Dump Bank Experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
It's been a while since I posted but I wanted to share with you my dump bank experience today. I dump at this bank frequently but not in large quantities. The reason why I dump here so lightly was because one of the original head tellers a while ago gave me a Franklin Half Dollar long ago for face value. She was super nice and so I promised her I would never dump more than two bags there a week. Of course, she retired. I liked going there because they would just give me cash on the spot for the bags of coins I turn in. I and the bank have never had issue with the coins I dump here. I'm always accurate with what I bring in.

Now, they changed the rules with the new regime that is the same as other banks. No more getting cash on the spot for what I bring in. They have to do a deposit first and a withdraw from my account for cash. The deposit would take a week to process. Oh well, the benefits for coming in for exchanging fast cash and dumping lightly are gone.

I always ask for the old portrait design bills when I get cash. A month ago, the teller showed me she had a 1934 $100 but refused to give it to me. The only reason why she showed it to me was because I asked for older bills. I thought at the time, this is my dump bank for coins and they give me cash on the spot which is a benefit. No paper trail on my end but the policies have changed. I know that old currencies have little value but I think they're still cool and a 1934 bill has some value over face. I just would like to build a currency collection just from going to banks despite knowing they are mostly not worth much.

Fast forward to today, I asked for old portrait bills and this other teller starts to pull them out. She had a few $100's. But midway, she stopped and pulled one of them back. I could tell from the light green serial numbers and font that it was probably a 1934 $100. I told her to give it to me. She came up with the excuse that she's saving it for someone else since that person said he wanted that specific bill. I said that the person should've gotten it that day. I found her actions hard to believe and I think she was lying. She changed her description of who the guy was that was asking her to save older bills half way in our conversation. She swore that she would save them for me next time. I doubt it since the other teller who was working right beside her was the same one that showed me her 1934 $100 bill a month ago. People talk at banks especially when there's down time.

I thought about complaining to their manager because they shouldn't be doing coin or currency collecting on the job. My take is that if they're going to keep stuff for themselves, don't show it to the customers. What I don't see, I can't ask for. I told the teller that I've been nice to them by not dumping so hard on them in the past but I'm really considering changing my mind. I've been nice to them in the past and other tellers in the past have thanked me for not bringing in too much coin since it's pretty much all women that work as tellers and they hate having to carry heavy bags of coins. Since all the benefits of dumping lightly there are gone, I'm seriously considering using them as a primary dump bank since it is closer to my residence anyhow. I could do a large order and dump there all at once. LOL

When the female tellers start moaning about the coins I bring in, I could just say, "you can thank teller XXXY because she was doing personal money collecting on the job and would've give me what I asked for". LOL. I doubt by me saying that it would change anything there in terms of them holding onto older bills for me but I think people would get angry at that teller behind the scenes.

Just wanted to see what other folk's experiences are and whether a strategy like this or any other strategy can work to persuade them to not allow their employees to withhold coins or currency from customers. Just wanted to see how people's use of banks to dump on have been sweet revenge on an unhelpful teller. If this works at all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread