Dug a strange metal curlicue. Anyone recognise what it might be?

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Quick hunt today, and along with the usual shotgun shells and old nails, I dug this strange copper curlicue on the top of a steep hillside in the woods. The spoon-shaped pincers open and close as you move the tiny band up, which allows the pincers to open, and down, which squeezes the pincers together. It is 4 inches long. The tiny band around the pincers has no seam. There are no markings on it. The curlicue varies in width along the ribbon, so I think it was made by hand, not machine made...

Any thoughts on what it is? IMG_20150917_143809.jpg IMG_20150917_144158.jpg IMG_20150917_144142.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 5

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a "Roach Clip." Us old stoners lost or tossed a lot of them! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Rustic

Rustic

Jul 10, 2015
western MA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lol. Thanks for the ID. That makes sense, it was a scenic place and close to a high school....

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
Cool Find! I love finding things that have a story behind them! Congratz!

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep, definitely a roach clip. Maybe an under the table metal shop class project.

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
IT IS A TUNING FORK ??????????????????????????????????

Brother Al

Jul 23, 2013
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Three White's, one Fisher and a Minelab.....I'm beginning to wonder if I am a metal detectorist .....or a collector of metal detectors?
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

kray

Mar 21, 2010
SW Ct. Formerly N Va.
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
E Trac
AT Pro
Nautilus 11Ba
MXT
M6
6000 DiPro
Omega
Bounty hunter TR550
Heathkit homemade
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be some sort of thermostat? It would expand and contract, opening the pinchers.

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
To all you nonbelievers. Listen to the nice gentlemen. I promise you that it's a roach clip and a very nice one I would contend. Non-slip handle, no flame too close to your face. A true relic of the counterculture days. I of course would not know, but I did see pictures in an old hippie magazine that I believe was called "High Times" or something like that. I was exposed to demon weed, but I never inhaled.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
To all you nonbelievers. Listen to the nice gentlemen. I promise you that it's a roach clip and a very nice one I would contend. Non-slip handle, no flame too close to your face. A true relic of the counterculture days. I of course would not know, but I did see pictures in an old hippie magazine that I believe was called "High Times" or something like that. I was exposed to demon weed, but I never inhaled.

Great looking roach clip and it certainly bummed out the person for loosing the clip.

Demon weed, the only demon thing about it back then was the roach getting sucked into the mouth off the clip.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, a true relic of the counter culture days. One could probably assemble an interesting collection of such paraphernalia, if it wasn't illegal to own it :dontknow: :laughing7:

RelicMedic

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab pro find 35

Minelab Equinox 600

Minelab Excalibur II

Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, a roach clip. I had a similar one back in the day. The clip part could be held while you (I) burned hash on the coil if you had no buds. So wrecked :headbang:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread