Dug what might be an unlisted REvolutionary War button today.....................

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dug what might be an unlisted Revolutionary War button today.....................

Got permission on Thursday to hunt a parcel of land I've wanted to my entire life. The current landowner just put it up for sale and I'm considering buying it as an investment. Today I was able to hunt it for about 2 hours. This site has both Revolutionary War and Civil War activity as so many sites in my area do. The pewter coat button I found today in not pictured or listed in Don Troini's book...... or if it is I can't find it. I don't know what I've found . It is roughly 25 mm (the size of a quarter) and has a wreath at the bottom and what looks like the sun with rays on the top and either 71 or 77. This same device is seen on many excavated British buttons but normally has more rays. I'm pretty excited about this one! Might be a unlisted Rev War button I just found! Definitely military and early as it has the turret shank on the back and the mold seam. The outer edges have a little flaking damage as does the shank as most pewter buttons do but not much. Going to let it dry and then lightly brush it with a dry toothbrush before sealing it with poly urethane. Then I will be on the phone with Don Troini. Pictured from the field......... Large Coat Pewter Numbered Rev War button (American, Loyalist or British) , Civil War two-piece button (turned out to be a eagle), and Sharps bullets found in a pit with LOTS of broken horseshoes. I will be back to dig this pit out! Also found a 1857 Flying Eagle Penny and some melted lead and of course shotgun shells! This site will take me many days to carefully hunt. Any info on this button would be appreciated or anybody who has found something similar to this please let me know........... I am a happy relic hunter tonight! HH Devonrex

Attachments

• DSCF1439 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF1439 - Copy.JPG
    364.6 KB · Views: 142
  • DSCF1438 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF1438 - Copy.JPG
    336.8 KB · Views: 120
  • DSCF1443 - Copy.JPG
    DSCF1443 - Copy.JPG
    340.7 KB · Views: 130
  • DSCF1446.JPG
    DSCF1446.JPG
    156.7 KB · Views: 152
  • DSCF1450.JPG
    DSCF1450.JPG
    154.7 KB · Views: 95
  • DSCF1453.JPG
    DSCF1453.JPG
    189.2 KB · Views: 81
Last edited:
Upvote 2

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't seen one like that before...Certainly could be anything...hope you get more information on it and that it's unlisted

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a flower motif but I can't see a number...can you highlight it? May be my aging eyes...

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great stuff :icon_thumleft: I hope it is a unique RW Button, I bet you can't wait for the news :icon_thumleft:

SS

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Cool finds!

I see the 71 you guys see but I think that is one of the flower petals.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds! Hope it turns out to be a rare button for you! HH!

OP
OP
Devonrex

Devonrex

Jan 6, 2012
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, Nautilus DMC IIB
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I thought it was numbers but it may be just part of the sun or petals of a flower. The bottom has an intricate wreath pattern like that of the Kings Orange Rangers. This button has a turret shank though and was found on the right side of the staging area for the battle of Yorktown. What do I have here???

Last edited:

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really cool finds.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread