Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
UPDATE IN REPLY #102! It appears that the example of the PB countermark on my coin was UNIQUE as of 2003--hoping for more information on whether any have been recovered since!

Hello All,

I am still shaking from the find I just made, even though some hours have passed. I had metal detecting dreams last night. Was surprised I didn't wake to find a dig hole in my mattress! :D

Went out with Diggergirl to a site where she wanted to dig an old bottle trash pit. I got that excavation process started with her, and left her there happily recovering bottles.

HPIM4169.JPG

But the cane fields were calling me, and I just couldn't wait to get the F75 fired up and get in there. I didn't have high hopes, because the signs were turn-of-the-century, which is usually a bust down here in South Louisiana, due to the economic destruction of the civil war and Reconstruction period, followed immediately by the collapse of the depression. Plus, I really prefer CW-era and earlier finds. Just more history there, and more interest to me.

At any rate, I got going and to my surprise dug a couple Civil War bullets right off (dopped burnside and a .69 cal round ball). Picked up an 1890 IH right on top of the ground that beeped at me as I walked by. But I wasn't prepared for what I dug next! It was a quarter of an 8Reales. I had wanted a Big 8 forever, and had seen Hill Billy dig FOUR of them in Old Kentucky, and my digging buddy down here dug one last year! While I was really happy for them, I wanted one for the collection.

Well...it gets better! The cut coin has the coveted Planter's Bank New Orleans counterstamp! One of these was featured in Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine Best Finds issue this year, and they normally sell for $4,000-$6,000.00! An especially nice condition counterstamp of the same type recently sold for over $9,000: http://legacy.stacks.com/Lot/ItemDetail/4183

Enjoy the video and photos. I have a photo below of the Western & Eastern write-up in the Best Finds issue, but information on this rare counterstamp is readily available online as well.

Parts of three solid silver spoons:

HPIM4179.JPG HPIM4177.JPG HPIM4178.JPG

1890 IH was a nice surprise:

HPIM4180.JPG HPIM4181.JPG

Nice 1913 Barber Dime :)

HPIM4175.JPG HPIM4176.JPG

And the cut 8Reales:

HPIM4173.JPG HPIM4174.JPG

HPIM4172.JPG

The "PB" stamp is different on the one I dug than any others I've seen (an oval on mine vs a circle with chain border on the others). Wonder if that's a new variety of the counterstamp?

All the digs, not including the brass crappe (recycling!) and bucket of scrap iron. :D

HPIM4182.JPG

It's nice to finally hit a BIG find. I knew one of us would dig one sooner or later. Even though I still want to dig a gold coin, IMO this is better than a gold coin, not only in terms of value, but also in history.

Best Wishes,

Buck

Last edited:
Upvote 70
OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on the clarity of the stamp I was going to guess $3000, that is easily $1000 better than any coin I've ever found. I've only had 2 finds valued in that range, one was a 'unique to date' find & the other the gold ring I got the banner for. Both are lifetime finds, so you must be really pleased. So whats going on your top 5 list to replace it?

I am very pleased. This most certainly is a lifetime find for me.

Since this was a total surprise, the top five have to remain:

5. Gold Coin
4. Antebellum Jewelry, Silver OR Gold
3. Louisiana Regimental Button (Garde d'Orleans, Fusilliers de Donaldsonville, or similar)
2. Louisiana Belt Plate
1. The Rest of the Spanish Cap Badge I dug

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find !! any idea on the mint date of the cut 8 reale? Jim

Yes, actually I did get the date portion of the quarter. I can see "1 0" followed by the dot below the bust, so it was most certainly an 1810 8 Reales, and I can see the Mexico City mintmark.

P.S.--you can see the zero underneath the left corner of the "PB" counterstamp, the number "1" closer to the cut, and the dot clearly between the two counterstamps.

Cheers,

Buck

Jyverb64

Oct 30, 2012
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer Se Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Buck that's just awesome!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, your new detecting attire is in the mail. Hope you don't mind the Garrett color. (It's all that was left) :laughing7:

Attachments

• pro.jpg
    pro.jpg
    105.7 KB · Views: 81

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact your countermark is different should make a substantial difference in interest and value. I would be on a mission if I were you to get to the bottom of it.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact your countermark is different should make a substantial difference in interest and value. I would be on a mission if I were you to get to the bottom of it.

Do you have any contacts I can ask? I am going to ask Don in SJ as well.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think there is everything to gain by doing that. You recommend a brief lemon juice bath?

Not sure I would touch this one, you know better than most, you can't undo a bad clean. Its too much money to mess with.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have any contacts I can ask? I am going to ask Don in SJ as well.

If you click the link you posted you'll see the stamp is described as.... Rulau HT-124-6, PB obverse die B, PB reverse die 3.

So it seems there is varieties. A first step would be trying to track them down to see what the difference is. You could always write Stacks, as it is something they have experience with.

OP
OP
BuckleBoy

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you click the link you posted you'll see the stamp is described as.... Rulau HT-124-6, PB obverse die B, PB reverse die 3.

So it seems there is varieties. A first step would be trying to track them down to see what the difference is. You could always write Stacks, as it is something they have experience with.

Excellent. This is also the first example I have seen with both stamps on the same side of the coin.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure I would touch this one, you know better than most, you can't undo a bad clean. Its too much money to mess with.

Even though I could possibly see it improving the eye appeal, I'd probably back off that idea, at least for the moment.

It looks like mostly dirt on there. The ideal cleaning would be soap and water with some light brushing to remove the dirt and keep the color. The problem with the lemon is you could be left with some really shiny parts, and some not so shiny. I'm curious to see it if you can remove the dirt.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent. This is also the first example I have seen with both stamps on the same side of the coin.

Both on the same side probably doesn't mean very much, at least compared to the stamp itself.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though I could possibly see it improving the eye appeal, I'd probably back off that idea, at least for the moment.

It looks like mostly dirt on there. The ideal cleaning would be soap and water with some light brushing to remove the dirt and keep the color. The problem with the lemon is you could be left with some really shiny parts, and some not so shiny. I'm curious to see it if you can remove the dirt.

I thought he had used warm soapy water, if not then that would be fine.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought he had used warm soapy water, if not then that would be fine.

Quite possible, but I hope not because I guess it means the dirt is stuck on there pretty good.

BB... Just another note on the stamp being on the same side.... This is likely just a spacing issue, as you can see on the other pic the coin would not have the room to put both on the same side. I'm curious if other larger examples that have the space, were also be marked on both sides. As far as countermarks go I believe it is more common to have multiple stamps on the same side than putting them on both, and it makes sense to do it that way because the mark usually affects the opposite side of the coin... not that the person would be concerned with the undertype, but could also affect the already stamped countermark. It just seems to make more sense to put both on the same side when possible.

Last edited:

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats Buck! Simply amazing and really, the true beauty of this hobby. You just never know when or what the next thing may be. Congrats, sir! You deserve it!

CC Hunter

Aug 7, 2004
Timbuktu
Detector(s) used
Magnet on a Stick

Crusader is providing excellent advice there!

This is a wonderful specimen and a once in a lifetime find. If the coin is ever professionally graded, or goes to auction, they will inspect the surface with microscopic scrutiny. Definitely DO NOT, wipe or brush the surface with anything. Even the softest toothbrush or Q-tip that slips across the surfaces of silver can leave tiny scratches, sometimes only visible under magnification.

There are some professional coin cleaning products, such as MS70 and e*Z*est, allowing a coin to simply be dipped, to remove some oxidation and surface spotting. I've had reasonable success with these on some silver coins in the past. However, this rare one here is certainly not a coin to experiment with. Ultrasonic cleaning also can be beneficial in some applications.

The semi-rare date 1856 S quarter shown below, was carefully rinsed in warm water, then followed with a quick dip of e*Z*est. The first photo is exactly as the coin was found, as I had not attempted any field cleaning. The coin was carefully wrapped in wet paper towels and placed inside a small plastic container, until reaching home. This is merely an illustration of the results of one method. With such a rare silver piece as the New Orleans counterstamped cut real, the best choice is certainly to leave AS IS rather than test out "trial and error".

CC Hunter

Attachments

• 1856-Quarter.jpg
    1856-Quarter.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 73
  • 1856-S Qrt. Dirt.jpg
    1856-S Qrt. Dirt.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread