Dumping Pennies

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I just transitioned to cents since halves have all dried up here. Does everyone here dump Zincolns back to the bank or you try to spend them? I try to spend rolled up pennies as much as I can just like when I did halves but people hate pennies. $25 in cents is hard to get rid of in one place. Anyone know of a good way to get rid of them other than returning them to the bank? I never like dumping coins back to the bank and having to receive them again when I order.

Upvote 0

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Someone said that they pick up the coins from one bank, and take them back to another bank, but you would probably need accounts there. Some banks like the coins to be rolled, others want to count them themselves. It would be easier if the coins were taken to a bank that didnt need or want them rolled, its just a lot of work. I have taken MDing coins to the store, but I dont like paying for the privilege. Im not really into CRH yet, it sounds interesting, but afraid I might get bored quickly. I guess its a hobby like MDing, but I would like it to at least make a bit of money, since visiting banks every day, is just not my idea of a hobby. Also, seems that a lot of people dont consider the cost of driving to the bank. I will have to try it, when Im back in the states.

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I pour a bag of pennies into a coin counter at a bank. I'm usually dumping $25 at a time and the 3% fee doesn't bother me. It's worth it for the looking through them and the not having to reroll them.

conpewter

Aug 17, 2010
Illinois
I return coins to the bank that has a coin counter. I get coins from other banks (not branches) so I'm less likely to get my dumps back so soon. I don't worry too much with cents since the circulating population is so much bigger than with halves.

kestrelia

May 9, 2007
Just dump them at some bank, the chance that you'll get the same pennies back in a box is extremely remote considering that compared to halves far more pennies circulate.

BTW I was just in your area on a business trip searching a bizillion pennies (~60,000) and was able to dump large amounts of them at two Bank of Americas simply by asking for coin deposit bags and pouring them in. No waiting at the coin counter and no rerolling ... what could be better? The only downside is that you have to wait a few days for your account to be credited with the amount (after the armored car company takes them away and counts them). No fees were charged.

Good luck. IMHO San Fransisco is great area to be searching pennies, there's a great proportion of D/S mint cents there.

-Brian

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are some funny stories over on real cent about mega ryedale users getting rid of their zinclons. I think they were even having a contest to see who could get rid of the most at one time. If I remember correctly the winner was an admin over there that used 2 boxes ($50) to pay for gas. The kicker was that he paid for it up front. I would love to see that go down.

I just handsort about $50 a week and either include mine in my halves when I dump (if i find some silver and its less than 1k) or take them to a bank that has complained about me dumping high volume there in the past. They don't see to get too riled up over cents. Their machine has 2 - $50 bags and doesn't seem to fill up too often. Now dumping $1k in halves there is a different matter.

OP
OP
SFBayArea

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
kestrelia said:
Just dump them at some bank, the chance that you'll get the same pennies back in a box is extremely remote considering that compared to halves far more pennies circulate.

BTW I was just in your area on a business trip searching a bizillion pennies (~60,000) and was able to dump large amounts of them at two Bank of Americas simply by asking for coin deposit bags and pouring them in. No waiting at the coin counter and no rerolling ... what could be better? The only downside is that you have to wait a few days for your account to be credited with the amount (after the armored car company takes them away and counts them). No fees were charged.

Good luck. IMHO San Fransisco is great area to be searching pennies, there's a great proportion of D/S mint cents there.

-Brian

wow.. 60,000 is a lot of cents.. how do you search that many? I can only hand sort about 3 boxes max a week. On a business trip, are you lugging back lots of pennies on your flight?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions