Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2024
California
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Found what I think is an eagle button. Done some research and reading and I'm coming up with a raised line shield button (1875-1902). My question is the shield is different than the pics I found online - more like a badge than a shield. The back is a solid rust blob so can't read a back mark. Two questions; is this a 1875-1902 eagle button and what is a good method to try to remove the rust without damaging the button? Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1161.jpeg
    IMG_1161.jpeg
    83.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1204.jpeg
    IMG_1204.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1205.jpeg
    IMG_1205.jpeg
    161.3 KB · Views: 22

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not an expert by any means, but the rule of thumb is that iron backed buttons are civilian, bronze/brass back are military.

OP
OP
rab57

rab57

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2024
California
Detector(s) used
Equinox 900
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Ism. Did some searching based on your post and now I don't believe the button is military at all. I have found great seal buttons and their quality is a lot higher. Hopefully with more research will be able to find out more about this button.

Reactions: Ism

Ism

Jun 17, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Whites TDI
Minelab Sovereign GT
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Ism. Did some searching based on your post and now I don't believe the button is military at all. I have found great seal buttons and their quality is a lot higher. Hopefully with more research will be able to find out more about this button.
Glad I could help, but sorry for the bad news. Best of luck to you in your hunts.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread