dumb question...just confirming a hunch

penster

Sep 3, 2012
CT
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm headed to virginia this weekend to camp and prospect my creek. I have a branch that runs only during heavy rains. there are lots of bedrock and quartz outcroppings on this branch and flour gold in the creek. My hubby has a 10 yr old garrett treasure ace 350. Is it even worth the trouble to pack it to metal detect. I'm getting the impression that you need a more powerful machine to detect gold in bedrock or quartz. plan on maybe doing some crevicing if I get too cold in the creek--though with the fever i don't think that will be a problem! thanks for the input.

penny

Upvote 0

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Leave the detector at home unless you want to look for spare change or relics. You'll have better luck finding flour gold with a pan and sluice.

Enjoy the trip,
GG~

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Leave the detector at home unless you want to look for spare change or relics. You'll have better luck finding flour gold with a pan and sluice.

Enjoy the trip,
GG~

X 2!

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couldn't disagree more. That unit will easily find --all units--the heaviest areas of highly mineralized soil-aka where the gold lies ,if there,with the black heavy sands. The unit will go crazy when you find these areas,but extremely limited for nugget recovery, and you thusly simply drop a colored poker chip or marble on the ground or drag your foot to outline the areas of the heaviest mineralization and viola you are now in the best possible area to get gold. No detector is worthless as even when they can't handle the ungodly mineralization THAT is indeed a precious clue to your hunt. Get up--get out--and get it on-and always utilize any/all equipment at your disposal to prosper--tons a au 2 u 2 -John

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess HJ has a point. You could use the detector to find a concentration of black sand and mineralization. Of course you do that with a shovel and a gold pan by test sampling the area like most prospectors do, and actually see where the gold concentration lies at the same time.
Experience reading a creek will help put you in the right spots to test.

With that being said, I will occasionally use the follow the black sand feature on my Whites Gold Master II when prospecting an unfamiliar area. The highest concentration of gold usually lies along the inside edge (toward the creek) side of the black sand concentration.

Go for the gold,
GG~

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I agree, just about any detector will hit on big enough nuggets(even an Ace 250). You never know when and where they're going to pop up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions