dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off I want to offer my sincere condolences to my northern friends who's ground is frozen but here in SC it's digging season 8-) Been waiting two years to get back to this place but it's been so overgrown we just couldn't hunt it. I dug a nice matching pair of big shoe buckles, a King George II halfpenny and a few early buttons the one time we tried searching there so we knew it was an old place and when we saw they were timbering the area we re-secured our permission and kept a close eye on it. When they got to the spot we wanted to hunt they just went around it and we were like :icon_scratch: We asked the guy on the bulldozer and he said they were done with that area but asked if we were finding anything. We told him we would be if they'd clean that spot over there up! He said he'd see what he could do about it and the next day when we went back the place was smooth as a baby's butt! We dug a bunch of flat, fancy and dandy buttons, a few buckles and musket parts, a couple coins and the usual pewter spoon pieces, musket balls, thimbles, melted lead etc... . I wish I could've gotten this coin before the bulldozer did, you can tell the edge damage on it is fresh as a daisy, but I'm happy to have it anyways. I added a picture of the pair of buckles that I got there two years ago, glad I got them before the bulldozer did :) Dave

Attachments

• 1794s72.jpg
    1794s72.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 403
  • 1911bucklesfandb.jpg
    1911bucklesfandb.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 341
Upvote 18

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome LC!!! :thumbsup: Even tho it has some dozer damage you might not have found it all without the dozer's help.

matt092079

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2011
Charles Town, WV
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 with 11" DD coil, Garrett Ace 250 with 9x12 coil, Garrett Pro-Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap. The condition is unbelievable!! Those buckles are awesome as well. Too bad about the damage...wow. What a beauty.

HutSiteDigger

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2012
Stafford,Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266x and a shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, i've dug some 1795ers before but no 94ers, aren't the 94ers rare? Great finds...:occasion14:

frogginfish

Dec 18, 2012
Southwest Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Fisher F2 w/11" DD coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds!!! The detail on the coin is amazing! Congrats

OP
OP
dsinsc

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome LC!!! :thumbsup: Even tho it has some dozer damage you might not have found it all without the dozer's help.
Thanks and yes I wouldn't have gotten it without the dozers help because that patch of woods was thick and rattlesnake infested so there was no going in there until it got cleared off. All day we could hear the timber crew shooting snakes as they pushed over the rotting stumps and about 200 buzzards were circling overhead waiting for a snake dinner !

OP
OP
dsinsc

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy crap. The condition is unbelievable!! Those buckles are awesome as well. Too bad about the damage...wow. What a beauty.
Thanks Matt and yea it is too bad the dozer got it before me but like the old saying goes, that's the way the cookie crumbles :)

OP
OP
dsinsc

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, i've dug some 1795ers before but no 94ers, aren't the 94ers rare? Great finds...:occasion14:

Hi and Thanks, Yes some varieties of 1794 are rare but this is a more common type, it's a Head of 95. Still pretty rare to dig one, at least for me, I've dug hundreds of old coppers over the last 23 years and this is my first Liberty Cap!

OP
OP
dsinsc

dsinsc

Nov 29, 2011
The Low Country
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelabs Fisher F-75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds!!! The detail on the coin is amazing! Congrats
Thanks and I was surprised it had that much detail on it myself. It was crusted over pretty bad but it cleaned up better than I thought it would. I took some pictures of it right out of the ground with my buds camera, still waiting on him to email them to me though.

rhedden

Mar 23, 2003
Eastern NY
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex
Wow, too bad about the rim dents. The detail is solidly VF+, and the surfaces are not bad for a dug Liberty Cap. I see from your photo filename that you already know it's S72, so no point in mentioning that. ;) My lone Liberty Cap is so toasted that it has no date at all, just a ghost outline of the head. Wish I still lived in a state that had old coppers. I'd be lucky to dig an 1894 cent here in Texas, never mind 1794.

dimedigger

Jan 25, 2013
waccamaw
Detector(s) used
BH pioneer ex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
way to go fellow sc'r gonna be 68 degrees tuesday. no need to work when you can go md'ing

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice find, congrats , and a thanks to your dozer help happy hunting

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, it's good and frozen solid up here in Detroit, very cool largie, I'm still looking for my first one!

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice saves , the coin is a looker , too bad it took a hit , hey $& it happens, still deserves a Big Congrats

DJWEHAGE

Nov 30, 2012
Aberdeen, MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ 21, CZ20, CZ 7a Pro, Equinox 800, Stealth 920xi
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very nice find. Great details for a copper in the ground for so long! :notworthy:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow - that thing is gorgeous!! Don't think I've ever seen one of the early LCs in that kind of condition. Not even close.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! That is a stunning Liberty Cap. Too bad about the damage, but it looks like old damage to me, since the damaged areas look to have the same patina as the coin from what I can see. Two perfect matching shoe buckles - you just don't see that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread