Dumping Canadian Coin

Wickaboag

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2012
New England
Primary Interest:
Other
I usually get canadian dimes and nickels. I just do a few rolls, and slide a couple in a roll. :P I accumulate a huge stack of them after a couple of boxes.

Easy

Banned
Jul 9, 2012
Freakmont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ask your bank. I know Wells Fargo buys and sells foreign currency.

PhattyB

Apr 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just throw them really hard thru the magnet in my dump machine.

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Good luck dumping it in the US. Every coin counter has a magnet and unless they are silver dimes they are magnetic and won't go through the machine. Rolling them and dropping them off is a good way to lose your rolling privileges from that bank. Your best bet is to use it in change when you go to McDonalds and the like.

canaboy123

Sep 22, 2011
N/A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Scrapyard for the copper pennies and .999 nickels steel coins I just throw away.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the canadian dime has a sailboat on it, so i thought it would be funny to say that you were in the same "boat" :laughing9:
i average 1 canadian per box i just keep them since the magnet of the coin machine will take them before the coin count be counted, plus the coin machine has 2 different magnets, so the odds of the coin being counted are slim to none because most modern canadian coins(dimes and quarters) made after 1968 are magnetic.
Sorry, in the same boot.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As others have already said, spend them. Keep some in your car and include a couple when you make a purchase, mixed with US coin. Roll up some dimes, mostly US with 2 or 3 Canadian mixed in the roll and use the roll to make a purchase. Do this regularly so you don't let the Canadian build up too much. I have one bank in my town that will buy and sell Canadian but they sell at a premium (106%) and buy at a discount(94%). 94 cents US for $1.00 of Canadian would probably work for most people. But the way our currency is trending I think soon the Canadian dollar will be worth more then a US dollar and at some point I'll be able to cash in Canadian for a small profit.
Merc

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put em up on eBay. They'll sell. It's not funny money there.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
what i've found worked quite well, in small quantities, is to put them into a soda/candy machine and hit the coin reject button, you usually get american coins back and the chance for silver... but a lot of the times you look like a fool and are stared at by somebody walking by or wanting to use the machine :laughing7:

and if the vending machine does not give you back your money, at least you can buy something...
note: not all vending machines accept canadian coins, some are very sensitive, some aren't.

mercury1

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2012
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Silvercrazy said:
Just put them in the machine, most of them will take them. I keep all pre 81 though. Good Luck.

Pre 82 nickels are .999 nickel and worth keeping due to the nickels large size relative to denomination. Doesn't work for dimes and quarters. Only keep them if silver. Most machines in my area won't take them with the exception of 1982 and later nickels, up to when they switched to steel. These nickels are same composition as US nickels.

Silver89

Greenie
Apr 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I would quickly chime in here, I am not particularly sure about other areas but the Chases here in NYC have passed a policy for us tellers to take Canadian Change at face value as an extra service for our customers. Now I'm not sure if its a nationwide thing or just here, but its worth a shot if you guys have an account.

kfs

Jul 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thought I would quickly chime in here, I am not particularly sure about other areas but the Chases here in NYC have passed a policy for us tellers to take Canadian Change at face value as an extra service for our customers. Now I'm not sure if its a nationwide thing or just here, but its worth a shot if you guys have an account.

Chase branches in New York may not be on par with lets say, Little Rock AR. New York being a boarder state and New York City being a major international commerce center could result in very well have different policies. I will ask though at my local branch and see what they say today. My experience has been that bank do not accept coin, as part of a currency exchange. I think it is probably an issue of weight.

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Try your local bank. Some banks will exchange foreign currency for the daily exchange rate. You might lose a little bit off the face value, but you will then get some coins that you can use. Hope it helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions