Dug a bullet IN WOOD today

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
No kidding. I was hunting a CW site today, and dug a bullet that's still encased in wood....it's about the size of a walnut, the rest of the tree is rotted away. I could see a little of the bullet peeking out when I dug it, and part of it cracked off >:( when I was showing it to a neighbor. Any ideas how to keep it from falling apart? I also dug another bullet about 8 inches away, was probably in the same tree (it's smashed from hitting something HARD), a small round ball, and a couple of pistol bullets...........I think one of them is a Savage. It comes out at 36 cal. but I don't know for sure. I only have pictures of the bullet in wood, as the other bullets are going to take some scrubbing.........I'll get them up ASAP.

Thanks for looking,

Roger

Attachments

• Bullet in Wood.JPG
    Bullet in Wood.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 986
  • bullet in wood closed.JPG
    bullet in wood closed.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 982
Upvote 0

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good Job Roger, wish I had an idea on how to keep it from breaking apart but I don't.

Nice find though!

HH

T

TreasureTales

That's certainly unique.

Sometimes things that have been buried for a long time are accustomed to being moist. You might want to soak it in water until a good preservation method is suggested.

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Ram,

very interesting find, nice.

No help here on how to keep it from
falling apart.
Perhaps,
solid clear coat of some type ???

have a good un.........

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Nice dime ! Cool find Rog, that has to be a first. Is that an Enfield? hard to tell all covered up in wood. You sure don't want the wood to dry out though, it will turn to dust quick, keep it moist not wet. I would think a parafin coat over the wood would help keep it together and hold some of the moisture in.

OP
OP
ramjet2187

ramjet2187

Nov 29, 2005
North Central Tennessee
Detector(s) used
MXT
Thanks, everybody for the kind words, and the advice. I took it out of the Riker case and put it in a folded paper towel, slightly damp, and sealed it in a Ziploc bag..........until I can figure out how to permanently preserve it..........any preservationists out there? Woodworkders?

Thanks again.

Roger

PS Grib, I see you eyeing my dime!!

PPS Grib, remember the site that John (Ft. Donelson Relics) said we might want to try when you were down for the Dover hunt? Maybe we should have tried it...............

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very cool find. Not an expert but hot paraffin might do the trick. let it soak in the wood and gently wipe the rest off.
Burdie

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OH WoW Roger! What a neat find! 8) Congrats!

Nana :)

OH...and that is a nice dime there, Rog. :D

DigMO

Sep 29, 2006
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX,Whites 6000 Di PRO SL
That is a really cool find.I hope you can find a way to preserve it.That's really unique.WTG

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I'm no preservation expert at all, but I do know a little about wood. Now that you have it damp, I'd soak it in denatured alcohol for a night. The alcohol will displace the water in the wood. (some people use this method to rapidly dry wood). Then I think I'd soak it in an oil based varnish or polyurethane (before the alcohol dries out). The alcohol will aid the sealer in wicking into the wood deeply. Then, I'd pull it out of the sealer after a night or two of soaking and let it dry. If you want, you could put the broken off piece back in place, and the sealer should hole it once cured. It will take a while to cure, but will harden on the outside in a day or two most likely.

This is just what I'd do, but if this is a high dollar piece, you should look at more conventional preservation techniques. I don't know how this will work on rotted wood, so *disclaimer*: don't blame me if it don't work! ;D

M

marvswk

Nice find. This is my advice. Dont soak it in water, it will cause to much expansion and contraction. Then it will fall apart. Use "Teek Oil". It is used to preserve wood on Boats. It wont stain, but condition what is there. Ok I hope this Helps. M Lee S in Dry Idaho.

Attachments

• DSCN0725 copy.JPG
    DSCN0725 copy.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 818

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ramjet2187 said:
No kidding. I was hunting a CW site today, and dug a bullet that's still encased in wood....it's about the size of a walnut, the rest of the tree is rotted away. I could see a little of the bullet peeking out when I dug it, and part of it cracked off >:( when I was showing it to a neighbor. Any ideas how to keep it from falling apart? I also dug another bullet about 8 inches away, was probably in the same tree (it's smashed from hitting something HARD), a small round ball, and a couple of pistol bullets...........I think one of them is a Savage. It comes out at 36 cal. but I don't know for sure. I only have pictures of the bullet in wood, as the other bullets are going to take some scrubbing.........I'll get them up ASAP.

Thanks for looking,

Roger
clear wax or clear seal like shellac ???

misplacedrednek

Aug 20, 2006
Temple, GA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! That's one of the neatest things I've seen posted on here. You just never know what you're gonna' find. I sure wish I could help you out on the preservation part, but someone else here will definetly be able to. Once again, great find and HH!

rednek

Salvager

Sep 4, 2006
Queensland, Australia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov. Elite / Explorer II
Nice find!!!

What about some form of epoxy (either diluted or not) as a coating?
Or
You could encase it in resin (like plastic) like they do to insect samples that get handled. Kinda like being inside a plastic ice cube.

I'm on the kepping it away from water side-I've seen what can happen to old fragile wood that gets saturated-definataly NOT what you want!!!

Have fun and good luck with whatever ypu decide,
Salvager

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sweet "war log" you got there

HH