E-Mail back from Hal Anthony, from Behind the Woodshed

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Hey there.

Thanks for tuning in to the broadcast. I appreciate it.

The website is down right now due to a major server failure, I am told.
Very unfortunate timing as well.

There is a meeting every first Friday of the Month.
Tomorrow there is a meeting. We will have 2 meetings in one actually. The first part will be the SWO Mining Association meeting and then we'll have the Jefferson Mining District meeting.

We also have a meeting on the third Friday of the month now which is solely for the Mining District.

You all will be coming a long way when you do. Although I can't plan anything about it, there usually is a lot of info, we've been told it is worth the trip.

As the District gets its legs under us we're asking the Grantees/Miners to start learning about the mining law and the Coordination process. We asked last meeting that people begin studying 43 USC 1712. Being Coordination is federal a Coordination Plan can be written for all areas within the geographic area of the district, across state border. This is the tool we have chosen to reassert the mining law and miner's rights. When the Plan gets written any miner will be able to take it to their local agency to address plans or projects being implemented by the federal agencies that affect our claims. These meeting aren't the normal "public comments" meetings which are essentially useless to us. These are meetings that start 2 or three steps before the public meetings. So there is a substantial input that we gain as a mining district.

For more information on Coordination, search out Fred Kelly Grant on the internet and Coordination. Stewards of the Range also. Fred has a different site though, I don't remember now. . . Trademark I think.

As it is being discussed now, Miners will be able to form up into local "mining camps" approximating the current counties within which to work. Maybe even Federal Forest District would work. Existing groups or districts simply have to use the Jefferson Coordination Plan. Something no one is doing now. And this is where Jefferson is positioning itself, to be the instrument to get something accomplished, instead of the misery we've seen so far. So all it will take is miners working the Plan where they are, when necessary. Over all "management" of a district as large as Jefferson should be very simple. Over time I'm sure we'll see the benefit of our work.

There is still a lot of work to do yet to write the federal Coordination Plan and organize the District but things ought to come in due time. State Coordination plans may follow and a miner's court is in the works too. See if we can throw an administrative hearing requirement before the District into the mix to assure miners are being treated pursuant to the mining law before they have to go into the courts.

Just so you know the Southern border of the District includes Lodi but not Stockton and goes from the coast to the Cali border, then North into Nevada. That takes in Sac.

Thanks again for your interest and participation.
Bringing one more aspect of mining heritage back.

It's pretty exciting times, really.

~Hal.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
H

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Anybody want to go to a meeting in Pottsville OR?
It is about 7 miles north of Grants Pass OR.
PM me and we will get something going.

Hefty

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
id love to BUT flying in would cost me to much from where im at. ive always asked if meetings like this would be video taped so we could help inform others of this info,BUT............hllz bells id buy it if it were ava.!

OP
OP
H

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
:icon_thumleft: Good point
I will ask Hal that question.......if they want to get this moving faster it should be taped and spread across the country.

Thanks

OP
OP
H

Hefty1

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2010
Re: E-Mail back from Hal Anthony, from Behind the Woodshed-2nd reply

Yes, the SWOMA site Host has had a major server failure, apparently.
The webmaster informed the Association last night that if it isn't fixed by Monday another host provider will be sought.
Very unfortunately timed failure.

Completely understand about not making the journey north. And I didn't want to diffuse any enthusiasm and bodily support, but there isn't much to do yet until the District develops the Coordination Plan that you all could benefit more for the expense to get to a meeting.

Contributions to the Association can be sent to the Vice President Ron Gibson [email protected]. You can contact him to arrange for that. Any contributions to Ron are presented at the meetings and given to the treasurer as it has worked in the past.

Though a formal organization has not yet been agreed to, I suspect contributions to the Jefferson Mining District can go the same route.

A vote was taken last year about recording the meetings and it was decided for various reasons not to do that. Jefferson Mining District meetings will necessarily be even more strictly close.

That said, it was proposed last not to buy a video camera to tape presentations made during the meeting for education purposes. The mining Association's Board has been asked to do research for a quality camera for the purpose of information dessemination. In the meantime a miner has offered to donate a camera. We'll have to see what the format is and then integrate whatever hardware will be required to handle that.

Just for clarity, the Mining Association and Jefferson Mining District are distinct. The Association will continue to fulfill its education and out-reach functions, while the District will be tending to work to protect Miners and their livelihood through the law.

The phone numbers for the Association would be to the President of the Vice president. An email to Ron with the request should suffice.

There is a lot that can be done, whether or not the scope is quite understood. right now there are on ly a few of us doing the heavylifting, on top of our other demands. As we find out about the needs, we are tryng to integrate things in an efficient manner which fulfills those needs. Money and manpower is what is needed. Though to tell you the truth, I don't have any more time myself, that if I were paid, any money could add more time to to my day to get things done. So a balance has to be maintained. Frankly, money is important but without miners working the advance things money means nothing. And it seems capable participation goes a long way to eliminate the costs. Except for harware purchases we need capable people throwing-in to get things done or as we can integrate the help.

Thank you for the inquiry and offer.
They are much appreciated as we move this along.

~Hal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread