Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't comment on the E-trac from an experience point of view, but I'm a long time Explorer user and won't gamble on buying an E-trac because I honestly can't imagine how it could be better. Depth is important, but what is just as important is a detector giving accurate sound ID at max. depth and the Explorer is by far the best I have ever seen. A detector that can find small buttons masked by iron, deep coins on edge, or 3 foot cannon balls, is a unit I will not walk away from! :thumbsup: To me a detector is just a tool but what my explorers have found me probably make it closer to an old friend. ;D

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
There's a fellow in our club who uses the E-Trac, and he consistently finds
the most coins, the most silver, and the deepest coins whenever we
have a group hunt.

E-Trac has a computer interface for tracking programs
and discrimination settings. You pay a lot for that, so
you have to consider whether you will really use that feature. :coffee2:

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any thing other than a mine lab there all hype "My detector told me it was silver" that is a hot one. L.O.L :thumbsup:

Born2Dtect

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2004
Hurlock, Maryland
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It depends on you. If you are a techie kind of guy go with the E-Trac. If you like your detectors simpler go with the Exp SE Pro. Both have a longer learning curve than other detectors but they are worth your time. They are different so choose well.

Ed D.

OldNBroken

May 13, 2010
North Idaho
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, XP Deus, ETrac w/ sunray X1, SDC 2300, XTerra 705, ProPointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
liftloop said:
Any thing other than a mine lab there all hype "My detector told me it was silver" that is a hot one. L.O.L :thumbsup:

I'm looking at the mountain of clad and containers of silver and silver and gold jewelry I've found with my MineLab in six months and all I can say is " Hype does pretty good" :headbang: :headbang:

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't know if the SE Pro is like the Etrac in this respect but if you want to hunt for gold nuggets the Etrac does not have manual ground balance and is not a gold nugget machine. It does well on jewelry as they have other metals in them besides gold.
Of course, Minelab makes a fine gold nugget machine that has a fine pricetag attached to it :laughing9:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Wouldn't it all depend on the type of area you are detecting :P does your search area regularly get ploughed :dontknow: I know a lot of guys in the UK who have Minelabs, Explorers, Etraq, Se pro's, I use a XP Goldmaxx Power, which is great on Ploughed land for Silver coins...but the Minelabs blow everything out of the water when it comes to depth :-\

I would guess that most of the places that are hunted in the US are not ploughed, so a Minelab would be what I would be using, apparently the Explorer11 is the best, even the guys here, who have used the E Traq, and Se pro say this.
But watch out for the XP Duec, fully remote, three hunting frequencies and massive depth, but at a huge cost :-\

SS

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On a battle of detectors test, one Explorer II with Pro coil did best, E-Trac second and the original Deus third (never seen a Dues version 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2 with massive depth by the way). A Nautilus was heading the field but suffered a connector breakage when the batteries were change. Joys of no battery check and PP3 batteries.

Before everyone rushes out to get a Explorer II the other one taking part, even when adjusted to the same settings and with the Pro coil fitted from the "winning" machine didn't come near for performance.

If buying a first Explorer then most would find the E-Trac easier to use.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U.K. Brian said:
On a battle of detectors test, one Explorer II with Pro coil did best, E-Trac second and the original Deus third (never seen a Dues version 1.0, 1.1 or 1.2 with massive depth by the way). A Nautilus was heading the field but suffered a connector breakage when the batteries were change. Joys of no battery check and PP3 batteries.

Before everyone rushes out to get a Explorer II the other one taking part, even when adjusted to the same settings and with the Pro coil fitted from the "winning" machine didn't come near for performance.

If buying a first Explorer then most would find the E-Trac easier to use.
Detecter Test :icon_scratch: was this a staged test, IE planted targets :dontknow: bit different from actuall field detecting, my comments were based on users, not staged target detecting. All point to Explorer11 being the best all round detector.

SS

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unstaged test. It was on a hillside surrounding a castle where no detecting had been allowed in the past. All natural finds where one would be detected but not dug. The other machines would then be tested on that target and the uses would give their opinion on whether the target was ferrous or non ferrous.

The interesting thing about most detectors is the relatively low depth at which I.D. shows non ferrous as ferrous. My oldest garden test bed is over 25 years old. Which is more accurate a target buried 25 years plus on untouched ground or an item thats in a field thats been ploughed every year ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread