Dug 1913s Semi-Key date! Fine condition or VF what do you think!?

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
Ok, let me tell you guys I am very very excited about this find! I started hunting the same grass strips with Washingtonian today and his brother went along for the ride. The first couple hours were slow but the third hour picked up with a bang. After finishing off where we left off two days ago, we hit another strip and it turned out to be a good one! Even though we did not pull any silver. We pulled a fair amount of Wheaties between the three of us. My second Wheatie dug was the 1913s Wheatie.

At the time, I knew what it was, but didn't know what kind of detail it had until I cleaned it up when I got home. Let me tell you for a dug coin I believe it is at least F12 or in VF condition even after I cleaned it with amonia. I am very pleased with this find and it looks like Washington state is finally kicking out decent coinage this year. :thumbsup:

My first dig ended up being what I think used to be a metal locket. There is a picture of a little girl inside, but I do not know who it is of. Any guesses? I also dug lots of trash, but I figured no one wants to see that. This coin is definatly one of the best finds next to that buffalo nickle I found awhile back.

Here are the pictures! Please tell me what grading you think this coin is! I believe it to be at least worth $30 if more.

1913swheatie004-1.jpg

1913swheatie005-1.jpg

1913swheatie002.jpg

1913swheatie003.jpg

Upvote 0

tomharris76

Jan 11, 2009
Lake Stevens, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
wtg....those median strips have been good to you guys lately. me and Van are heading out tomorrow, hopefully we can add to the Washington state total. wish us luck!

OP
OP
Detectingfreak

Detectingfreak

Gold Member
Apr 26, 2006
Bellevue, WA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE, Tesoro TigerShark
plehbah said:
I do not know much about grades or values, but I know the early "S" mint wheaty pennies are tough to find. I have been lucky enough over the last couple of months to find the '11-S and '14-S wheaties, and so I have been staring at the '13-S gap in my Whitman folder lately.

I was going to wax further about your penny, but now that I think about it; where did you say this sidewalk strip was?

The sidewalk strip is in the middle of a really old street in seattle. Check your local neighbor hoods and find really old houses and check to see if there is a grass strip in the middle of them. If there is, make sure you hunt it. It takes a really long time to pull all the modern pennies and stuff, but it is defiantly worth it! :)

Damon64

Bronze Member
Jul 10, 2008
Federal Way, WA
Detector(s) used
V3i, DFX, Beachhunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way to go Matt! I always said that Nate is the man, but you are the "young man"! you are killing it dude! I hope to hunt with you, Nate and Eric soon! Great stuff!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
Nice lookin semi key wheaty! For the record my bro and I found 4 wheats and a tax token, but we aren't going to bother posting. Hope to hunt with you again soon!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread