E-Trac multi-coil users...question about cable connection

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OK so I got myself a small coil and when I put it on the E-Trac I noticed that the connection for the cable, where it's inside the detector housing, is not a fixed, solid mount. There is significant play/movement in the piece that the cable screws onto. I don't know if it's mounted with some kind of ribbon cable to the circuit board or what. Maybe it was designed this way to accomodate any flex between the shaft and the housing while swinging the coil?

I'm sure that kind of connection has a name but I don't know what it's called.

Anyways I thought I'd ask everyone that has changed coils if this is how yours is also or if the connection inside my housing is a problem.

(I have to explain my lack of silver somehow... ;D)

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Lack of silver can't officially be blamed on that :D

Every etrac & my Explorer is like that

Just necessary due to the Position of the Plug

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Seems your lack of silver comes from lack of swing-time more than anything else. Well that and the nexus of lack of work and prohibitive weather. It's good to get work because it's easier to earn money than it is to find it IMNSHO.

Silver coming your way this morning about 5 hours from now. Weather and work permitting.

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your plug is A-OK Mayo....I was concerned the first time with it as well....but after changing coils a million times I understand the need for flexibility....So what coil did you get? size wise....I use an 8" alot and love it....I even pulled out the 5" yesterday in heavy iron and snapped up 3 coins that were masked from the 11",
one was a silver :headbang: so the small's definately have there uses..good for tired arms also.....Good luck Bud....

Soup

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that's normal....Another reason why I bought the sun-ray probe....makes switching coils a whole lot faster and easier, because you don't have to remove the upper shaft, just screw it in to the control box of the probe. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Mayo South Elgin

Mayo South Elgin

Feb 5, 2007
South Elgin IL
Detector(s) used
MineLab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys for assuring me my lack of silver was NOT due to faulty equipment.
I guess it's nice to know after countless years doing this, I still have "user error" ;D

Soupie - I got the 6 inch Excelerator coil.
I like how I can use it all day and not get the shoulder fatigue that I get from the stock coil.
And pinpointing is tons easier. I didn't find silver on my first day out with it, but I did on the third day!

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make sure you crank up the Sens abit....congrats on the new purchase....sore shoulders everywhere salute you :laughing7:

Lookn4Seated

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2008
Detector(s) used
Deep Silver Seeker 3000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my 5" coil can handle my running sensitivity at max without being unstable. can't beat the target separation on that thing.

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ditto on the 5" @ Max L4S......the 8" I usually run around 28 on the SE......Sorry for hijacking the post mayo...and congrats on finding that silver with the small's

Score one for the "little guys" :laughing7:

Soup

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread