Dumped a bank...and it felt great!

lockespop

Nov 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, today I decided to make a quick run to a few local branches as I had an hour to burn. I stop at a few, make some small talk with the tellers, pick up a few clad here and there, nothing good. I stop in at one branch of one of my favorite banks and talk to the ladies, then I meander over and speak with the branch manager about mortgage rates as I am buying a new home in the next few months. I also talk to him about some transfers from my "big bank" that I will be making in the next month after some unfinished business with them clears up. He is happy to have my book of business coming his way. I wish them a good weekend and walk out.

On my way home I stop at another branch of the same bank, one that I don't go to much, and I ask for whatever coinage they would like to part with before the weekend. Two of the tellers faces light up with happiness and they start unlocking their cabinets. The third woman at the counter decides that I am something that escaped the bottom of her shoe, and loudly, and rudely, dripping with disdain, yells, "First of all, are you a customer?" (I can't stress the disdain in her voice.) I was a bit taken back, but I replied politely, "yes I am" - "Now, what do you want?", she says, still shooting me a dirty look. I say, "Just whatever rolled coin or bags of loose coin you would be willing to spare, or would like to get rid of." She snipes back, "If you don't tell me exactly what you want I can't help you." Now, I'm starting to get mad, but I restrain myself and say, "I'm not picky, I'll take whatever you can spare that is convenient, any denomination, whatever you don't want to account for at the end of the day."

With that she lets out a large, disdainful sigh. That was it for me. I said, "You know what, forget it. It's obviously too much trouble. I don't want to inconvenience you." (still holding back from really letting her have it) I turn to walk out the door and I hear her mutter under her breath, "Whatever!" -------- Whatever??? Okay, now it's on.

"Excuse me?" I say, "Was I asking too much of you?"
"Do me a favor and pull up my account...you got it? okay, now close it."
"But, but, but..."
"Do me one more favor, call Jack at the main branch and let him know I won't be coming in as planned in April to open my business accounts or my IRA. Also, give Charles with lending a call and let him know I won't be needing him for my mortgage either."
"Better yet, I'll just call them on my way over to PNC. Thanks for all your help today!"

It takes a lot to get me mad. I'm about as laid back a guy as anyone on this earth. She got under my skin fast.

And I did call those other guys to let them know that one bad apple cost them a minimum of $500K in business. They were not pleased, but they understood. They knew I was leaving my "big bank" to get better treatment. I'd hate to be the cause of anyone losing their job in this economy, but she is miserable and there is someone else out there who is in dire need of the job that she apparently hates doing.

One less bank on my docket...oh well.

Upvote 0

rocky raccoon

Jan 24, 2012
nc
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good for you,brother,last time I checked working with the public, was a Hospitality industry.......... :thumbsup:

BCD11

Oct 11, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Good for you!

Maybe the word will back downhill and she will get the message that at the end of the day the customer still counts.

Dok Holliday

May 2, 2011
Eastern Iowa
Primary Interest:
Other
lockespop said:
I'd hate to be the cause of anyone losing their job in this economy, but she is miserable and there is someone else out there who is in dire need of the job that she apparently hates doing.

You are an honest, decent, and truthful human being. I am honored to partake in this hobby with you.

ArkieBassMan

Silver Member
Dec 17, 2009
AR
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm usually on here advising folks to remain calm, let it go, pick your battles wisely, etc.

I can't find any fault with anything you said, did, or went about doing it. I can't say that I would have handled it any differently.

Sucks to lose a bank, but some things are more important.

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dok Holliday said:
lockespop said:
I'd hate to be the cause of anyone losing their job in this economy, but she is miserable and there is someone else out there who is in dire need of the job that she apparently hates doing.

You are an honest, decent, and truthful human being. I am honored to partake in this hobby with you.
amen

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I recently had a teller treat me that way after my daughter asked a simple little question.

I am fed up with how some tellers treat people.

I think you did the right thing...but pulling your entire accounts because of one rude teller?

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guy's sure have a lot of horror stories about bank tellers. 99% of the tellers around here very nice and eager to please. The only time I get ticked at the bank is when I'm having a bad day and they try to upsell me on something.

Anyway, that was a great thing you did. I would have done the same.

ryaan21

Apr 17, 2007
Gladstone, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 Garrett GTAx 550, Teknetics Delta 4000, Teknetics T2, Teknetics Omega 8000, Garrett AT Pro, Whites Coinmaster GT, Fisher CZ70 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work. I work in the service industry and try to be polite at all times.

However, if a customer comes in and starts being rude I will be rude back. I used to shut my mouth and take it until I got tired of being the emotional tampon for the mentally ill. Customers have no reason to be rude other than mental illness. If you come in and act like a prick on purpose, expect the same treatment.

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe she was just having a bad day, who knows?

That being said, its no excuse to be that rude to a customer when it is that customer who is making the bank money. People in the service industry should understand that they are there for the customer and without the customers, they don't have a job. Even though we probably annoy some of the crankier tellers, many are very happy to indulge our addiction.

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
Yup. Sounds like she was having a bad day and wanted to share the misery. A lot of ppl act that way - recklessly lashing out from internal frustration.

One would hope that the lessen she learned that day was to next time sulk in the background when her mood waxes.

hokiemojo

Jan 26, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Not to make excuses for rude behavior, but i have to admit this question throws all the tellers i talk to for a loop. imagine walking into a restaurant and when the waiter comes up, you tell him to just throw some piles of food on a plate. Not anything particular, but just what no one else wants. that's really what we are doing. tellers expect customers to have a specific need. When we don't explain those needs, it can certainly confuse them. I've noticed that i have better luck the second time i go to a branch teller because the concept has had time to sink in. i have to admit, i even feel strange asking the question each time. lol.

OP
OP
lockespop

lockespop

Nov 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can relate to someone having a bad day, it happens. I understand the fact that she may not have understood, and I stayed patient through that point, I calmly explained that I would take any denomination of coin that she had available, there are only so many denominations of coin. I would say this equates more to walking into a restaurant and asking for chicken, any kind of chicken, I don't care what you put on the plate as long as it is chicken, all with a smile on your face to show that this isn't some kind of test or battle of wills, just an honest request to take any kind of chicken that restaurant has available. =) I never really lost my patience until she fully understood what I was looking for, but let out her long painful "why me" sigh - at that point I gave her just a little bit of attitude, but I was on my way out the door, leaving without closing my accounts or writing the bank off from future business. It's funny how one word can have such an affect - "Whatever" - Oh, I got your "whatever" right here lady. I hope it felt good to get the last word in...

huricanesrul

Jan 1, 2012
PA
Detector(s) used
explorer xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
good for you ! ! ! ! !any denomination means" any "coins . most tellers are thrilled to not have to count or carry the coin to the vault at the end of the day .

madwest

Jun 24, 2011
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
Other
lockespop said:
I can relate to someone having a bad day, it happens. I understand the fact that she may not have understood, and I stayed patient through that point, I calmly explained that I would take any denomination of coin that she had available, there are only so many denominations of coin. I would say this equates more to walking into a restaurant and asking for chicken, any kind of chicken, I don't care what you put on the plate as long as it is chicken, all with a smile on your face to show that this isn't some kind of test or battle of wills, just an honest request to take any kind of chicken that restaurant has available. =) I never really lost my patience until she fully understood what I was looking for, but let out her long painful "why me" sigh - at that point I gave her just a little bit of attitude, but I was on my way out the door, leaving without closing my accounts or writing the bank off from future business. It's funny how one word can have such an affect - "Whatever" - Oh, I got your "whatever" right here lady. I hope it felt good to get the last word in...

I agree that your request was not out of line. I think the only thing you might want to add to this type of request in the future is to say that you would like up to $2000 (or whatever your swing budget is) of coin in any combination of cents through half dollars. That way, they won't try to unload president or SBA dollars on you and will know that you are serious about how much you intend to buy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions