Eagle real or fake?

ppratt

Jun 19, 2003
South western PA
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
I found this some time ago in SW PA some time ago when I used to have time to hunt. Not sure what to think about it. My buddies and I used to throw down a point on the ground when the other wasn't looking then tell them it was a joke or something after they were all pumped up about the find. Well I found this one all by myself one day and it wasn't out in the open. It just got done raining and just the White tip of the wing was sticking out. I thought my buddies pulled one on me but none of them said anything and they all want it. I even gave them a call before I posted it so I would look to much like a fool. Years later they still claim they didn't do it and only a few had permission to hunt this place. I have found many points and dug many pits and found / seen anything like this. What do you think?

Attachments

• P4217799.JPG
    P4217799.JPG
    90.1 KB · Views: 1,579
  • P4217800.JPG
    P4217800.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 1,413
  • P4217801.JPG
    P4217801.JPG
    70.7 KB · Views: 1,513
  • P4217802.JPG
    P4217802.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 1,714
Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am going to have to dig up one myself before I can jump on the eagle effigy theory. Anything is possible. :icon_sunny:

Buckhunter

May 9, 2010
Elsberry Mo
Detector(s) used
Graphite golf club shaft, and my eyes
I never saw it, but an old farmer I knew said he found a thunder bird. that was 20 or so years ago and he has passed on but I would tend to believe him because he said he found it on the family farm and he had no reason to lie to me.

moundbuilder

Dec 19, 2007
Mercersburg, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE White's XL Pro Treasure Mate Pinpointer Nikon
Not going to judge authenticity on anything posted but it is an interesting topic. "Eccentric" flaked pieces with exaggerated knapping and deep serrations in odd shapes are rare but I've personally seen them found. However, every single "Eagle" or Thunderbird that I have held in my hand was a definite modern fake. But think about this; I'll bet that at least one or a few ancient and genuine pieces worked into "Thunderbird" effigies actually exist; otherwise the fakers wouldn't have replicated them. Plenty of fake bone fish hooks are around too, based on real examples. Just a thought. But, never ever pay money for one, even if it you thought it could be genuine; the fakers have ruined the reputation of the type to ever be recognized as being real and everyone (including yourself) will forever speculate "Is it real?" ???

ppratt said:
I found this some time ago in SW PA some time ago when I used to have time to hunt. Not sure what to think about it. My buddies and I used to throw down a point on the ground when the other wasn't looking then tell them it was a joke or something after they were all pumped up about the find. Well I found this one all by myself one day and it wasn't out in the open. It just got done raining and just the White tip of the wing was sticking out. I thought my buddies pulled one on me but none of them said anything and they all want it. I even gave them a call before I posted it so I would look to much like a fool. Years later they still claim they didn't do it and only a few had permission to hunt this place. I have found many points and dug many pits and found / seen anything like this. What do you think?

jackiejax

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found this site and I have one that looks almost exactly like this. My dad found it in a cave in the Cascade MOuntains on Oregon in 1948. It was wedged in the crack of a rock wall at the back of the cave and the cave was known to be a place where Indians layed over while traveling. I KNOW this is real....

jackiejax

Tenderfoot
Jan 29, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is the effigy from the 1949 find my dad made in the cave in the Cascade mountains above.... Oregon...

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
What do you guys think about this?? It was founf by a family friend near my house. It is the most authentic looking one I have seen, the flint even looks like it has eroded some on the edge near the head...
Someone took a broken piece and rechipped it (in modern times) into that form. The bright red areas are new, the hazy / gray areas are what's left of an ancient point.

tomclark

Bronze Member
Dec 18, 2006
Tampa Bay, FL
Detector(s) used
ShadowX2, TEJON, Eyes, Pony Shovel
Primary Interest:
Other
Yep, what Neanderthal said~!

Of all the Florida collections I've seen and all the artifacts I've found I have never seen a flint effigy. I have seen the best of the best FL collections, period.
I have seen many, many fakes of these items.

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
I can't say one way or the other. I do think that the "thunder bird" effigy had to originate from something real. However, fakers have ruined it. Yours may be real, but you can never really display it proudly. I have one piece that I wish I had never found. It's a curse. Everyone just laughs at it, like, dream on brother.

image-474823283.jpg

I found it! You can believe me or not. Is it real? I do not know. I know I have found many points and stone tools in the area this piece came from. Still, this one piece haunts me. This piece I'm about to post, I traded a buddy a boat prop for. I think it has been altered, but my friend swears not.

image-3536742254.jpg

I guess these mystery pieces are all part of what makes our hobby what it is.

Get-the-point

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2009
PA. NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The material on the first one by PPRAT looks to be Edwards Plateau Chert. That is from the Texas area. Dead giveaway to this piece being salted or placed before the finder of it. I live in PA and know most the materials in this region but have owned several examples of Edwards Chert in the past. This piece looks like Edwards Plateau in my opinion. I have never seen that material in PA...................................

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread