Dumping coins

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Folks- Greed will be the death of this hobby, but some kind gestures can go a LONG way!

It does not matter how you dump. If its rolled, coin machines, handfuls at a time.... Talk to the vault teller or manager and see what they are comfortable with.

Do not over burden them. Ask how much they can handle in the machine, how often. Ask what days may be better for them(days they have more staff, closer to the delivery/pickup day). There are many considerate things we can do to make this more convenient for the bank and more convenient to us.

I will give you all a prime example. I asked many of the same questions I just listed at a local TD bank. I told the manager I could come in less often if I could dump a larger volume. He told me I could come in on Thursdays and when he sees me coming in the door, he will adjust the bag limit to be greater. He adjusts the bag limit up to 1000 for the halves when I walk in the door. I can dump 3000 in halves as fast as the normal customer can dump 400-500(because of the 5 bag changes to my only needing 3).

Use some courtesy and we will ALL have this hobby in the future AND you will probably be rewarded for the efforts!
N8

Upvote 0

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I talk to them to they keep telling me they don't mind. I have 2 banks that do hi numbers for me. Just to nite i call ahead he said bring it on. $5200 Thats a lot. Am looking at $6000 more in my room .And 12 more boxes tomorrow. Looks like it might be a 57 box week. Am going to start pulling back. in a few weeks :whip2: :tard: :laughing9:

OP
OP
n8dagr8345

n8dagr8345

Oct 25, 2011
Rubber room
Primary Interest:
Other
Maybe your banks do not mind, but often times I find they will not tell you to your face. If you approach it BEFORE you dump, it seems to get an honest answer, especially if you do more than ask 'how much can I dump'

TimZim

Bronze Member
Aug 3, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most of the time i have a few thow... And just bring in $1000 They tell me bring it in i feel funny about it. I thank them they are just very nice. There are a few that never are happy. I try to use them less. But i do use them all. Thats what its there for. Thanks N8 your allways a good help Thanks again :thumbsup: :icon_sunny: :headbang:

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ahh...I did the same thing the last 2 times in one of the local branches. I asked them are they sure Im not over staying my welcome. She said no way...bring them in. I told her about the other branch of this particular bank down the road was starting to give me looks.

She told me they should be more than happy to take them, for their safe is huge compaired to the one Im dumping at. She said if I really needed 6 boxes taken, she would, but she really would like only 4. I couldnt thank her enough.

I think her and the other teller get a kick out of me bringing these in. Funny thing is, they want them rolled. Then before they send them out....they dump them in a coin bag. Strange...but thats how its done. Maybe next time I will help them dump them into the bag. Could help the relationship. 8)

So to help the not so friendly branch out, I asked what the problem was with halves. One teller said they have to keep so much before they can sell them back. I told her it was a 1000.00 and she agreed. I asked how much they needed before they could dump the ones in the safe. She informed me that she only needed 150.00 to make a 1000.00. The next day I dropped off 150.00 in halves to get them out of the safe.

The one teller thats been giving me looks, was happy when I told her what I had done. She said there isnt anything stopping me dropping off coin. I asked if 2 was ok. She wasnt over joyed, but she said thats fine.

I have 2 other drop off points and 3 more branches if I need to find someplace else. But...be nice to your dump banks.

Coinsandfootball

Feb 6, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N8 I agree with you 100% if not CRH will get worse (not fun anymore) for us and the dump banks because of the volume. Just today some idiot dumped over 1k of halves into the coin counter in which it got the branch manager over and said no more dumping halves on volumes over $100 here and I am right behind him (i just walked in few minutes before waiting to dump my $500). She allowed me and said no more dumping my halves here anymore as well. I was polite and thank her for allowing me to dump my $500 halves. My point is the branch manager talks to the regional manager who could stop dumping halves all together (in volume) which would stink! A buddy who also is a CRH was told that his $500 broke the coin counter machine because it can't handle that many halves (not true it can but something happen and it cost the bank $700 to fix it he told him) he also was polite and was told not to come back with high volumes of halves.

Tim - 57 boxes next week that is not a hobby that is a full time job. Don't ruin it for other CRH when dumping like N8 said they may say it is fine but the time is going to come when they will cut you off and make it harder for the other CRH that do low volume and for fun NOT A JOB! :BangHead: :BangHead:

Sorry my 2 cents.............

jarlbartar

Jan 3, 2012
Wisconsin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And whatever you do, be nice and do not leave your CoinLok bags in the mini trash can! At one of my dump banks there is a customer operated counter with a mini bathroom sized garbage can, mostly for paper and little baggies that people bring their change in. Every time I go there, it is packed with CoinLok bags. Maybe I am being too protective of this hobby, but that right there is putting up a red flag to the general public, and the tellers are going to have to empty that out, possibly many times a day.

I know it is the teller's job and the bank's job to serve the customer, but they don't have to give us our boxes and coin bags! Let's all do our part to keep things good with our banks!

F

Farchaus2k

$23,000 in halves a week is just plain ridiculous, if you ask me. Even if you had 23 separate dump banks, you're asking them to take in $1,000 a week EACH. How long do you think that will last? And out of that $23,000 you still won't find enough silver to pay for the eventual hernia operation.

N8, I couldn't agree with you more. The more people abuse the banks with their careless actions, the less helpful they will be to the rest of us in the future.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread