Dug, and then ruined, a LC

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So i had a couple hours this afternoon to hunt. Started at a park that i've been pounding, and pulled the Buffalo. Followed that up with a '29 Merc dime, a nice little button that looks to have some gilt when the light angle is right, and a bronze Hickok Beltogram watch fob (circa 1920-1930).

IMG_5872.JPG IMG_5890.PNG IMG_5891.PNG IMG_5892.JPG IMG_5893.JPG

I thought about calling it a day but decided to hit up a school that was built around 1900. In the middle of the school yard I got a solid 12-46/12-47 at 6". Ended up being my second ever large cent. What it was doing there is a mystery to me.

It looked pretty good upon coming out of the ground. Could plainly see most of the stars, "One Cent", and most of "United States of America". The only thing that I couldn't make out was the date. So I pocketed it. By the time I returned home the crud had dried, so I just put on some soap and water and scrubbed it with a toothbrush. Immediately, this light-grey crap completely covered the coin's surface. Now I couldn't make out any of the details that I could previously. I was so p*ssed off at myself. It's sitting in olive oil now in the hopes that maybe something will come back. Oh well...live and learn. As soon as I dug it I probably should have stopped, went to my car, lightly toothpicked it, and left it alone.

IMG_5885.PNG IMG_5886.PNG IMG_5887.PNG

Last edited:
Upvote 6

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So i had a couple hours this afternoon to hunt. Started at a park that i've been pounding, and pulled the Buffalo. Followed that up with a '29 Merc dime and a nice little button that looks to have some gilt when the light angle is right

I thought about calling it a day but decided to hit up a school that was built around 1900. In the middle of the school yard I got a solid 12-46/12-47 at 6". Ended up being my second ever large cent. What it was doing there is a mystery to me.

It looked pretty good upon coming out of the ground. Could plainly see most of the stars, "One Cent", and most of "United States of America". The only thing that I couldn't make out was the date. So I pocketed it. By the time I returned home the crud had dried, so I just put on some soap and water and scrubbed it with a toothbrush. Immediately, this light-grey crap completely covered the coin's surface. No I couldn't make out any of the details that I could previously. I was so p*ssed off at myself. It's sitting in olive oil now in the hopes that maybe something will come back. Oh well...live and learn. As soon as I dug it I probably should have stopped, went to my car, lightly toothpicked it, and left it alone.

I just rubbed mine under the Faucet with a tooth Brush :laughing7:
was gonna spray it with WD-40 But changed my Mind.

the WD will dissolve some of the Green & remove all the dirt.
Too clean is not good.

Nice Finds By the way :thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
Murray8144

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
what i've come to realize is that sometimes it's the dirt that's worked it's way into the coin that brings out the details. same thing happened with a KG1 I dug. Looked ok before i decided to try to clean it up. From now on i'm leaving them be...now i'll probably never dig another old copper though lol

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Olive oil won't help at all. I'd take it out immediately as it will only make the coins appearance darker. At this point I'd try more "harsh" methods like using a tumbler or electrolysis! Congrats on your second ever LC anyway! At least you can make it out! I have a lot of slicks.

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was told to use a soft DRY toothbrush on finds like that.

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Carry a toothpick on you and start working on a copper as soon as it is out of the ground before it turns to poop like yours. That one was probably well worn before being dropped though. I like to leave some dirt on the coin tohighlight detail. If its inreally good shape I will use a wet q-tip to remove dirt. It doesnt matter anyway. All dug coppers are wothless unless key date or in unusually good condition.

OP
OP
Murray8144

Murray8144

Aug 20, 2015
Essex County, NJ
Detector(s) used
eTrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Carry a toothpick

just put some in my pouch

All dug coppers are wothless unless key date or in unusually good condition.

yeah i just can't stand not having a date. makes the coin so much more satisfying if i have the date. might be my imagination but 1837 might be coming through...

IMG_5898.PNG

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice relic and coin finds! :occasion14:

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not your fault. With coppers in that condition, they're most often beyond hope.
Once that fragile oxidation crust/patina preserving any hint of detail is removed, there's no way to bring that detail that was underneath back.

Once I dug a 1910-S Lincoln in beautiful shape with a nice green patina. . . once it dried, the green patina started flaking off and all that was left underneath was a sand-blasted copper disk.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread