Dumb & Dumber

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Well early this morning I watched Gold Fever with Tom Massie and his daughter Kia. they were out in AZ looking for quartz to crush . the show was named "Rock Crusher" It had my attention! BUT Tom should know better to be doing this and NOT wearing ANY eye protection and and going into mines (when he says ,"stay out and stay alive" on his shows ,he did a irresponsible act of doing this while being filmed! THEN he and Kia got back to their camp and they had a flaling rock crushed in which he operated WITHOUT ear protection OR eye protection and NO dust mask. .............All of these newbees are watching Tom do this (to me) irresponsible acts and then these newbees figure Ole Tom can do it ,why cant I???? I liked watching Buzzard and his exploits , BUT Tom (to me) has gone over the limit showing the newbees how EZ it is to get gold. Plus he was running a shaker table that was set on the rocky/sandy soil and not mounted correctly to the ground.:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead: what kind of example dose he think hes making for these newbees watching his show? Yep hes got his $$$$$$$$$$ and the heck with the rest! NOW to me , he rates right up there with toad!

Upvote 0

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yup, he's now "part of the problem".

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I always liked watching Buzzard. He seemed genuinely concerned about being able to educate people. George was passed for about a year before I ever found out from the shows. Was a sad day for me!

On the other hand, Tom started off OK, but after Buzzard passed, his shows became just that - "shows". The more time went by, the more he seemed (to me) to push their product rather than educating the public - I think because by this time they already had a good, solid base of repeat customers and an ever-growing clientele.

Perry was OK - I liked his 'info' better than Tom, but he was definitely no TV superstar!

I have a friend who knows the Massey's personally. He says they're good people, and I trust him quite much.

...If I had a choice of watching Buzzard's reruns or watching brand new, never-before-seen shows by Tom, I'd choose Buzzard's reruns in a heartbeat!! ...Even 1 rerun per 20 brand new episodes. I just haven't been impressed with the newer shows in a very, VERY long time. ...Of course, we also got rid of satellite several years ago. The (lack of) quality of the newer shows was part of that decision. *LOL*

Last edited:

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buzz was a trip as got buzzed together a few times on the Yuba waaaaaay back in the day. He was great at crashing planes and tearing them up with rough landings. Fun fella for sure, next gen not so much. John

pcampbell

Feb 24, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still enjoy watching Tom. I also think you might over-estimate the number of people watching Gold Fever. It is a pretty obscure show compared to Gold Rush and Bering Sea.

goldenIrishman

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2013
Golden Valley Arid-Zona
Detector(s) used
Fisher / Gold Bug AND the MK-VII eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember the old days with Buzzard running the show. Back then it was a great way to LEARN more about the different aspects of mining. Since his passing, the show has been like a roller coaster ride between actual instructions and just plain silliness. The show would have benefited greatly if Tom had spent some of that money on some acting lessons. His delivery of his lines fluctuates between plain silly and completely annoying. Even though they do manage to pass on a little information, I gave up watching because I couldn't handle the silliness.

Comparing the old GPAA show with Gold Rush or Bearing Sea Gold is just not fair. Buzzard was there to teach us and help us to become more successful in our mining efforts. Toad on the other hand has proven to be a great source of information on how NOT to run a mining operation. I remember back at the start when he drove 100s of miles to get the expanded metal for their system and didn't even pay attention to the fact that they had cut it 90 degrees out. Needless to say it was another trip to the supplier in White Horse to get it replaced. I knew right then that Gold Rush was pretty much doomed to being a comedy of errors.......

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Tom Massie has said he likes to do goofy stuff and play acting so ...get used to it! (Yuck)

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
I donated my VHS videos of the early shows to our club here in Misery. It was a big cardboard box full of them! Yep in the early days the Buzzard did good ! NOT so any more. Toms last show Saturday morning was one stupid idea after the other. (previously posted )

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I remember the old days with Buzzard running the show. Back then it was a great way to LEARN more about the different aspects of mining. Since his passing, the show has been like a roller coaster ride between actual instructions and just plain silliness. The show would have benefited greatly if Tom had spent some of that money on some acting lessons. His delivery of his lines fluctuates between plain silly and completely annoying. Even though they do manage to pass on a little information, I gave up watching because I couldn't handle the silliness.

Comparing the old GPAA show with Gold Rush or Bearing Sea Gold is just not fair. Buzzard was there to teach us and help us to become more successful in our mining efforts. Toad on the other hand has proven to be a great source of information on how NOT to run a mining operation. I remember back at the start when he drove 100s of miles to get the expanded metal for their system and didn't even pay attention to the fact that they had cut it 90 degrees out. Needless to say it was another trip to the supplier in White Horse to get it replaced. I knew right then that Gold Rush was pretty much doomed to being a comedy of errors.......

...Or an error of comedies! :BangHead:

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
I donated my VHS videos of the early shows to our club here in Misery. It was a big cardboard box full of them! Yep in the early days the Buzzard did good ! NOT so any more. Toms last show Saturday morning was one stupid idea after the other. (previously posted )

I contacted GPAA some time back to ask if there was any way to purchase the Buzzard's old shows. The woman on the phone snubbed me something fierce!! Still trying to figure that one out!

I would consider well over 1/2 of Buzzard's episodes to be of great importance in such a video library, even though much of what he said, he repeated over and over. On the other hand, when he repeated over and over, there was a real reason for it.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I met the Buzzard on a trip to Alaska, and he was quite the promoter; as well, he knew how to sniff out the gold for sure.

I spent some time with Perry on a little creek up in the hills. Most all of the other miners were gone, and we had some time to talk. He showed me some very interesting things, gave me some great tips, explained how they had located the inland gold, and when he talked, there was no B.S. in his approach to mining. He knew what he was talking about, and he was very easy to talk to. Moreover, he was patient in his answering of my questions, and yet I knew he was very busy. He appeared, compared to me, to be someone that knew a lot about mining. It wasn't until later that I found out he'd gone to University to study mining, and coupled with his experience in the field with all kinds of mining, it then made sense to me. Unlike his brother, Perry was quiet and thoughtful in his answers and with his advice. Something happened to move Perry out of the business, and now Tom is the face of the operation, but I really enjoyed Perry's approach and attitude.

All the best,

Lanny

OP
OP
R

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Lanny I agree about Perry BUT Tom would be MUCH better off (on Gold Fever shows) if he would just be like his father and Perry and stop the silliness on these shows! Hes a smart guy NO DOUBT , BUT............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread