CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ugh yeah that would be bad got a nest of them after me while lawn mowing once ! I was thinking along the lines of a soda pop can full of ants in the digging tool pouch lol !

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
We had a nest under our grape vines one time. They had clipped the grape leaves to make room for landing patterns, and the hole was tiny, but I marked the spot in the day time. Nobody had been stung, but they were to close to the house for comfort. That night I got a funnel, and while all the foraging yellow critters had come home and were in the hole presumably in bed sleeping, I put the funnel tip in the hole and started pouring black powder in until it stopped flowing. Took about half a pound of powder. So now all the yellow jackets are trapped, and I suppose trying to dig out. I have some fireworks fuse, so used enough of that to let me get well away. Then I lit the fuse and backed off out of the way, in fact way back. The powder ignited like an upside down rocket ship, blasting fire out of the hole, burning a huge portion of the grape vines. Then it blew, but not with a large bang like I thought would happen. More of a whoomp, and smoldering nest material was spread out around the perimeter. Got all the yellow jackets, and eventually the hole in the grapes healed over, and yes, I'd do it again. If anyone thinks about copying me, be warned that lots and lots of very hot fire comes out of that hole, so be careful where you do it. Grapes is one thing, burning a house or out building is something else.

Sod Buster

Jun 14, 2014
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, White's Bullseye TRX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We dug up a can in Texas years ago, that had a Tarantula in it. I'm not real fond of spiders, but I kept him for a while as a pet, before letting him go in the woods.

Boatlode

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2014
Florida Treasure Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark......
Nokta Pulse dive....
Scubapro Jet Fins...................
Mares Puck dive computer.......
Sherwood Silhouette BCD.......
Poseidon Cyklon 300 regulator...
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Had an underground yellow jacket nest once. I waited until dusk when they would all be in there, poured some gasoline down the hole, and dropped a match in. FOOF! A fireball shot out of the hole, followed by a flaming swarm of yellow jackets on fire.

It was pretty spectacular. Wish I had it on video.

Limitool

Gold Member
Jun 9, 2013
Middle TN. area
Detector(s) used
White XLT Spectrum E-Series
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Guess I could always pee down the hole. :tongue3:

Go ahead.... Set up a tripod to video tape this event (please include audio). Drink about 4 beers and don't pee. Turn on video walk out to nest and whip it out. Take a deep breath and let'er go buddy. Now you gonna have to "man up" at this point because you got to finish what you started (could go viral). And don't forget to shake a little also when done. After this point it doesn't matter. After you recover PLEASE post video....

Signed your thoughtful T-net buddy..... Brad!

BosnMate

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2010
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, Whites DFX, Whites 6000 Di Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
Had an underground yellow jacket nest once. I waited until dusk when they would all be in there, poured some gasoline down the hole, and dropped a match in. FOOF! A fireball shot out of the hole, followed by a flaming swarm of yellow jackets on fire.

It was pretty spectacular. Wish I had it on video.

Don't you just love it. Every year I look for yellow jacket nests, and for several years haven't found one. Gas is cheaper than black powder anymore, but I've done the black powder thing twice. Probably has something to do with being a pyrotechnic nut.

OP
OP
M

Moresound

Jun 26, 2014
Jaffrey, New Hampshire
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went back to that site again today and found some really cool stuff. In fact it's a virgin cellar hole.

But I kept looking at that area with the exultant reading next to the bee's knees nest. :BangHead:

Hendo0601

Jul 30, 2014
California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have used gasoline before to eliminate these flying yellow death machines. It's pretty spectacular to see the fireball then the flaming yellow jackets going down like a squadron of Japanese Zeros.

CincinnatiKid

Bronze Member
Nov 5, 2013
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I once installed a lightnin' rod system on a home. After rods and wires were installed on roof, I had to basically "jack hammer" an 8ft long, 1.5inch diameter solid copper pole into ground. Wires eventually attached to this to ground current from a potential lightnin' strike.
Well, who but me could have picked a mud dobbers nest to drive pole through. Got stung twice fore I dropped tool and took off! One of the stings was on upper cheek. I awoke the next morn to a swollen face, complete w closed eye.
Needless to say, I steer clear of 'em now!
Peace

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here and got stung on the tongue!!! talking about a tongue twister lool - bad thing about it some machines will make it sound like something is deep around a hollow hole and then u dig into it... I've have had to leave signals around fire ants nests too...

Jeremy S

Feb 27, 2012
God's Country
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250, AT Pro, Garret Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I mowed over a yellow jacket nest on Sunday in my lawn. Took a sting right by my left eye and had many others flying after me when I took off running. Two days and two doctor visits later I can finally see out of my eyes. They were completely swollen shut for most of Monday and all of today until just a little while ago! It took two EpiPen injections and a steroid injection, followed by a whole cocktails or steroids and antihistamines with ice packs to reduce the swelling. I've never been allergic to bee stings before, but I may have to carry an EpiPen with me from now on.

This was me this morning.

2014-09-09 16.52.27.jpg

I am very lucky that I did not go into anaphylatic shock.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
I use to have some fun getting the nests.there was an old house on the property in NH that we were care takers of..Every summer there would be a huge yellow jackets nest at the peak of the roof.I use to shot bottle rockets through a copper pipe at it.If I ran out of rockets,or got bored, I'd bring out the heavy artillery.A fully automatic BB gun,the fire rate was 60 rounds a second.:laughing7:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use to have some fun getting the nests.there was an old house on the property in NH that we were care takers of..Every summer there would be a huge yellow jackets nest at the peak of the roof.I use to shot bottle rockets through a copper pipe at it.If I ran out of rockets,or got bored, I'd bring out the heavy artillery.A fully automatic BB gun,the fire rate was 60 rounds a second.:laughing7:
Was that one of those bb guns that used a can of Freon or something for the power? They used to be for sale in the back of Outdoor Life magazines.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other

Neat idea bottle rockets thru a pipe :)

I am guessing that BB gun never existed, but it would be a cool toy :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread