dumbest teller around

bgretz1989

Dec 28, 2008
I was in line to cash the payroll check today when the man in front of me traded in a bunch of big dollars. lucky me, i got the teller who had recieved them and told her i wanted them. she first told me she didnt have any then quickly changed to them being reserved for another customer. i put up a fight knowing there were a few silver rims that i could see. branch manager was on break and i left with her number. upon calling her she said come on in and get them. when i returned the manager was now on lunch and i was turned down again. threatened to close all my accounts and the teller smiled and said go ahead. this situation really set me off as i calmly walked out and went to the main branch to file a complaint. when i was there, i was told that the tellers are not allowed to hold coins for anyone and that she will be reprimanded for this. guess they have been having problems with there tellers breaking the rules and keeping the silver out for their personal gains without selling it from their till and then buying it back. now with that and not listening to the branch manager she must know shes in for it. sure hope she found something rare to be putting her job on the line for and not just silver value

Upvote 0

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Both of the major banks that I belong to must refuse any silver coins or coins with great numismatic value, and direct customer to coin dealer or pawn shop. Tellers have explained this to me several times over the last year or two. Explains why I never see any silver in their trays. ffd

Kauka

Apr 22, 2010
fistfulladirt said:
Both of the major banks that I belong to must refuse any silver coins or coins with great numismatic value, and direct customer to coin dealer or pawn shop. Tellers have explained this to me several times over the last year or two. Explains why I never see any silver in their trays. ffd

wish that would be the case with my bank branches
they still cherry pick on my side
yes, a pet peeve of mine

rwb83

Mar 31, 2010
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Looking to buy!!!
Wow not only was did she disobey the branch manager but, then ontop of it she was extremely rude with the "Go ahead comment" I'm sure thats not in the employee hand book on how to provide customer service...

quiksilver

Bronze Member
Oct 25, 2009
Good to see banks setting decent ground rules. I would much rather see banks giving people a heads up then cherrypicking . I mean if some old lady was going to give you an ounce of gold for 20 or 50 dollars , would you accept?

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kauka said:
fistfulladirt said:

wish that would be the case with my bank branches
they still cherry pick on my side
yes, a pet peeve of mine

Really? You want your bank to refuse all silver coins? If all banks are required to search for and refuse all silver, then there is nothing to CRH for! You might want to re-think that one.

bgretz1989 said:
I was in line to cash the payroll check today when the man in front of me traded in a bunch of big dollars. lucky me, i got the teller who had recieved them and told her i wanted them. she first told me she didnt have any then quickly changed to them being reserved for another customer. i put up a fight knowing there were a few silver rims that i could see. branch manager was on break and i left with her number. upon calling her she said come on in and get them. when i returned the manager was now on lunch and i was turned down again. threatened to close all my accounts and the teller smiled and said go ahead. this situation really set me off as i calmly walked out and went to the main branch to file a complaint. when i was there, i was told that the tellers are not allowed to hold coins for anyone and that she will be reprimanded for this. guess they have been having problems with there tellers breaking the rules and keeping the silver out for their personal gains without selling it from their till and then buying it back. now with that and not listening to the branch manager she must know shes in for it. sure hope she found something rare to be putting her job on the line for and not just silver value

I understand how frustrating it would be to see someone cash in silver (especially silver dollars!) and not be able to get them, but what is causing a big fuss going to accomplish? Short-term, maybe you do get these silver dollars after all, but I'd lay 3 to 1 that you never score another silver coin in this bank. Long-term, your bank and all other branches of this same bank, may very well go to the policy that FFD's have implemented - that all silver coins must be refused thereby pretty much ending all CRHing opportunities for yourself and everyone else. Is it really worth it?

I see the tellers' side in this argument too. If I worked as a teller, and I strongly suspect that you and most on the forum would do the same, I would snatch up every piece of silver that came my way. If I were the head teller/manager, I would give "first shot" at any coin that came through to my employees (and if they weren't interested to save them for me!)...but I would require that they get anything they wish to keep for themselves out of sight just to avoid confrontations with CRHers.

Just my opinion, and maybe I am in the minority here. HH!

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
You arent owed silver coins from the banks. If this lady was a teller you didnt know you might could have asked "could I just see those big dollars he just had." At that point having even the smallest conversation about them and how much you love to collect coins would have made it nearly impossible to turn you down when asking to buy a couple. Threatening to get a person fired because you didnt get your way in my opinion is in poor taste and is a perfect way to hurt your own hobby and chances.

There is a lady at my local bank who has picked silver there for over 20 years. I had very much the same situation happen to me when she took in some silver quarters. I was turned down in buyin them but we struck up a nice conversation about old coins and now we actually trade coins from time to time and she has even called me on occasion when she has some coins saved for me she doesnt want.

Rakattack

Feb 9, 2010
SJ, CA
Sounds just like the teller that I met at a Chase branch the other day. I could clearly see a ASE (1 oz bullion silver) in his tray and I asked if I could have it. He looked at me and said, "No, it's mine". When I got home I called the branch and talked to the manager and he said that he allows his tellers to keep the coins they want as long as it doesn't come out of a wrapper :dontknow:

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I think a key point is being missed here. Those silver dollars or any other cash in the till is not the teller's personal property. Unless and until they buy or trade them out they are or should be fair game to any customer. If they want to cherry pick the till when nobody is @ fine more power to them. There is no need to lie or cheat a customer out of something that does not belong to them in the first place. Customer service has become a thing of the past. I would have complained too. On the other hand I also tell managers when I get good service too.

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
My question is, why are these coins in the tray where we can see them? Why not stick it in the cash drawer or on the far side of the tray out of our sight? Heck they could set it on the floor of their booth in the corner and pick it up after closing. Nope, they lay them right on top of the tray where everyone can get a good look. ??? :

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once my favorite BofA teller (when he saw me) motioned for me to come to his window. He cherry picks for me. He pulled open his cash drawer and picked up a wad of bills. Under the bills were a hand full of silver quarters.

I paid face and no other CRHers knew he had them because he didn't leave them out in the open.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that they shouldn't leave these out in the open. But I would imagine that it is against company policy to hoard money under the counter that can't be seen by the security cameras. There is more than one reason to use those teller trays. And security against employee theft is one of them.

dave5710

Mar 7, 2010
Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
T-2 Garrett Pro Pointer
mts, I agree and I thought about that too. Then say to the head teller, I would like to buy these coins later. Or I have 8 coins in my drawer to buy later. The fact of the matter is whether or not the drawer balances at the end of the day.

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it's pretty stupid that tellers can get away with what she did. They shouldn't get to hold onto coins, if they're going to they need to keep them out of sight. The fact of the matter is, this guy saw someone come in and dump them right in front of him. Then the teller lies right to his face and says that she's holding them for someone. How could she possibly be holding them for someone already immediately after they were brought in? Banks need to change this, if tellers want to coin roll hunt, they should have to order boxes for themselves. Is it in they're job description to find and cull silver coins?? I highly doubt it, I'm sure they're not supposed to at all.

mts

Bronze Member
May 18, 2009
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Pulsedive, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
timbobwey said:
I think it's pretty stupid that tellers can get away with what she did. They shouldn't get to hold onto coins, if they're going to they need to keep them out of sight. The fact of the matter is, this guy saw someone come in and dump them right in front of him. Then the teller lies right to his face and says that she's holding them for someone. How could she possibly be holding them for someone already immediately after they were brought in? Banks need to change this, if tellers want to coin roll hunt, they should have to order boxes for themselves. Is it in they're job description to find and cull silver coins?? I highly doubt it, I'm sure they're not supposed to at all.

She was holding them for someone... herself. She didn't lie. :wink:

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
She shouldn't be able to hold them for anyone. First come first serve. If she wants them, she should call a friend right away and have them buy them for her. It just isn't fair, I mean if I was a teller I would want them too. But if someone saw the transaction and knew that they were there, it seems like you would have to sell to them. If no one asked for large dollars that day, and at the end of the day they were still there, I'd say it's fair game for her to buy them from her own bank. I feel like this guy got hosed pretty good, I'd be steamed about it if I were him. I'd be calling the highest authority at that bank and pitching a fit. Banks are all about customer service, and the fact that she told him "go ahead" when he said he would pull his accounts, well that's just terrible on her part. He needs to tell someone above her about it, and let them deal with it. At my job I deal in customer service all day, and we have to make the customer happy. And I agree with it, even if it's BS sometimes. You don't ever tell someone "Go ahead" if they say they're never coming back, unless they are extremely difficult, and do something very bad. He sounds like he was polite with her, and just wanted to buy the coins and she was a straight up B*tch about it.

Kauka

Apr 22, 2010
cyberdan said:
Once my favorite BofA teller (when he saw me) motioned for me to come to his window. He cherry picks for me. He pulled open his cash drawer and picked up a wad of bills. Under the bills were a hand full of silver quarters.

I paid face and no other CRHers knew he had them because he didn't leave them out in the open.

WOW

JD-GA

Feb 2, 2010
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
" It just isn't fair," Tim-- If everything was fair we wouldnt be paying face value for silver coins. This is a bank, not a government agency. Different banks have different rules. Most banks that you can see a visible teller tray have rules in place where they cant personally change their own money for things in that tray until the end of a shift in view of their manager. If the teller is allowed by her manager to claim it, but cant exchange for it until the end of the day that is why you are seeing it. Because you can see it still doesnt make it yours or unfair for you. If this were the case I would be in a fist fight everytime i see someone eating MY cheeseburger. Im mean heck, they shouldnt get to eat it right in front of me lol.

Im in agreement the teller shouldnt have lied if indeed she did, but I highly doubt she said "go ahead" about closing the accounts with only the info that was posted. Spidey sense says there was more said that prompted it.

gotgot

Dec 29, 2008
I don't take hand rolls or loose coin from tellers, I only buy boxes, so I don't get into this situation.
I agree that you are not entitled to those coins, no matter what the reason, even if the teller is acting in violation of the bank's policy. They reserve the right - go take a hike.

HOWEVER - if I have a good amount of business at a bank, and a teller says that its fine with them if I pull all my business, then yes it is my obligation to inform bank management of the BUSINESS DECISION their teller felt authorized to make. In particular, if I am being polite and getting treated rudely in return....absolutely I am going to tell people in authority and the branch manager may not be my last contact, I may still write letters afterwards and will always hold in reserve the option of pulling my business regardless.
It has nothing to do with feeling entitled to anything except for respectful service.
And I had better been polite and civil throughout the transaction for me to have a leg to stand on. Not get smart-alecky with them. That invalidates any concerns about their disrespectfulness in return - you get what you give.

Any bank I order from (I use 4) , I have a substantial relationship with - at a minimum I will have a CD and a deposit savings account. Any bank I dump at, well...I am used to the looks, questions, stares and sighs but that comes with the CHR territory.
So does a dump bank want to get rid of me? I hear ya, brotha!
Does my pick-up bank want to get rid of me? They had better not, if they want to keep the rest of my business.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread