Eagle Cuff Button-Central Florida-Civil War Era??

36coupe

Oct 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well not from any battle or camp site. Souvenir off of a coat brought home after the WAR?? Probably lost during some show and tell business.

Area is old with some nice turn of the century finds but button is a mystery. Civil War or post Civil War?? Back marked Scovil Mf'g Co. Waterbury

Calling all button experts-THANKS!

Attachments

• IMG_2758.JPG
    IMG_2758.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_2760.JPG
    IMG_2760.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 146
Upvote 8

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well not from any battle or camp site. Souvenir off of a coat brought home after the WAR?? Probably lost during some show and tell business.

Area is old with some nice turn of the century finds but button is a mystery. Civil War or post Civil War?? Back marked Scovil Mf'g Co. Waterbury

Calling all button experts-THANKS!

My mind my not be recalling well at this moment but I think your button date' s to just after the CW 1870-80's and is of the Staff Officer Type.
I would love to have dug that one CW Era or not ..Look's Great.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not saying it is or is not CW......but history does attest to CW activity here in Florida. The Union Blockade Squadron had constant patrols running up and down the coasts and into several rivers and skirmishes did occur here and many cases of onshore activity. CW artifacts can be found here if you are in the right place. I would want to know more for sure if it were my button.

peruna

Feb 14, 2016
central Texas
Detector(s) used
Simplex+
Nox 800
Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Added to the above observation by villagenut, the fact is that buttons were a valuable commodity until well into the 1880s, and were recycled to new and other garments. Great button, whatever the age. Spent 17 years in Orlando area, and 7 more in Madison County, and never ran into one like that! Nicely done.

OP
OP

36coupe

Oct 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A dug button with some nice finds close by. Beautiful old 1912 brick home nearby. Detecting area now a church parking lot. IMG_2755.JPG IMG_2742.JPG Big thanks to all who replied.

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice early 1900s Tampa token. Gotta love diggin local stuff. Anything on the back?

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice looking button and cool token & IH Cent! :thumbsup:

OP
OP

36coupe

Oct 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, more writing on the other side so this aluminum coin not really a token but more of an advertising coin. Would love to be able to make out all of the small writing at the bottom.

Can make out Richmond VA so bet there was a big Seedsman Convention there. Bet there is a date in there somewhere. I can see WKs and maybe an 03.

I am a good hour from Tampa so I guess someone here attended the show. IMG_2764.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread