Duper or Super? The Real Saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
In the 1930's, William Freidman, husband of Elizabeth Smith Friedman traveled to Lynchberg and met with James Beverly Ward's daughter, Adeline Ward McVeigh, Granddaughter, Lelia L Walker, and Great Grandson, Gorham B Walker.
Adeline, who was born in 1885, the year of the Beale Papers publication informed Friedman that her father was the job pamphlet's author. When asked if she had ever seen the iron strongbox that Morriss gave to her father, she replied no. The Walkers only provided lore passed down through the family.
William Friedman concluded the ciphers were a, "diabolical ingenuity, specifically designed to lure the unwary reader".

LOL! LOVE IT! GREAT info, ECS!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
In the 1930's, William Freidman, husband of Elizabeth Smith Friedman traveled to Lynchberg and met with James Beverly Ward's daughter, Adeline Ward McVeigh, Granddaughter, Lelia L Walker, and Great Grandson, Gorham B Walker.
Adeline, who was born in 1885, the year of the Beale Papers publication informed Friedman that her father was the job pamphlet's author. When asked if she had ever seen the iron strongbox that Morriss gave to her father, she replied no. The Walkers only provided lore passed down through the family.
William Friedman concluded the ciphers were a, "diabolical ingenuity, specifically designed to lure the unwary reader".

I give you a "Like" on this!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
SO! As CSA PAYMASTER, Maj. F. C. Hutter was "in charge" of the "Richmond Stores" (Bank of Virginia?) & the VIRGINIA portion the CSA Treasury; locating it in Lynchburg, Va. & "points WEST" from Richmond, Va. PROBABLY had a list of ppl "In-The-Know" of it in 1865, & TWENTY years later... was the Beale PAPERS, in 1885... BUT! FCH died of a heart attack... and there was PANIC! Gotta shake the "bushes" & FAMILY TREE to find out if the SECRET is "at risk". FACT: The National Bank of Virginia in Lynchburg, Va. was established in 1865... HA! When FCH was still alive & working for Capt. Rives in the City of Lyncburg, Va. Internal Revenue Dept./Service, he would have known of SUDDEN WEALTH, if someone DID find it. NO Discovery & Recovery was indicated...

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I have been unable to find where Attoreny H.M. Gibbs office was located or any of his descendants. I wonder if that book was in English or French?

Reviewing my copy of Sketchbook of Lynchburg: A Story as Told in 1887, Attorney Gibbs is not mentioned; will have to go to do R & I in Jones Memorial Library; GOOD info & sketches in the book, tho. Lynchburg, Va. 1887!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
SO! As CSA PAYMASTER, Maj. F. C. Hutter was "in charge" of the "Richmond Stores" (Bank of Virginia?) & the VIRGINIA portion the CSA Treasury; locating it in Lynchburg, Va. & "points WEST" from Richmond, Va. PROBABLY had a list of ppl "In-The-Know" of it in 1865, & TWENTY years later... was the Beale PAPERS, in 1885... BUT! FCH died of a heart attack... and there was PANIC! Gotta shake the "bushes" & FAMILY TREE to find out if the SECRET is "at risk". FACT: The National Bank of Virginia in Lynchburg, Va. was established in 1865... HA! When FCH was still alive & working for Capt. Rives in the City of Lyncburg, Va. Internal Revenue Dept./Service, he would have known of SUDDEN WEALTH, if someone DID find it. NO Discovery & Recovery was indicated...

SO! The FAMILY TREE was The Hutter Family... "papers in the RAGLAND family possession"; YES, the RAGLAND family is in the HUTTER family; MORE, later!

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
I ALSO wondered if VLoN was in ORIGINAL French... or English; it came from Judah Benjamin (Head of CSA SECRET SERVICE) and ECS may know MORE about it...
Judah P Benjamin's Vattel's was an English translation by London barrister, Joseph Chitty, that was published by T & W JOHNSON LAW BOOKSELLERS, Philadelphia in 1853.
On the title page, Benjamin had written, "CONFEDERATE STATES, DEPARTMENT OF STATE".

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Judah P Benjamin's Vattel's was an English translation by London barrister, Joseph Chitty, that was published by T & W JOHNSON LAW BOOKSELLERS, Philadelphia in 1853.
On the title page, Benjamin had written, "CONFEDERATE STATES, DEPARTMENT OF STATE".

Will look for it! THANKS!

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I have been unable to find where Attoreny H.M. Gibbs office was located or any of his descendants. I wonder if that book was in English or French?

R & I: Maj. Edward Sixtus Hutter & family had a HUGE mansion on Daniei Hill (D Street) after the CONFEDERATE WAR; I can surmise his son-in-law, Attorney H. M. Gibbs having a home & office "up there". Lynchburg, Va. Historical Society has their office "up there", and I can check it out. West on Rivermount Bridge (engineered by E. S. Hutter); from Old City Cemetery on 5th Street; left onto Rivermount Bridge going WEST; FIRST right onto D Street Bridge, & turn left at LHS
HH! Good Luck!

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If this story has any measure of truth then I think you fellas are allowing yourselves to get sidetracked. In the pamphlet your author is telling his readers that he hopes their attention will be draw upon, "an unintelligible missing paper." He already has the ciphers and a copy of the DOI.

"Unintelligible" would not be an understandable text of any kind, so no book or document, etc. And this is in his own words, not mine.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
.... In the pamphlet your author is telling his readers that he hopes their attention will be draw upon, "an unintelligible missing paper." He already has the ciphers and a copy of the DOI.

"Unintelligible" would not be an understandable text of any kind, so no book or document, etc. And this is in his own words, not mine.
Adeline Ward McVeigh revealed to codebreaker William Friedman, that her father, James Beverly Ward, WAS the author of the BEALE PAPERS. Would he not, then, be the creator of the ciphers?
Could it be that the "unintelligible missing paper" is just a list of random words that were numbered to create C1 & C3 "specifically designed to lure the unwary reader"?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Adeline Ward McVeigh revealed to codebreaker William Friedman, that her father, James Beverly Ward, WAS the author of the BEALE PAPERS. Would he not, then, be the creator of the ciphers?
Could it be that the "unintelligible missing paper" is just a list of random words that were numbered to create C1 & C3 "specifically designed to lure the unwary reader"?

Regardless who wrote the ciphers it would seem likely that the author is describing a paper containing random words, or random words and numbers. But this is only if C1 & C3 actually contain clear text as they are presented, which is most unlikely.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
If this story has any measure of truth then I think you fellas are allowing yourselves to get sidetracked. In the pamphlet your author is telling his readers that he hopes their attention will be draw upon, "an unintelligible missing paper." He already has the ciphers and a copy of the DOI.

So...? Been into yer "Beale Pills", again...? "An unintelligible piece missing paper" COULD be a CSA CODE...

Last edited:
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a total of 20 four digit codes used in the three ciphers, 19 of those appear in only one cipher, that being C1. The only four digit code that is used outside of this one cipher is 1000, that appearing in C2 as a substitution for the letter "x" as there are no words in the DOI that begin with x. So why is there 19 four digit codes in C1?

It was common practice during the period, even in a civilian capacity, to apply the use of ciphers to personal correspondence, this requiring that both the writer and the receiver maintain an identical list of numbers and words on their presence so that they could decode these personal correspondences. I suspect this is what the author was describing when he referenced a missing unintelligible paper. This practice was also common during the Civil War as well as during the earlier period outlined in the pamphlet, even as far back as the Revolutionary War and beyond.

It would be difficult to portray the delight he experienced when accident revealed to him the explanation of the paper marked "2." Unmeaning, as this had hitherto been, it was now fully explained, and no difficulty was apprehended in mastering the others; but this accident, affording so much pleasure at the time, was a most unfortunate one for him, as it induced him to neglect family, friends, and all legitimate pursuits for what has proved, so far, the veriest illusion.

"If" C1 holds a clear text then I suspect your author is alluding to the missing paper that contains the list of these four digit codes and their meaning. This is how you could decode a cipher and still be faced with the variest illusion.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Regardless who wrote the ciphers it would seem likely that the author is describing a paper containing random words, or random words and numbers. But this is only if C1 & C3 actually contain clear text as they are presented, which is most unlikely.
James Beverly Ward held the copyright for the Beale Papers as "agent", not as author, as an act of indemnity. and included two disclaimers in the job pamphlet, keeping him blamelessly removed from disgruntled treasure hunters who neglected their affairs in search of a fabricated treasure story.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
James Beverly Ward held the copyright for the Beale Papers as "agent", not as author, as an act of indemnity. and included two disclaimers in the job pamphlet, keeping him blamelessly removed from disgruntled treasure hunters who neglected their affairs in search of a fabricated treasure story.

Could be. But you know how I feel about second hand, word of mouth information. So maybe Ward wrote it, maybe he didn't? I don't think it really matters in the big picture of things anyway. 100 years from now people will still be hunting for this supposed treasure and creating solutions to the 2 remaining ciphers, and there's reason why this will continue just as it always has.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

MAYBE... NEVER seen that info, before.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... NEVER seen that info, before...
William Friedman was introduced to Adeline Ward McVeigh, her daughter and grandson by Mrs Martha Rivers Adams(Nov 10,1882- June 28, 1959), who for 45 years was a reporter and feature writer for THE NEWS, a Lynchberg newspaper then owned by the Glass family. Adams had written articles on the Beale Papers previously to this meeting, and wrote an article on this encounter between Friedman and Mrs McVeigh

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
William Friedman was introduced to Adeline Ward McVeigh, her daughter and grandson by Mrs Martha Rivers Adams(Nov 10,1882- June 28, 1959), who for 45 years was a reporter and feature writer for THE NEWS, a Lynchberg newspaper then owned by the Glass family. Adams had written articles on the Beale Papers previously to this meeting, and wrote an article on this encounter between Friedman and Mrs McVeigh

Reckon we can find copies of those "articles on the Beale Papers" & "article on this encounter between Friedman & Mrs. McVeigh"...?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
SO! The FAMILY TREE was The Hutter Family... "papers in the RAGLAND family possession"; YES, the RAGLAND family is in the HUTTER family; MORE, later!

FOUND IT! From "Descendants of Johann Ludwig Hutter", # 93 - Lucy Boyd Hutter married THOMAS RUSH RAGLAND 4/3/1902; TRR was President of Ragland Coal Comp. in W. V. (1928). Children: Lucy Hutter Ragland, Thomas Rush Ragland, Edward Hutter Ragland, George Motley Morehead Ragland; 2 children died young at 15 & 4. PROBLEM is... ALL this is in West Virginia... AND! Maybe the "Papers in RAGLAND Family possessions"... DANG!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread