Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I returned home from work today I saw that some of the sidewalk was torn up in from of my building so I had to grab my detector and hunt it. I had just dug a 1960 Rosie so I was a bit surprised to pull up a beat up memorial cent... I just put in in my pocket and kept hunting because it wasn't a big enough deal to look at the date which I couldn't read anyway.. After I got upstairs, I washed it off and took a look.

1969 ERROR 1.jpg 1969 ERROR 2.jpg

Is it just me or is the 6 a bit off? Tell me what you think.

- Wit

Silver Worm

Aug 26, 2012
Columbus, Ms.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Eurotek Pro, Fisher F11, Garrett Pro Pointer. AT, Lesche digging tool. 5x8 and 8.5x11 DD coils, 4.5 Super Sniper coil.
Primary Interest:
Other
Just damaged...

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damaged?? Where?? 8-)

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
As others have said, it is just damage. Shouldn't this be in the Coins section.

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It got run over by a bulldozer. Or my ex stepped on it. She's a swamp cow.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As others have said, it is just damage. Shouldn't this be in the Coins section.

Yeah, I forgot about that section because I never post in this neck of the woods.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well other than the obvious damage, I guess I'm not seeing how it made the 6 look as if it's out of place. I was just curious, that is all

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO 12" coil, DD 10" coil, 5.3 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not an expert, but considering you simply asked a question and nobody can give you a Yes/No answer, I did some digging on the internet and found a lot of info on the obvious 1969 S double die (big deal), and have found nothing on the D version. If you look at enough of the 1969 pennies it looks like the 6 is high like that on all of them... I don't look at enough pennies to say, but I'm guessing that is common.

Here is decent video with lots of close up on the S version with lincoln doubled forehead/face:

Hope this helps more than the others.

JMB

jmb2email

Apr 14, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT PRO 12" coil, DD 10" coil, 5.3 coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also just found this great pic of the same cent... looks same...

1969-d-lincoln-penny.png
JMB

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even if it was the rarest 69D on the planet, what would it be worth in that condition? Not even a cent in my opinion. You'd have a hard time making it go through a coinstar!

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other
Even if it was the rarest 69D on the planet, what would it be worth in that condition? Not even a cent in my opinion. You'd have a hard time making it go through a coinstar!

I am sure it would have value as a filler to someone who has little money.

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Never once in this thread have I even slightly inquired about it's value. I only asked if it was an error

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok.......it's not an error. Usually when people ask, it's because they hope it's worth more because of it. Otherwise, who cares?

OP
OP
Minrelica

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok.......it's not an error. Usually when people ask, it's because they hope it's worth more because of it. Otherwise, who cares?

So there's no use asking the question or even caring unless it may be worth something?

To answer your question.. I happen to care. How many times do you dig up an error coin that's been in the ground for years? Quite frankly, I couldn't care any less about coins and I never once have looked up the value of any of them.. In fact, I care so little about coins that someone had to tell me that the 1885 V nickel I dug up was a key date.. We are just in two different hobbies here I'm assuming.. The coin hunter is always looking at the value of the coins and the metal detectorist looks at the cool factor as well..

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really? I think you'll find that most people are only interested in a coin if it has greater than face value attached to it. If it doesn't, it's just pocket change. I've been involved in both hobbies for decades now, but It must be something I've missed if the "cool factor" applies here. I hope your future finds are much cooler!
:icon_thumright:

Coppercrazy

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2012
Ohio
Really? I think you'll find that most people are only interested in a coin if it has greater than face value attached to it. If it doesn't, it's just pocket change. I've been involved in both hobbies for decades now, but It must be something I've missed if the "cool factor" applies here. I hope your future finds are much cooler!
:icon_thumright:

I agree. As a collector and a hunter what makes it collectible to me is the coins value not it's "cool factor" really.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread