Drysuit Scuff Protectant

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I keep seeing drysuits with this white silicone looking stuff applied to the knees and on gloves to protect against rocks rubbing on the areas. What is that stuff called? I would like to get some for a drysuit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mgumby16

Jun 26, 2014
East Coast
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Check out gold hogs channel on YouTube he just put out a video on using the stuff on wetsuit gloves. I believe it is 3M marine adhesive sealant 5200.

OP
OP
jsurddy

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet, thanks for the info guys!

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
get the cheap $10 kneepads at harbor freight, they work great on drysuits and wetsuits, don't walk around on you and most importantly, they don't bunch up like double strap pads. ive used these since about 2005 for Commercial diving and gold dredging. after about 3 weeks of everyday use, if you lean forward on them a lot from kneeling like i do, they will start to split at the top edge, it doesnt affect anything, just looks crappy. when they start to split, i sew them up with 10lb test monofilament line and a curved matress needle and I treat them with my glue/tool dip coating covered below. i have sets that ive gotten 2 month long NC seasons out of them before the Velcro starts to give up, then they get relegated to shop work such as welding
Hard Cap Gel Knee Pads

as far as gloves go, I use aquaseal straight (stiffer and less flexable but heavier abrasion resistance)or a mix of equal portions of wetsuit glue (the stuff in a can you put to both sides and smush together) and rubber tool dip, then dilute it with acetone till it gets "paintable" with a solder flux brush. it will apply a layer abt 1/32 to 1/16" thick to anything you paint it on and still stay flexable. ive repaired and treated suits, gloves and even hoods for my bandmasks since 2004 with this stuff. you can also fix rips and tears with this same stuff. sew the hole together with 10lb fishing line across the hole, make sure it gets into the seam area and then paint on the glue/tool dip mixture as a cover layer and let it sit till dry (most times you can use it in 2-4 hours) i have some older suits that are more aquaseal and tool dip mixture than neoprene and are almost all black

ETA: you can also recoat your rubber coated gloves with this when they start to peel off and make them last longer

Last edited:

ssdsupply

Feb 20, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
In Alaska we use 3m 5200. Make sure to get the slow cure. Takes about five days to fully set up. Comes in black or white, black looks a lot better.

OP
OP
jsurddy

jsurddy

Feb 12, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
get the cheap $10 kneepads at harbor freight, they work great on drysuits and wetsuits, don't walk around on you and most importantly, they don't bunch up like double strap pads. ive used these since about 2005 for Commercial diving and gold dredging. after about 3 weeks of everyday use, if you lean forward on them a lot from kneeling like i do, they will start to split at the top edge, it doesnt affect anything, just looks crappy. when they start to split, i sew them up with 10lb test monofilament line and a curved matress needle and I treat them with my glue/tool dip coating covered below. i have sets that ive gotten 2 month long NC seasons out of them before the Velcro starts to give up, then they get relegated to shop work such as welding
Hard Cap Gel Knee Pads

as far as gloves go, I use aquaseal straight (stiffer and less flexable but heavier abrasion resistance)or a mix of equal portions of wetsuit glue (the stuff in a can you put to both sides and smush together) and rubber tool dip, then dilute it with acetone till it gets "paintable" with a solder flux brush. it will apply a layer abt 1/32 to 1/16" thick to anything you paint it on and still stay flexable. ive repaired and treated suits, gloves and even hoods for my bandmasks since 2004 with this stuff. you can also fix rips and tears with this same stuff. sew the hole together with 10lb fishing line across the hole, make sure it gets into the seam area and then paint on the glue/tool dip mixture as a cover layer and let it sit till dry (most times you can use it in 2-4 hours) i have some older suits that are more aquaseal and tool dip mixture than neoprene and are almost all black

ETA: you can also recoat your rubber coated gloves with this when they start to peel off and make them last longer

Awesome! Thanks for all this info. I was really hoping someone with your level of experience would chime in. You've been quite helpful. When i start dredging and diving i am going to coat the main scuff areas with this stuff. Rocks wear too quickly through gloves and knees to not protext them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread