Eagle Button and Some Pewter (No Bull.....well actually...)

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
Managed to get out on a new site with RodeoRecon and BuckleBoy. It was a large farm near my house. Everytime I drove by the place I could just imagine a house on this rise back in the field. Well, I finally got permission to hunt the farm. There wasn't a house site where I had thought there would be, so we split up and kept on swinging. I was near the edge of the property when I got a really good signal. In my first shovel of dirt I found an old piece of pottery and some glass. I called BuckleBoy on his cell, and told him I thought I was close to a site. As I'm talking to him I pull out a beautiful pewter spoon handle. I said you guys might want to get over here. I pulled up the rest of the spoon. It was in 3 pieces (it was in 1 piece until my shovel hit it). It has a maker's mark that I've been unable to locate any info on. :help: The maker was Lew el lynn & Co. :help:
We spent the rest of the day on this site. Everyone got a keeper. RodeoRecon got the only coin...an 1889 IH. BuckleBoy got a Dandy Button. I got an eagle button and a large tombac. It looks as if this site was occupied from the very late 1700's to about 1900. There's a ton of iron on this site. It will take several trips to get it all. There's also an old spring house near the site. I had to include a pic of it.
I went back to the site by myself today and got to talk to the owner for a while. He told me there was a house site near where I had imagined, but a little west of there. (cool, another site to hit) THEN he said "There's another site here too." He showed me another spring behind his house, and said "There used to be a log house just up from that spring there where those rocks are"(WAY cool, a third site to hit).
Well, I start out swinging where we missed the site the other day. I got several iron blips, but everything was pushed up near the fence. I thought to myself, "I'll hit this one another time". I made a big loop around the farm, and I think I may have found a fourth site on this property. I got a lot of iron signals, but the first two good signals I got were aluminum beer cans at 10 inches. :icon_scratch: I left that spot and headed back to the site we were hunting yesterday. Right away, I pull up another lantern/lamp piece, and a toe tap. It was getting late, and I really wanted to search the other site. I walked back up to the other spring on the property and opened the gate into that pasture. The cows and horses were a little creeped out and they kept their distance. As I started to swing, I got a good signal right away. As I'm digging, the big bull walks up to within 8ft. of me and just stares me down. I'm a country boy, but not a farm boy. I haven't been around farm animals in their un-processed state that much. Now, I'm creeped out more than the cows and horses. He snorts at me a couple of times while I'm pulling out a piece of a pewter spoon. I filled the hole, and slowly walked back out the gate. I told the owner I'd come back when I get my courage up. He said that bull never gave him any trouble. I said, "yeah, but he knows you. I'm someone who's not supposed to be there in his eyes". This property has a lot of potential. I can't wait to get back there. Maybe I'll take a bail of hay with me next time. ;D
Thanks for reading, and Happy Hunting.
Cm2db

Attachments

• Back Mark.JPG
    Back Mark.JPG
    78.8 KB · Views: 460
  • Spring House.JPG
    Spring House.JPG
    140.8 KB · Views: 453
  • Today\'s Finds.JPG
    Today\'s Finds.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 462
  • Button Fronts.JPG
    Button Fronts.JPG
    106.6 KB · Views: 461
  • Button Backs.JPG
    Button Backs.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 443
  • Static Shot.JPG
    Static Shot.JPG
    146.6 KB · Views: 442
Upvote 0

rjw4law

Bronze Member
Apr 25, 2007
Missouri
Detector(s) used
AT Garrett Max/ Garrett ATX/ Deus XP
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: Another Old Site (Or 3)

This site shows a lot of promise....were those toe plates?

Rusted_Iron

Bronze Member
May 25, 2006
Corrodedlargecentville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice relics, looks like a good site. I like the buttons!

Yeah I wouldn't want to be getting stared down by a bull in its own pen, either.

HH,
Rusted

OP
OP
coinmaster2db

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX

Rusted_Iron said:
Nice relics, looks like a good site. I like the buttons!

Yeah I wouldn't want to be getting stared down by a bull in its own pen, either.

HH,
Rusted
I dug that piece of pewter within seconds after I got in the pasture. I wanted to stay, but I got punked. :-[ The owner got a kick out of it. I'm standing there with my over-alls and my mossy oak cammo hat telling him I'm afraid of his bull. I said "I might be dressed like a farm boy, but I'm not one." :laughing7:

FortBedfordbob

Dec 25, 2007
Bedford Pa
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, GPX 5000
Nice Group fo Relics :icon_thumright: In 20 + years of hunting I have yet to get a complete, well unbroken Pewter Spoon. I had one, but broke it while pulling it out of the hole :'( Will be more careful if there is a next time ;D

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey 2db, that was a nice hunt. The weather was perfect, and three machines were swinging. :)

It's great that you are onto another site there. Hopefully that will be the very oldest one. You get a BIG Iron Brigade congratulations for finding the first site--it was in a Really weird spot. Just goes to show you that a homestead could be anywhere.

You are helping to write the next chapter with the Iron Brigade--finding the house sites that don't appear in any book or on any map. It's exciting, because these will be the very Oldest of the Old for your area.

Nice work, my friend.

-Buck

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
Coinmaster2db, I love three things about this post:
1. The type of site you guys were hunting,
2. The finds made there, and
3. The picture with the three machines on the ground (I just had to make it my computer background)

In my opinion, nothing is more rewarding than finding a vanished dwelling, and receiving signals that eventually turn out to be buttons and other relics. There will be some nice coins found there once you get a better feel of the property.

Kyle

OP
OP
coinmaster2db

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
KylePA said:
Coinmaster2db, I love three things about this post:
1. The type of site you guys were hunting,
2. The finds made there, and
3. The picture with the three machines on the ground (I just had to make it my computer background)

In my opinion, nothing is more rewarding than finding a vanished dwelling, and receiving signals that eventually turn out to be buttons and other relics. There will be some nice coins found there once you get a better feel of the property.

Kyle

Thanks Kyle,
I think we will find some nice coins there before we're through. That would make a cool background. :sign13: I think I'll do the same.
HH
Cm2db

OP
OP
coinmaster2db

coinmaster2db

Jun 25, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
BuckleBoy said:
Hey 2db, that was a nice hunt. The weather was perfect, and three machines were swinging. :)

It's great that you are onto another site there. Hopefully that will be the very oldest one. You get a BIG Iron Brigade congratulations for finding the first site--it was in a Really weird spot. Just goes to show you that a homestead could be anywhere.

You are helping to write the next chapter with the Iron Brigade--finding the house sites that don't appear in any book or on any map. It's exciting, because these will be the very Oldest of the Old for your area.

Nice work, my friend.

-Buck
Thanks Buck!
I couldn't have done it without your pointers on proper coil positioning. Isn't there a video of that lesson? :laughing7:
Cm2db

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
coinmaster2db said:
BuckleBoy said:

Nice work, my friend.

-Buck
Thanks Buck!
I couldn't have done it without your pointers on proper coil positioning. Isn't there a video of that lesson? :laughing7:
Cm2db

Yes. I posted the video in "Metal Detecting." :laughing7: I had to subtitle it because you can't hear anything but wind. :P

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you have a nice spot if you can keep the bull off of your shoulders :laughing7: I've been chased by cows and bulls over the years and have come to respect all farm animals as they can hurt you. And I never walk behind a horse either ::)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
crazyjarhead said:
Looks like you have a nice spot if you can keep the bull off of your shoulders :laughing7: I've been chased by cows and bulls over the years and have come to respect all farm animals as they can hurt you. And I never walk behind a horse either ::)

And Especially never bend over behind a horse to dig. :o

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread