Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last weekend I was detecting in a creek that runs through a plantation that was started in the 1680s, where I have found many colonial era and some Rev War relics. There was a large brick mansion on the property with a main entrance road that crossed over the creek not far from the house. Saturday I discovered evidence of the bridge, mainly bricks in the bank and in the creek at one spot.

Tuesday Dirtstalker and I returned to the creek to hunt the bridge and the rest of the creek. I was working the bank where the bricks were and dug a brass flat button out of the side of the bank.

Then just a few feet away I hit another good signal and dug a flat, thin metal disc out of the bank about an inch deep. I could see that it was very ornamental and my initial thought was dandy button, but it had a small hole in the middle. I called Allen over and we looked it over and came up with a guess that it was a sundial.

The rest of the day was slow-I found a dropped. 69 caliber round ball and some sort of tiny silver bead and that was it. Allen's Deus went lame (but the AT Pro worked like a champ :laughing7:) and we called it an early day.

I posted the mystery find this morning in the "What Is It" forum and several members made useful contributions. I also messaged Crusader about the item. He replied and told me that in the 18th century there were pewter toy pocket watches for "rich kids." Using this lead I used Google to find pictures of a toy watch face on the UK "Portable
Antiquities" web site:

https://finds.org.uk/database/artefacts/record/id/279671

I have posted a picture of another one found in the UK with the case.

These toy watches were made between 1700 and 1750. The faces were designed to mimic real watches made in the late 1600s; the one I found reads "HUX" and "LONDON". Hux made pewter watches during that period.

You can see diagonal notches along the rim; the toys had a spring and brass strip that rested on the rim. The kids could change the time by turning the dial clockwise and it would make a clicking noise.

I'm pretty stoked to find such a unique relic, especially knowing its provenance. The plantation owners were one of the wealthiest families in South Carolina in the 18th century and the toy probably belonged to one of their children. I would imagine the kid dropped it on the bridge and it fell through cracks and was lost for over 250 years-until my lucky day. :headbang:

Attachments

• 1466119389554.jpg
    1466119389554.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 138
  • 1466119511954.jpg
    1466119511954.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 124
  • 1466119551478.jpg
    1466119551478.jpg
    274.6 KB · Views: 148
  • 1466119566642.jpg
    1466119566642.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 135
  • 1466119580612.jpg
    1466119580612.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Upvote 15

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glenn first off that place is Cursed at least it has one on me. First Deus goes lame then my Carrot dies(rip) :laughing7: I have been there several times and couldn't find my butt with both hands. Its just one of those places I never had a good feeling about and it doesn't like me either. That said......
Congratulations on such a unique find and researching it and finding out what it actually is. Based on the fact I never have seen such one on here or anywhere and it's so unique. I Vote Banner

Last edited:

gheenoe78

Nov 21, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find and congrats on the research to pinpoint the match. Sounds like T-Rav's great granddaddy dropped that thing.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the historical find! :occasion14:

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; You may want to consider donating it to the Plantation in a frame as it has no known value other than it's History value. I think it would be great to have your name on a Plaque as the Donor. Just think of the PR it would give you and the hobby not to mention some of the closed doors now opening up for you. It's a WIN WIN Situation. Good Luck. Let s know ok. PEACE:RONB

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately the plantation is no longer in existence.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I knew they existed, this is actually a rare find in the UK, so must be very rare over there. I've had the odd 18th C pewter toy but not seen this type before.

CONGRATS.

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although I knew they existed, this is actually a rare find in the UK, so must be very rare over there. I've had the odd 18th C pewter toy but not seen this type before.

CONGRATS.
Thanks again for your help!

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell ya what It would be cool if you could go back and find the other piece. Then donate the whole thing to the soon to open DirtStalker Museum.:occasion14:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now that's something I've never seen on TreasureNet before! VERY cool find! Great that it's the entire face, not bent or partially gone.

Cheers,

Buck

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now that's something I've never seen on TreasureNet before! VERY cool find! Great that it's the entire face, not bent or partially gone.

Cheers,

Buck

Thanks Buck!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's a cool piece of history Good job!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BARKER

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
BOSTON
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett GMH, Toltec 100, Whites PI 3000, Fisher 75, Whites Silver Eagle 2, Whites Beachcomber, and several others from 1968 to Present
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Then maybe the local Historical Society. I'm positive they would love to have it on display. Think about it. It is truly a RARE piece that would be great on display and your name would be tied to the Town forever for all to see not to mention the PR and the doors it could open for you that were closed before. Great Find. I'm thinking of Voting for it as a BANNER find. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

OP
OP
DownNDirty

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi; Then maybe the local Historical Society. I'm positive they would love to have it on display. Think about it. It is truly a RARE piece that would be great on display and your name would be tied to the Town forever for all to see not to mention the PR and the doors it could open for you that were closed before. Great Find. I'm thinking of Voting for it as a BANNER find. PEACE:RONB :leprechaun-hat:

Thanks Ron-that's something to consider.

s.c.shooter

Bronze Member
Jul 28, 2008
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov- AT PRO - AT Max - Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a really awesome find!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread