Dug Rattlesnake Button

GWash

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This variety of rattlesnake button manufacture type is seldom seen or dug that being a pierced see through button pattern. All of these rattlesnake buttons are on a solid disk of copper or brass and are not a pierced patterned exampled as this one shown is. I know of another pattern where only one pierced rattlesnake button exist other than these two buttons the pierced patterned type are almost unheard of. Treasurenet diggers have dug and posted this exact button in the past of the solid type so I thought it would be educational to expose this example to the digging community on the forum. I did not dig this item but purchase it from the digger, but I did condition the button to bring out the fine details as you will note in the BEFORE and AFTER pictures. I am a digger, hunter, seeker and forager of relics using my metal detector but have not had the pleasure of digging a rattlesnake button. I have dug 23 George Washington buttons and my first 33 mm very large Patriotic Rev War period "Bar Button" March 2023 posted on this site. So buy I must to acquire one of these rare type of rattlesnake buttons as it is still in the spirit of our trade as metal detectorist and that is pursuing, seeking, hunting and foraging for what we desire. Enjoy..

Attachments

• IMG_9139 Pierced Rattlesnake Button..jpg
    IMG_9139 Pierced Rattlesnake Button..jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 101
Upvote 18

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seen a few rattlesnake buttons posted but can't remember this variant before - CONGRATS

OP
OP
G

GWash

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seen a few rattlesnake buttons posted but can't remember this variant before - CONGRATS
Thank you crusader. There are not many of us left being those that seek relics of the past from the founding period of our Republic in America and those that I assumed searched the early hot spots of England now currently over hunted. These items seemed to have disappeared from discovery for those seeking, hunting, foraging and pursuing 18th century relics leaving us with the new generation of metal detectorist searching school yard and parks for discoveries to be posted as banner discoveries. I hear a distant song-"those were the days my friend we thought would never end la la la na". :-) )-:

LandSeig

May 16, 2020
Southeast Tx
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, NEL Storm coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button! I would love the chance to hunt rev war sites, we’re just running a little short on them down here in Texas.

OP
OP
G

GWash

Mar 5, 2012
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you. We in the metal detecting community must keep in mind that finds are where you find them whether in the fields, Colonial home sites, Fairs, Parks, Beaches or the Mines and Ghost Towns out West, etc. But why limit your foraging to these diminishing opportunities as they are hunted out and searched again and again when you can expand your search area into Auctions, Tag Sales or Antique vendors or Flea Markets. This is still hunting, searching, foraging and seeking very similar to metal detecting, as its the hunt.
I have opened my horizons for the wider search beyond metal detecting but still get out in the wilderness to metal detect. As the solitude, the smell of the woods and the feeling of standing on hollow ground where the founding citizens of our Republic struggled to tame the land is priceless even when no recoveries are made for the days spent pursuing our hobby of metal detecting. This is how the rattlesnake button you are viewing was recovered from a
"For Sale" offer I pursued. Frankly the rattlesnake button if recovered from a Colonial home site would give my mind much more pleasure and more to think about than a purchase from a vendor but I now have the pleasure of owning one of these buttons due to a wider searching pattern in my pursuits of Rev War and Colonial relics. Expand your horizons and "Enjoy The Hunt".

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"I have dug 23 George Washington buttons" :notworthy: :hello2: :icon_thumright:
That is amazing1!!!
Congrats on this new find. I've never heard of or seen one. Another learning experience here on Tnet.
MM

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recovery
Congratulations