Dunbar 4015 - A series that will live in infamy!

midntmn

Dec 15, 2011
one of the 13 colonies
Primary Interest:
Other
This may just be happening in the DC area, but for the past several months almost all the half dollar boxes supplied by Dunbar have been coded 4015 - and almost all of those have been as barren as the desert in December. If you find 1 silver in a box, it is a rarity. If you find 2 or 3 you have to pinch yourself - because you must be dreaming. Dunbar in this area supplies many of the regional banks such as Burke & Herbert, M&T, Virginia Commerce, Capitol One. There are probably others, but these are the banks I get orders from. Every box for the last 2 months have been stamped with the series number 4015. Several months ago, boxes ordered from the same banks were stamped with a variety of Series codes and frequently were productive. It seems those days are gone forever.

You might be thinking, "Why don't you just order from banks that don't use Dunbar." Well... not so fast Bucko... BofA and PNC use a different service - and the results are identical. In the words of one of our illustrious past members, it may "still be out there" - but it sure is hiding extremely well. It's enough to make a grown man turn to dimes!

Upvote 0

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hurting from back boxes for a few weeks, took a break. My first box back, 11 40%ers! seems like that' always the way it works

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Aha! I searched the site for "4015" and nothing turned up so I started a new thread. Then when I searched with Google I was brought back to the site, to this thread.

Original post here was in May 2012. Just last week I got a 4015 box in DC and it was a skunk. Box came from Citi. I will try several more boxes and see if 4015 comes up again.

I don't know if Citi uses Dunbar, but looks like they may.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i don't know if i should be glad that my boxes DON'T have codes on them or not... my boxes never had a code on them but never produced, i am averaging way less than 1 keeper per box.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Picked up a box yesterday that was stamped with the 4015 code. The last box from the same branch did not have the code and produced one 90% half. This box, like my last 4015 box, was a skunk. I did pull a couple NIFCs that I needed for my album and a 1976 s clad proof, but no silver.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just picked up another box, this time from a different bank that I have not used before. Whaddaya know, another 4015 box just like my previous skunk boxes. Looks like Dunbar strikes again. Will post results later.

Local_coins

Nov 24, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rushfan said:
The skunk code on my boxes seems to be "$500 HALF DOLLARS"...

Hahahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, the 4015 curse may be broken. Still going through the box, but 2 40% so far (plus an 87 clad proof, a NIFC and some coins I was missing in my album). Not a dream box so far, but not an official skunk either.

CC-Hunter

Bronze Member
Sep 18, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Skunk streak officially broken. Total of 4 40%, plus two clad proofs and a NIFC. Not a dream box, of course, but not a disaster.

Like recent boxes this one had a lot of marked coins; the 40% halves could have been searched and missed since the rims are not all that different from the clad.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread