Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal, Safari, Garrett infinium, Whites prizm 4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it was odd my dump bank was calling last Thursday. As I answered I hoped for the best. I hoped they were calling to tell me they got some incredible coins I should come look at.
The head teller was calling to inform me that regionally they would not be accepting loose bagged coins anymore. She laid out that they can only accept small amounts of rolled coins she can count. She clarified and committed to $50 at a time. Basically, "we can still be friends". She even double checked with the higher ups and was calling to tell me if I had any coins to bring them in and she could sneak one last dump in.
I am sad. Its been a good run. They are right out the front door of my office. We lasted over a year together and did $500 a week. I started with them as a pickup bank but after getting back to back pre searched boxes on the first two runs we switched to a dump bank. They were always nice and pleasant and fast with no lines. One of the best relationships I ever had.
Meanwhile my pickup bank has dried up to such an extent I am thinking I will try and step down my volume which as you fellow addicts know is really tough. The other option is go to the CU with a counter but the few times I've been in the attitude sucked. I went in to see about setting up an account and inquire if they ever get rolled coins I could buy or if they ever sold bags and they were just plain rude. That's not how I want to start our relationship. Sorry I just needed to mourn. Well, good luck and happy hunting.

Upvote 0

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make your pick up your dump and your dump your pick up. Two boxes isn't nearly enough to decide if they're no good. You said two searched boxes. Were they boxed customer rolls?

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I only dump coins at B of A, but I use many locations. Dumping $500 a week at one bank for a year would annoy most banks. The key is to keep a low profile and spread out your dumps.

OP
OP
T

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Enamel7, I can get the "cubes" at many different banks. I prefer to get them unopened. These were opened searched and folded over MWRs. So basically I was down stream from a dump bank and the courier was just saving the effort of getting me some fresh coins to look at. We all get the occasional pre searched box but to start with two, two weeks in a row wasn't going to work for me.
FreebirdTim, The head teller is super cool and I clarified what I was trying to do and asked her what volume she could handle. She was cool with $500 but not more and not less. I prefer to line up a consistent dump bank so I don't go fouling up other people's (and possibly my own) pickup banks with dumps that will have to get cleared later.

OP
OP
T

Tommybuckets

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2015
Bodymore, Metalland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argentium, do you open your boxes in the bank? What would you do if they were searched? Just leave the order there? I didn't know the first box was searched until I got out to the car and cut the tape and looked in. The opened side was underneath so it even looked ok until I took out a roll. The next box I opened inside and showed them how it wasn't factory sealed but once I handed over that money and got the box I felt obligated to take it and dump it elsewhere. I explained that things weren't working out and that if possible I would bring them coins since the coins they had gotten me had already been opened and gone through. It worked well for a while. On top the next thing.

enamel7

Gold Member
Apr 16, 2005
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Argentium, do you open your boxes in the bank? What would you do if they were searched? Just leave the order there? I didn't know the first box was searched until I got out to the car and cut the tape and looked in. The opened side was underneath so it even looked ok until I took out a roll. The next box I opened inside and showed them how it wasn't factory sealed but once I handed over that money and got the box I felt obligated to take it and dump it elsewhere. I explained that things weren't working out and that if possible I would bring them coins since the coins they had gotten me had already been opened and gone through. It worked well for a while. On top the next thing.

You did search them didn't you?

Dannycoco

Jun 2, 2016
New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey you never know. I've gotten a Franklin ender and a few other silvers from someone's dump bank.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011

I've gotten searched boxes before. At one large bank, after getting them one week, the next week I told the teller about it (hinting that some rolls were short) and opened the boxes there. Sure enough, they were rerolled. I respectfully declined the boxes, and the following week they had unsearched boxes for me.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread