Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Often times I’ll find a coin and look up the value and every time they seem to ignore a dug coin, according to the article I just read, based on detail, this coin would be considered fine, but is it really? I’m curious how a dug coin really compares, personally I like the patina but I suspect it wipes out the value more often than not
FFF59176-7FA9-4663-B95C-3F8571CAA88D.jpeg
D579A821-9CBB-4174-8B56-F23D8D3AE39F.jpeg

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know how the experts grade dug coins except to classify them as having environmental damage. In our club we grade them as a non dug coin and then drop the grade down one classification....example, a non dug coin in fine condition would be very good in dug condition.

OP
OP
Older The Better

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would make sense to me, I never intend to sell my finds but I like to know what I have. I’m not a coin collector so maybe it’s just me but I think 120 years of patina has its own kind of desirability, if I could shine it up without damage I think I’d pass, I like the green.

CoinsAndThings

Dec 4, 2020
Utah
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some coin collectors like patina on a coin. Particularly silver coins.

I collect mostly half-dollars myself and don't particularly care for a heavy patina. However I've seen some coins with a heavy patina going for thousands.

Basically it depends on the collector. Though there are trends that collectors follow on this subject.

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good topic...my 2 cents worth from a 40 year coin collector...coin shops and collectors are looking for detail and the best grades. Usually Very fine and above. Most dug coins are in good to Very fine range, silver ones probably go higher. But coin shops are kinda like theives, give you maybe half of what the book says its worth in any grade. So I consider dug coins ( I dug a 1914-D penny and some other key dates ) to be kept and not sold. They are worth MORE than money. They are a personal find that you made, that has no monetay value based on accomplishment !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread