OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some of you may recall that I found my first US Large Cent a few weeks ago in my Father's back yard in SE Pennsylvania. It was a pretty rough specimen, but I did give a date of 1820. Perfect age for what the early maps say was a Methodist Church in his back yard. The Church was built before 1820, and was moved in 1860.

Since that time I have been back to my Fathers' house several times, finding nothing more exciting than a few beat up Indian Heads, some bent up period brass, and a lot of early forged nails. Until today. Nice weather, so I thought I'd give it a shot.

I have tried to be selective with what I dig, because there are MANY targets in my Dad's yard. Within about a half hour of getting started I hit a solid 50 target on my F70. I hit this target the last time I was hunting the same spot, and passed it up. Not sure why, but today I decided to dig it. Glad I did. About 5 inches deep.

Near as I can tell, it is a Masonic Jewel made of 18K gold (acid tested). It is not marked in any way (which means it is likely of American manufacture). Note on the front, the bright-cut decoration (typical of late 1700's to early 1800's silver work). On the top half of the piece is a Masonic compass and square. On the bottom, is a Masonic arch. Both are symbols used to decorate masonic Jewel pieces.

As I have learned this afternoon, a masonic "jewel" is a medal, medallion, fob, necklace, or other precious metal article decorated with Masonic symbols, and worn in ceremony. This piece seems most likely to have been hanging from a chest medal or similar item. Note that the inside cavity is hollow (which was sometimes used to place ceremonial scrolls, etc, inside).

I'm certainly not an expert, but this thing looks like a pretty cool early Masonic item to me.

fob1.jpg
fob2.jpg
fob3.jpg

Upvote 22
OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OWK, I just saw your response and I must say - you make a very compelling case for it being masonic with your high lighted
pic and the other illustrations . I'm always impressed with the education this site offers, and I'm eager to learn more about this
remarkable find .

MackDog

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2013
Spokane Wa
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro, 8 x11" and Nel Storm coils
Garrett Propointer er, Pro Pointer AT
White's V3i Standard, 10" DD, 13" Ultimate and 4 x6" sniper, 6 x10 coils, Drect 12 x 15 coil
Whites MX Sport With Detec
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No need to be reluctant in your skepticism. Discussion is good.

I pondered over this piece for awhile before making the post, and concluded that the represented motif (although admittedly stylistic) could not be accidental. Particularly the compass and square. (I have taken the liberty of roughly highlighting the compass and square in blue).

View attachment 1030643
View attachment 1030644
View attachment 1030645

Given the unusual nature of the piece (it is a hollow pass-through rectangle with the center completely open, as if to store something), and the compass and square represented at the top, I really couldn't draw any other conclusion. Some might argue that this represents wishful thinking, but I really don't have any particular desire for this to be a masonic piece. I simply called it as I see it. It's a small piece, and the decoration is bright-cut (making it stylistic rather than representational) but that sure looks like a compass and square to me.

I can't think of any reason that a piece of jewelry would be made with a hollow pass through center (lockets were already common), and include a bright-cut representation of a compass and square, unless it were intended as a Masonic piece.

But I'm open to other interpretations.

Because of the eyelet on top of the compass I agree I think it's a Masonic piece. Nice find

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very interesting piece. I wonder if it might have held some sort of cloth/ribbon or some such. Such as in ceremony.

In any case, a very nice find!

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a very interesting piece. I wonder if it might have held some sort of cloth/ribbon or some such. Such as in ceremony.

In any case, a very nice find!

Staring at this thing this morning, I kinda wonder if it wasn't some kind of connecting piece for a medal, where the ribbon was held in this gold piece, which connected it to a medallion below, and a pin above.

I dunno. Could be anything I suppose... The Masons certainly had all kinds of shiny and dangly bits.

Some look similar to this one.

00374-2.jpg
7539648_4_l.jpg
f9b1ec3be86429eef9bf92fa310f6f50bc931732.jpg

OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OWK, I just saw your response and I must say - you make a very compelling case for it being masonic with your high lighted
pic and the other illustrations . I'm always impressed with the education this site offers, and I'm eager to learn more about this
remarkable find .

Still not certain, but I'm compelled enough to try to learn more.

Got_4by4

Feb 9, 2009
Treasure Valley Id
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-Pro, White's IDX/Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks.

Took a few minutes to figure out it was actually old. I was pretty jazzed.

Other than seeing what you WANT to see, You don't include any links to items of similar design or other background info of items as old as you think this is. Other pics of masonic items are distinct in their design and not general such as this. There has to be an explanation for the hollow and links to research to back up the findings. The last thing that puzzles me is why if being 18K it isn't a brighter color. Did you do the test or someone else? I AM NOT CONVINCED!

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
OWK

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I AM NOT CONVINCED!

Your opinion on the subject is a matter of complete indifference to me, as I suspect it is to most.

Let me offer you this free complimentary puppy to kick.

Last edited:

wheatfinder13

Silver Member
Nov 23, 2012
New Orleans
Detector(s) used
Teknetics alpha 2000 ,garret pro pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got_4by4 said:
Other than seeing what you WANT to see, You don't include any links to items of similar design or other background info of items as old as you think this is. Other pics of masonic items are distinct in their design and not general such as this. There has to be an explanation for the hollow and links to research to back up the findings. The last thing that puzzles me is why if being 18K it isn't a brighter color. Did you do the test or someone else? I AM NOT CONVINCED!
Chill dude,
Nice find by the way

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got 4by4 - C'mon you really can't be serious ! You really aren't capable of expressing a difference of opinion without going
on an angry rant - SERIOUSLY ???

Dopalgangr

Tenderfoot
Jul 13, 2014
MD
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 and Garrett PinPointer Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your opinion on the subject is a matter of complete indifference to me, as I suspect it is to most. Let me offer you this free complimentary puppy to kick.
now that's hilarious! BTW Got 4by4, If you bothered to read his first post he states that he acid tested it for gold.

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your opinion on the subject is a matter of complete indifference to me, as I suspect it is to most.

WHAT!?!? You mean you DON'T post on here so that you can be put on trial??? ;)

thommo59

Mar 6, 2014
Australia
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Garrett AT PRO
Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is cool

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OWK, I remember reading your posts on this forum because you always give very informative and well presented opinions and thoughts. In the last year and a half that I have been a member here, I have noticed another thing: It seems those who give the most advice and have the strongest opinions NEVER post any finds themselves! I find this very odd. How is it they can know what they are talking about with no evidence of experience in the hobby themselves? It seems some of these people are not here for the same reasons most of us are....to learn and help others, but to try and impress by spreading doubt or strong armed opinions. You have a nice piece and I will not let jealousy dictate my thoughts on it.

DavidGC

Jun 25, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a Master Mason, my first thought when viewing the item was, "OK, compass and square, masonic."
The Masonic "Jewels" you refer to in your original post are usually much larger than this piece. I do not think it is one of these.
This item is small enough to have been worn as a pin, a pendant or even on a charm bracelet.
The hollow nature of the item is curious. It implies that something would have been held inside - a miniature booklet perhaps? I can't imagine what (this is not part of any Masonic ritual I know of -- though each state can have slightly different traditions).
I'm wondering if this might have been meant for a woman. Women cannot be Freemasons, but there are other organizations (Like the Eastern Star) that use some of the same symbols, and Masons might buy jewelry for a spouse or daughter with symbols on it.

Definitely an interesting find!

coin1921

Dec 1, 2006
Manitoba, Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Deus V 3.2
Bounty Hunter Water Detector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
OWK,
Found this under antique mason jewelery
Not exact, but similar. masonic.jpg

WawaDuane

Oct 12, 2013
Northern Ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro International
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am also a Master Mason and I do believe this to be Masonic in nature but for what I'm not sure. If it held something it would have had to have been very small. Cool find for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread