Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey guys,

Earlier this week I had the opportunity to buy a small lot of flat buttons dug in the lowcountry. While the seller only wanted $6, I offered $50 for what I believed could be an incredible find among the common civilian varieties. I posted the details in the colonial forum- http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/n...0/520464-really-what-i-think-rattlesnake.html. While I was over the moon to add a rare, unlisted rattlesnake cuff to my button display, I had no idea I would be adding another from the same period today while out digging.

20161103_203942.jpg 20161103_204008.jpg

Yesterday evening I headed out to another tried and true spot. As the tides were less than ideal, I texted DownNDirty to let him know I'd be headed to my colonial pit "which always seems to give up a flat button". Well needless to say it didn't disappoint. Among the iron, the CTX gave off the familiar 12-12 of a small flat button. Dug the plug, pinpointed the small round button, popped it into the keeper case and off I went. After arriving home, I noticed a raised design on the front...but not like any I had seen in the past. After careful cleaning, the button revealed a familiar 18th century image of a "chicken eagle" with frog legs. The challenge- this cuff variety isn't listed in any reference material I can find. I can, however pinpoint this particular eagle motif to shortly after the Revolutionary War.

20161106_005028.jpg 20161106_005037.jpg 20161106_005140.jpg 20161106_005213.jpg

Why 18th century army officers cuff and not a new nation/diplomatic cuff? In steps a bit of an assist from Robert Silverstein. Official Diplomat button .. flavor is there, but not quality for a diplomat, but at this time these people were considered military officers. Copper would be officers, Brass more official. So, 3 categories I would place this in. I would go American made and Post Revolution to Wayne's Legion years. My personal hedge is for an early Army “Officer’s button”. Why not Official Diplomate or New Nation Tribute button hedge? All of those specimens are very high quality buttons, and their insignia demonstrated that in the craftsmanship. Your button is nice, unusual, rare, but not super high quality for those two purposes. Also, in my consideration, at this point in time the US Army was really small, so it would not be unusual for a new appointed officer to have something made.

Logic is certainly sound- copper 1 piece, crudely made, and bearing the earliest form of the American Eagle. Hard to believe I dug a cuff that was manufactured at the same period as the rattle snake cuff that I stumbled upon earlier this week (1784-1792).

Update: The eagle button is in fact an unlisted US Army Officer button from the Era between the end of the Revolutionary War and 1800- it will be featured in Bruce Bazelon and William Leigh's upcoming book on early American buttons!

20161106_202516.jpg 20161106_202534.jpg

A bit further down the site I got another low deep tone- 1830s zouave coat button

20161106_202146.jpg 20161106_202036.jpg

Also managed to get a bit of pit sifting in today with Stef-

I'll let him share his goodies in a later post, but I did manage to walk away with an etched tombac and a bone craved button!

20161106_202301.jpg 20161106_202307.jpg 20161106_202325.jpg 20161106_202335 (1).jpg

Also scored a partial pipe bowl with Q T stamped on it and a partial megalodon tooth...not sure how that ended up on the colonial plot- this one intact would be the size of a dinner plate!

20161106_202229.jpg 20161106_202629.jpg 20161106_202642.jpg

Best of the sifted pottery

20161106_202727.jpg

What a way to break a 2 month military button slump...love this rare Army Officer cuff. As a button guy, I'd rather dig these than coins! Another great weekend in the lowcountry, thanks for looking!

20161106_201932.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 29

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
amazing! bucket lister for sure! congrats!

Palmetto Pony

Aug 21, 2016
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus /Teknetics T2 Classic/Garrett Pro Pointer II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You earned those my friend. As I discovered you definitely work for them outta that place! LOL I was still cleaning out mud today!

BTW, I'll shoot you a text tomorrow evening if that's okay. I've got some HUGE news about our other project.

Great job! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You earned those my friend. As I discovered you definitely work for them outta that place! LOL I was still cleaning out mud today!

BTW, I'll shoot you a text tomorrow evening if that's okay. I've got some HUGE news about our other project.

Great job! :icon_thumright:

Thanks John, sounds good can talk tomorrow

Last edited:

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow that's a killer button buddy. I'm thinking BANNER but will do a bit more research. Love the look of it

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats again on finding a rare military button, and welcome to the wonderful world of pit sifting :occasion14:

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still can't believe those two buttons! Once in a life time finds for sure. Cant wait to get back to sifting aka our new addiction.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow that's a killer button buddy. I'm thinking BANNER but will do a bit more research. Love the look of it

Thanks Abe, scoured every button reference material I've got and didn't not find an exact match. The eagle bears a striking resemblance to GWI 24, but lacks the craftsmanship as well as holding more than 3 spears in the talon (stood for 3 branches of government). Style and design certainly lends itself to an earlier version of the Wayne's Legion Eagle. Thrilled to add this one to my display

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That thing is killer! I spent all of 5 minutes trying to find it online and obviously failed. ha My Avatar eagle button never got 100% IDed, however it was close enough to the early "US Diplomatic Service" buttons that I am certain it is a variant of those. With all the variation in those early buttons, with little left documentation, there is no wonder we find ones that are not in the books... I don't know if that makes them rare or not, but it certain means the author didn't have access to one when he did his research... however there could be lots of them in collections. After all, there are no qualifications required to write a reference book... so the author puts his\her best research down for others to reference... so there are errors and gaps all the time.

That button really is amazing and I love that style of eagle. I think your spot on in your date range just a couple years post rev war.

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats again on finding a rare military button, and welcome to the wonderful world of pit sifting :occasion14:

Thanks Glenn, we got spoiled on the first pit with 2 buttons in the first shovel full. Definitely need to pickup a magnet and covert the sifter to a rocker type

OP
OP
Patriot Relics

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That thing is killer! I spent all of 5 minutes trying to find it online and obviously failed. ha My Avatar eagle button never got 100% IDed, however it was close enough to the early "US Diplomatic Service" buttons that I am certain it is a variant of those. With all the variation in those early buttons, with little left documentation, there is no wonder we find ones that are not in the books... I don't know if that makes them rare or not, but it certain means the author didn't have access to one when he did his research... however there could be lots of them in collections. After all, there are no qualifications required to write a reference book... so the author puts his\her best research down for others to reference... so there are errors and gaps all the time.

That button really is amazing and I love that style of eagle. I think your spot on in your date range just a couple years post rev war.
Thanks Brad, while I doubt I'll ever find a 100% match the style and construction is almost certainly early post war. Although crude compared to your diplomatic eagle, I'm impressed its survived this long given the salt conditions.

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep we might need to put all the blue pieces we found yesterday together. lol

match.jpg

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Still can't believe your online purchase Jon. And that button you dug is unreal. I think this sifting disease is spreading uncontrolled.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you sure did make out on that deal :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread