Early 1700s Spanish Silver, Dandy Buttons, Copper, and Brass.

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got back to my early 1700s site and had a great day.
Just getting around to posting Saturdays finds. Ended up digging a large Dandy button with shank and Colonial Copper coin right off the bat, which was 2 firsts for this site.
Also dug some strange Brass and lead I put in the What is it section. Would appreciate it if anyone would check these out for IDs. There is one lead piece with drilled holes with wood still in it. Would love to know what this is, as well as the others.
Click here to see other finds. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/what/484988-lots-strange-lead-brass-early-1700s-site.html
The copper is 22mm. Not sure what it is yet. Im pretty sure its colonial, but its pretty toasted and I haven't been able to get any details yet.
Ive tried 24 hour soak in dist water. Light room temp Q-tip rub with room temp peroxide to remove any surface dirt that I couldn't get with a toothpick. and several Verdi-care treatments and still nothing. I know this baby is toast, but we don't dig many old coppers here, and id love to get some details. My buddy found one a little smaller than mine Saturday, and rubbed his and got some letters on the side. I cant remember the letters, but I do know the U was spelled with a V. Not sure what to do next, any advice appreciated.
Also dug another Phillip V Half Real Cob.
Its kind of funny/sad, im actually more excited about the copper and the buttons, as theyre firsts, as ive already dug several silver cobs here.
DSC03520.JPG DSC03521.JPG
So heres the pics of the 2 dandys. Ones is 26.5mm and the other is 27.2mm. Im really excited about these.
Also there is a piece to a small buckle, some .59 cal round balls, an end to an old spoon or fork.
Would really love to know more about these pieces, esp the dandy buttons and spoon ends.
This area had a French Miltary presence here. Wondering if the Dandys are Military or civilian.
Ok, just discovered these are pre 1730's military.
DSC03523.JPG DSC03524.JPG French_Drilled_Shank.jpg
Here are a few other brass items I just wasn't sure about, would love to get help on these. Id/ages..
The S shaped item looks like a crank. Theres one item that looks like a trigger guard, and the long item has a design on it.
DSC03525.JPG DSC03526.JPG
Also last but not least. My first 1865 Indian head penny and a St Rita Religious necklace pendant.
DSC03527.JPG DSC03528.JPG
Any IDs and suggestions will be greatly Appreciated.
HH.

Last edited:
Upvote 12
OP
OP
PBR

PBR

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the cob and french marines buttons not to mention all the other sweet relics
Thanks Patriot. Cant wait to go back.
Cobs and French Marine buttons go hand in hand, round these parts anyway , I guess it happens in other places too!
Nice hunt!
Thanks Ironhorse. Crazy thing is that ive dug more cobs than buttons here. Perhaps its because im still cherrypicking the high and mid tones.
Running out of high and mid tones though. I know im supposed to be digging low tones too, but every time I do it turns out to be a tiny piece of lead or something worthless.

ironhorse

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2009
East Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Thanks Patriot. Cant wait to go back.

Thanks Ironhorse. Crazy thing is that ive dug more cobs than buttons here. Perhaps its because im still cherrypicking the high and mid tones.
Running out of high and mid tones though. I know im supposed to be digging low tones too, but every time I do it turns out to be a tiny piece of lead or something worthless.

That is another aspect of hunting early French sites, ever present lead especially small little pieces infesting the area; do yourself a small favour and dig ALL those lower tones!
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions