E-Trac Problem

Wayne P

Mar 28, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Blisstool and Fisher F 75 SE
Wondering if anyone else has this issue. When using the E Trac the upper shaft pulls out of the handle assembly. The camlock is still closed but the shaft is flopping like a fish on dry land... I tried putting a piece of tape on the shaft where it engages with the camlock but it continues to work its way free.. Any ideas suggestions are appreciated

stasys

Jun 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer xs
Hello Wayne I dont have etrac but slipping shafts is old explorer story and construction on etrac the same, check for cracks in plastic if its no cracks, check lock with finger inside handle hole and look if its locks. if its ok, look shaft, deformed or not? after inspection if everything ok try one my suggestion...paint end of the shaft with some paint to make it a bit wider! once I painted my explorer shaft to make it dark with some thick paint and found that shaft got thicker! after it never slipped out. but its only my experience! ::) good luck Stasys

49r Relics

Jan 11, 2008
Gold Country (California)
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro, Makro Racer 2, Garrett Pro-Pointer, Detector Pro Grey Ghost headphones, Lesche diggers, Apex picks.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My ET shaft is so tight at this area, it takes a little force just to get it in place before locking the cam, so definitely not a common problem with the ET. On my old Explorer I used the plastic tool dip you can buy at the hardware store, dipped it in that, let it dry overnight and never had a problem again, in fact I loaned out the tool dip to another guy for his Explorer and he loaned it to another guy, lol. So that worked for us.

HH, Mark :icon_pirat:

unearthed

Nov 29, 2008
Yellow Tavern Virginia
Detector(s) used
Wilson R&C III, Minelab Safari, X-Terra 70, Xp Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you certain that the upper shaft is fully seated before engaging the cam lock? I've noticed that it takes a bit of effort to properly seat the upper shaft on my safari before the will work correctly.

HH
Unearthed

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
my etrac did that yesterday, I think I'm going to look into it a little closer

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Make sure the brass pin isn't out on one side of the camlock. But chances are you'll need a housing replacement. When you lock the camlock does it lock down, or seem to want to resist and come back? I had an explorer II that was like that, wouldn't lock. (This was why>>>) Make your it's not your cable bunching up and causing the resistance when you lock it. When you open the lower camlock will the lower shaft easily slide into the upper, or does it resist? When I had teh camlock issue the lower shaft was also very stubborn to slide.

nforest

Greenie
Oct 3, 2010
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Etrac, V3i, EX2, MXT
Wayne P said:
Wondering if anyone else has this issue. When using the E Trac the upper shaft pulls out of the handle assembly. The camlock is still closed but the shaft is flopping like a fish on dry land... I tried putting a piece of tape on the shaft where it engages with the camlock but it continues to work its way free.. Any ideas suggestions are appreciated

Try turning the mid shaft around and putting the opposite end up! On my Explorer 2 if you put the shaft upside down, its really loose.

stevefisher7767

Jun 6, 2009
Hampstead N.C.
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5,Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Minelab Excalibur II 800, Excal 1000 blue, Excal II 1000, Sovereign Elite.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wayne make sure it in the the shaft correct with both locks on the bottom :thumbsup:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
nforest said:
Wayne P said:

Try turning the mid shaft around and putting the opposite end up! On my Explorer 2 if you put the shaft upside down, its really loose.
Do you know how many people actually make that mistake?
Alot......That's probably it

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
nforest said:
Wayne P said:

We're not part of that group but both my explorer and Ironhorse's are starting to get the wobbles bad. You would think after so many years Minelab would come up with a better idea than this foolish camlock that never lasts. Who cares what it looks like, build something that lasts! I just got a new Sunray probe on Friday but might not put it on because the extra weight on the shaft will probably make the problem worse, and I don't like it mounted higher. If I sound bitter, I'm not really, unfortunately being a long time explorer user I'm used to this!

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Iron Patch said:
4-H said:
nforest said:
Wayne P said:

We're not part of that group but both my explorer and Ironhorse's are starting to get the wobbles bad. You would think after so many years Minelab would come up with a better idea than this foolish camlock that never lasts. Who cares what it looks like, build something that lasts! I just got a new Sunray probe on Friday but might not put it on because the extra weight on the shaft will probably make the problem worse, and I don't like it mounted higher. If I sound bitter, I'm not really, unfortunately being a long time explorer user I'm used to this!
Agreed

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread