Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello all,

Today I was with a friend from the metal detecting club in western Washington. We hunted a old torn down neighborhood site that has been overgrown, but I have scored goodies at before. My 12 Canadian silver half dime spill was nearby, as well as v nickels and a sharp barber dime.

Anyways, my pouch was full of beer cans cans and a few bits of sparse modern coinage when I was over my prime target. It didn’t sound awesome, like you hope it would, more like a large pop can target bouncing really high, 34 ish on the equinox. I dug down, pin pointer said it was close. Hand in the hole. Grab the large black caked disk. Quickly thought ‘maybe’. Flipped her around, and saw the eagle on reverse, and instantly knew.

I threw down my gear and ran and grabbed my friend. I was quite happy, and we took some pics, and I shared the new experience swing by swing with him. I did a check on the online red book and saw the 1879 is a great coin if it’s a CC. I thought ‘no way’ and we chuckled at the idea. He had found a few nice bottles and a pocket watch back during his time.

I popped the coin in a special pocket and swung for a hour or so longer. I wanted to get some water on the dollar and look for a mint mark back at the car, so we waddled slowly back and finished our hunt. The water came out quick, and we had a loup. I saw it immediately. But I couldn’t know if it extra wreath making the other c or o shaped blob. Surly two blobs in the correct local meant a CC! I referenced some high res CC photos to confirm and gave a hoot of joy!

I plan on getting it into a ultra sonic cleaner to get the junk off, and then we’ll see how she stands. Thanks everyone!

31E885AE-6A8D-49F1-9089-B8795F4F8364.jpeg
A6EFA990-8838-4CFB-97A4-B66F2586D746.jpeg
943CF032-4870-4A10-B356-E1BFB5BBE098.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 127
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Relicific

Silver Member
Feb 2, 2017
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
X terra 705
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Crazy find.
Congrats

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would spit on both sides of that coin and wrap tightly with aluminum foil shiny side facing the coin. Remove rinse, light soft cloth to remove black tarnish. Maybe repeat 4 - 5 times. Let the reaction with the silver oxide do the work and avoid the temptation to rub. Maybe stop when there is just enough of the gray tarnish (black cakey stuff removed) to give it a nice contrast. Looks like it could be an amazing coin. Huge congrats!!!

thrifty76now

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2009
Sunman Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT MINELAB SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow,an amazing find.It is the 2nd year for Morgan dollars.Congrats.Show it again after a little cleaning.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find. Now to me that's much more of a banner find (given the date and mint mark) than say a common date $5.00 gold coin. My vote is going in. I'll be curious to see if the forum "Banner God's " agree.

Rubka888

Jun 13, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah that is banner worthy for sure! Post some pics of the cleaned up coin and the CC mark!

lairmo

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2009
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro/ Fisher M-Scope 1280-X
Awesome Coinage!!! I definitely want another pic or 2!!!!

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It sure was a good thing you were digging the can signals! It would have been a shame to miss that! That eagle sure must have sure made you happy, especially the CC! Great spot!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent find! I found my first one of these a couple weeks ago. Mine was much less rare / valuable (1921) but an outstanding find for me. I feel the excitement here! Wanted to pass on to you mine had some stubborn tarnishing on it so I used the boiling water, tin foil, baking soda method: I only did it once and the coin came out better than I imagined it would ever look without looking artificially shiny. You might want to try that if the ultrasonic doesn't clean it enough. I hope someday I can repeat the feat of finding one of these! Congrats!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find and hunt Ive found 1 morgan in all my years detecting. Great post. Well done

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin Fetcher, that is an amazing find. Imagine how long that Morgan has been in that spot. CC is a great mint location. Just adds to the value. Thank you for sharing the experience. Washington is a great place to live and hunt. Once again the Nox rocks.

OreElse

Jan 8, 2011
Yuma, AZ
Detector(s) used
Mxt, Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! Congratulations, that's a bucket-lister for me! I've bought them but never dug one....YET!

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for not sharing a video of you rubbing the date with muddy gloves!!

You did good not scratching it considering you thought you were digging a beer can.
That’s a big target to avoid hitting.

$120 - $50,000
I’d carefully consider cleaning methods.

Looks like two different CC mint styles. Clear CC and Rusty CC
Clear CC being the more common of the two.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread