Dunfeild... What did he find?

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For the sake of discussion…

I was thinking … With Dunfeild

Dunfeild never found the flood tunnels when he dug his big hole. But there may be two possible explanations for that.

1) When Dunfeild bulldozed the beach he did close the flood tunnel entrance. However earlier drilling had created a hole to the water source that comes from in the caverns in the bedrock. This water had now mixed with the flood tunnel water in the old mine shafts. When Dunfeild dug into an old shaft ie Chappels shaft this is what flooded his hole.
2) Dunfeild gave up and left OI very quickly when his hole flooded. Maybe he actually found the treasure and flooded the hole himself as a way to justify giving up and not having to share his treasure with his investors…

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Didn't Dunfield pretty much ruin the whole island? He bulldozed the beach and left no trace of what was there before. No clues left to follow. Lee Lamb could barley recognize the area. None of the rocks that were markers or trees to help out. At the MP he blew a crater so big it is hard to align any items to get a feel for where the actual spots are/were. Can barley recognize the area from old pics to when he was there to what we see today.

Interesting how you bring up the "take the booty and flood the hole" idea. Interesting. How well off was Dunfield? Was his bank account bigger years after leaving OI? That could be the smoking gun.

Shirley you don't think he took the money and run? Mybe I do and stop calling me Shirley!!!

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting how you bring up the "take the booty and flood the hole" idea. Interesting. How well off was Dunfield? Was his bank account bigger years after leaving OI? That could be the smoking gun.
He would not be the first treasure finder to run off with the loot and tell his investors he found nothing....

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He would not be the first treasure finder to run off with the loot and tell his investors he found nothing....

So we could probably classify most Treasure Hunters in Three Categories?

1 - The hunters who are in it more for the adventure, discovery and history.
2 - The hunters who are in it to make money by selling "pipe dreams" and ripping off investors.
3 - The hunter who would like to make money and provide history or new facts about known cultures/mysteries.

Did I miss any?
How would you classify Dunfield?
How about Dan D?
Fred N?
The Lag bros?

Last edited:

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunfield- ( 2 )- though I think he paid for a lot of his project himself.
Dan Blankenship-( 3 ) to start with but now think he is a ( 1 ) he'd like to prove to everyone he was right more then anything else
Fred Nolan- same as Dan B. started off as a ( 3 ) and turned into a ( 1 )
Lagina Bros- cross between a (1 & 3 ) they already have money but who wouldn't like more and would love to be the ones to atleast figure something out about OI even if they don't find treasure...

Real of Tayopa

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2016
Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gave Dan Blakenship, etc, all that they basically need in my posts in here, tis up to them. - I wonder if I am even in the ball park:tongue3: Be a hoot and nny If I was even close.:laughing7::laughing7: :coffee2::coffee2::coffee2::coffee2: coffee gentlemen ?

Last edited:

Mike Mercury

Dec 14, 2015
southwest Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stretch Da Truth said:
1 - The honest hunters who are in it more for the adventure, discovery and history.
2 - The shady hunters who are in it for the money. Be it actual treasure or ripping off investors, witch ever fills their pockets faster.
3 - The hunter who would like to make money and provide history or new facts about known cultures/mysteries.

Dude, you almost sound anti-capitalist.

it's takes a businessman-type-mentality to be successful in the long run. There is nothing wrong in doing it "for the money"... as long as it's genuine.

Leave the "history" and "cultures" to National Geographic magazine and Museums... for their assessments after it's been found.

Last edited:

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dude, you almost sound anti-capitalist.

it's takes a businessman-type-mentality to be successful in the long run. There is nothing wrong in doing it "for the money"... as long as it's genuine.

Leave the "history" and "cultures" to National Geographic magazine and Museums... for their assessments after it's been found.

Dude, what are you talking about? I have owned and operated businesses. I know what it takes.
I was asking a question to see where people think some hunters heads/hearts are at. Some do it for the money, some for the fame, some for history and some for all or part of the above.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
it's right there in plain text:

there's nothing "shady" about doing it for a living/money. Did you not realize how that statement sounded when read?

I get ya. I didn't mean it like that. We were talking about ripping people off... that's what I meant. I will go fix it.
Sorry for the mix up. Heck, I would love to be able to make a living off doing stuff like this.

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Unfortunately the people who were there "for the money", and used bulldozers and dynamite to get at the money have pretty much destroyed any "historical" or "cultural" artifacts that may have been there. Doesn't seem to have been successful by any measure.

Raparee

Feb 18, 2016
Nova Scotia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Raparee; we're in the 21st century.

Citing examples of early 20th century treasure hunting methods is moot.

Treasure hunting is treasure hunting. The ultimate motivation is profit. While bulldozing and dynamite may be extreme examples (today, anyway), the simple act of removing saleable artifacts from a site does irreparable damage to understanding the site as a piece of history. Context is everything. Look at what Odyssey Marine Exploration did in 2007 with the Mercedes.

OP
OP
gazzahk

gazzahk

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So does anyone know what happened to Dunfeild once he left OI? Did he become rich?

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunfield massively dug up the entire island and proved nothing was ever there. He then cut his losses and left.

Robot

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
You of All People...Generally Demand Proof and Evidence!

Dunfield massively dug up the entire island and proved nothing was ever there. He then cut his losses and left.

What "Proof" do you have that Dunfield did all he said he did?

Or

Are you Blatantly taking him at his Word?

Singlestack Wonder

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2014
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What "Proof" do you have that Dunfield did all he said he did?

Or

Are you Blatantly taking him at his Word?

Some folks just don't get it.....no matter how much 100% of the island has been dug to depths far exceeding imaginary treasure depth as well as the entire smith's cove beach area being dug to very deep depths yet no proof of flood tunnels ever being found...they still believe in fantasies. The originators of the hoax must be rolling in their graves laughing about how their joke continues to dupe folks still today.

Stretch Da Truth

Bronze Member
Jan 13, 2017
Detector(s) used
XP DĂ©us & a Carrot!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But what about what gazzahk had posted on post 1: "Dunfeild gave up and left OI very quickly when his hole flooded. Maybe he actually found the treasure and flooded the hole himself as a way to justify giving up and not having to share his treasure with his investors… "

This is an interesting idea. Any possibilities? Must have been something in that 100 x 130 hole that he took home and hid in his house to NOT share with the world. If all the previous searchers did this then that would leave nothing left for the Lag boys. Maybe they will uncover evidence of the coverups and solve the mystery finally.

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone check to see what happened to Dunfield? He go on to something else or just fade off?

n2mini

Jan 7, 2015
Triad NC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dunfield thought it was going to be quick and easy once he built the casue way to get his big piece of machinery over there. He did leave out of frustration after his big hole filled with water. No way of knowing for sure if he found anything or not of course. I'd think atleast a couple other people would have known about it though but apparently they took any secrets they had and have kept quite..

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions