Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Early 1800's one room school house....HELP

I am trying to find the foundation of an 1840's school house that is on an old plat map made in the 1860's. The area is now wilderness but it was near a fork in a stream and I think I found it but it is smaller than I expected the foundation was about 15 by 20 feet. There is no mortar in the joints. There were only a handfull of farms in the area it needed to serve. Even then this was considered a very rural mountain area. My question is what is the smallest one room school house you ever heard of? could this be it? I have not detected it yet I just found it today.

Copperhead

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2007
The Constituition State
Detector(s) used
Ace250
Re: Early 1800's one room school house....HELP

relic lover, I think it could be.. There is a restored one near me, and though I don't know the dimensions, I don't think it's much larger than what you found.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004

The foundation didn't have to go under the entire structure either. There are many houses here that only used stone pilings for foundations set every 8 feet or so.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X

15 X 20 Not to bad! And sometimes the cellar hole is not necessarily as big as the structure. I live in an old house that has a half cellar/half crawl space setup. Work the area slowly. We sometimes tend to give a quick once-over and never go back.

Good luck!!.....HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread