Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer-AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Returned to a good cellar hole today with the good weather and managed to come out with some keepers. Did a little filming to start a Youtube channel. Fiancee came out on top with this artillery button. Cant seem to find the exact button with these back marks in my book or online so if anyone can help id love to have more info on it. The back marks say "WISHART" above the shank and "NEW YORK" below the shank parallel of each other in a straight line. Thanks for looking and any help.
CAM01921.jpg
CAM01918.jpg
CAM01915.jpg

Upvote 8

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Showtime2385 asked me to comment, but it looks like I've arrived a bit late. Most of what I could tell you about your button has already been said by others. William Leigh's prices for these buttons are an accurate estimate of what yours is worth. Yes, it has a rare variation of Wishart backmark, but unfortunately that doesn't add much to its dollar-value, because very-very-few people collect backmark variations. Still, congratulations on a rare find. :)

OP
OP
Showtime2385

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks CannonballGuy

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Showtime2385, I had more info to add, but a phonecall made me have to post what I'd written or lose it. Here is the rest of what I was going to say.

As the info posted by Crappies-n-Coins shows, the button is NOT a high-dollar-value Revolutionary War "Continental Army" button... it is from the early-1800s which makes it a US Army button, probably in-service during the War-of-1812.

The reason there are many minor variations is that the US button-making industry was in its infancy. Brass for buttons was scarce because the British were still restricting exports of that metal to the US, to protect the British button-making industry. The post-Revolutionary-War US army was quite small, therefore needing only relatively small quantities of buttons. Orders for new or replacement buttons tended to come years apart. American button die-makers could not yet match the quality of British stamping-dies. The American stamping-dies wore out, or broke, and often it was cheaper and simpler to make a new front-die (and backmark die) when the army finally got around to ordering another batch of buttons. Put simply, in that very-ealy period of American Military button-making, minor variations in the design were the rule, not the exception to the rule. Even the Albert button-book doesn't show all the known minor variations.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Showtime2385

Showtime2385

Bronze Member
Nov 19, 2013
NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of my favorite buttons...the one piece eagle on a cannon. Congrats to your fiancee for an exceptional example of an historic American button :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread