Still, I don't do dry. My claim has over 1/2 mile of year round creek, makes life easier fer sure.

OP
OP
D

Dry Digger

Banned
Feb 18, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, the digging part would eventually get to the joints. I'm thinking just a nice slow & steady pace. I'm not sure if that Keene puffer would handle 1/2 yard an hr of unclassified? If it would then that might be my choice. That way I could still here the bear & mountain lion sneaking up on me LOL.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread