White's MXT All Pro-10D2 & 6x10dd
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ggossage

May 18, 2009
Eastern Nebraska
I err on the side of caution and follow the manual. I'm not a battery guy, so I can't tell you if there's any harm in leaving the Deus' type of batteries plugged in....I have to trust that XP knew what they were doing when they wrote the manual.

sleepyjim

Jun 8, 2013
Reno Ish Nevada
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GM1000, XP Deus, GB Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told by my dealer it is ok to leave it on, so that I do, just as you heard.....

Jim

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi XP Deus owners. Question about charging...I read somewhere that a owner leaves his Deus on the charger until he uses it, then it's right back on the charger when he gets back. Is this a good practice or not? The manual mentions no more than 3 hours of charging at a time. Thanks in advance for any info!

I would go by manual to be safe. I can tell you mine is on charge when not in use. Been doing that since they first came out with no issues yet.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The lithium batteries in the Deus are great at holding a charge. I charge my gear and take it off as soon as I remember. If it is going to be a long time before the next use, like this dreary Michigan winter, it is best to leave them around half charged, as the manual states.

I'm guessing XP recommends not leaving it plugged in is because a charger/battery malfunction could possibly cause an explosion. I doubt it decreases the life of the battery by any significant amount.

rabbid-digger

Jul 1, 2013
fennville,MI
Detector(s) used
garret atpro
propointer
sampson 18" digger
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm between south haven and hollland just waiting for the weather to break. Looks like this is the week for it to happen 40 on tues come on summer.

Silver Simon

Mar 17, 2013
Coldwater Michigan
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm between south haven and hollland just waiting for the weather to break. Looks like this is the week for it to happen 40 on tues come on summer.

Yep, we are due for a heatwave on Tuesday, but I see we will be dipping right back down after that.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
According to the manual. "3 hours charge time max, then disconnect from charger. "

IMO ,,,It may not hurt your coil battery from an obvious standpoint (damage), but it could shorten overall service life.

MD'erStEvO

Feb 16, 2015
Vicenza (Military)
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 11" Coil, Bounty Hunter Platinum Edition, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
how often do you hunt weekly and for how long? All three Lithium batteries can be replaced easily (coil is a little more difficult if your not a handyman). They last 3+ years if you hunt weekly. When you plan to leave it unused for long periods (winter), store it between 40-70% charged.... Me personally, I use mine at least 2-3 times a week for 3+ hours per hunt, and I only charge it over night. I only charge it once per week as the batteries to all devices go that long!!! Think of the money your saving by not buying batteries every 20 hours for this detector. Plus, I have a portable hand carry battery charger that charges the deus on the go!!! As the gentlemen above have posted, I don't believe, nor does it state in the manual that you will deteriorate the battery by leaving it charged. Think about it this way.... Do you have rechargeable lithium batteries at your house for other items? If so, (i do), don't you leave them on charge all the time??? And they still work!!!! GL & HH!!!!!!:occasion14:

OP
OP
T

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info! I guess as in everything...it's a mixed bag of preference. What I just started doing is I have a small converter box that plugs into my auxiliary/cig lighter (which after owning my vehicle for over 10 yrs, found a socket in the back) and I plug it in and charge on the way to my hunt site. Nice having it in the back so I do not have to use the passenger seat anymore :laughing7: I usually hunt within 45 min to hr away, so it seems to work pretty good. Btw, when the batteries do go bad, is it obvious like they just do not charge at all or is a gradual thing like you start to notice it is only staying charged for a brief time? Thanks again.

tnsharpshooter

Jul 10, 2012
Tn
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus 2, Xp Deus 1, Minelab Etrac, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will more than likely start to see your use time per charge decline sharply. That's the signal of near the end service life.

OP
OP
T

TokenMan

Aug 27, 2014
NOVA
Detector(s) used
White's 6000 Pro XL
Fisher 1266x
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks!

bwirth1999

Jun 23, 2007
Belvidere, IL
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know I am necroing this thread, but XP Deus uses a LIPO battery.. Lithium Polymer. Do yourself a favor and look up overcharging LIPO on youtube. I don't understand why a company would use LIPO as their standard battery, It is much safer to be able to remove the battery and charge it...

metaljunkie

Sep 15, 2013
Thunder Bay
Detector(s) used
Deus with 11" coil
Home made water kit for deus
Garrett at pro with stock coil
5x8 coil
nel hunter coil
Pro pointer
Garrett euro ace
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi XP Deus owners. Question about charging...I read somewhere that a owner leaves his Deus on the charger until he uses it, then it's right back on the charger when he gets back. Is this a good practice or not? The manual mentions no more than 3 hours of charging at a time. Thanks in advance for any info!

I would only charge it when needed. I know of people who lost all their appliances from a home lightning strike. Loosing a deus on top of that, would be a heart breaker...

renderit

Tenderfoot
Aug 18, 2015
Texas aboot dead center
Detector(s) used
XP Deus newbie
Primary Interest:
Other
If the batteries anything like the Lithium batteries in my drill and driver set they are fantastic! No memory, hold a charge for months left sitting and really very little need to "top them off".

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread